main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't get a refund. My taxes are complicated, thus why I procrastinate doing them.

2. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Ahh. I wouldn't understand anything at all about taxes if it weren't for my dad showing me this site called TaxChopper.ca, really helps narrow things down.

3. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Welcome to the board!!

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Welcome, Lunarcat! Good to meet you. I just joined myself a little under two months ago, and I too have been nervous about posting my writing for many of the same reasons you mention (so I too am grateful for the encouragement offered a few posts ago by TrakNar). I've found this bunch pretty friendly and supportive so far, so I highly doubt any there will be any bashing in of heads. So go ahead and show us what you've got! :)

Hooray, Briannakin! Congratulations on the end of your term. Time to pamper yourself! :D (Well, once the taxes are out of the way, anyway.)

I was experiencing a lot of forums slowness yesterday, too, which at first I thought was just my own pokey old laptop. Things seem better today, though.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    It won't happen here. Concrit is not allowed privately or publicly unless you specifically ask for it.
    This is a troll-free zone. The worse thing that will happen is nobody will comment on your story. Before you post anything you should read the FAQ thread that is pinned on the top of the Fan Fiction and Writing Resource Forum (this thread is in that Forum). That will tell you what you can and cannot post. There are a lot of banned words and certain situations are not allowed. It is in an effort to keep the site PG rated.

Welcome to the boards. :D

Edit: Good news! I closed on the vacant land next to my house. I can now cut all those trees down that are threatening my house. Bad news! The quote to remove the trees is $10,000. I think the old man that came out to the house to give me an estimate has been smoking too much medicinal marijuana.

I know it costs about $200 per tree when you need to avoid homes, but a lot of the trees can be chopped down with no problem of them falling on a structure. I guess I am going to have to remove the trees a little at a time. The first ones to go are the giant leaning poplar trees between my house and the neighbor's.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Congrats, Jedi_Lover!

You know what you must do. If you build it, they will come. ]-}

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow lots of happy stuff! :D

Welcome to the boards Lunarcat ! As everyone has said, people are pretty nice on here (at least in fanfic) so you don't need to worry about that! Jedi_Lover has some great advice a few posts up... exactly what I would have said. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or Briannakin, that's what we are here for! :)

Congrats on being done for the semester, Briannakin! I know that is a great feeling! :D (I kinda miss that feeling. ;) )

Glad you got the lot, Jedi_Lover! Yeah, that price seems a little steep for trees where you don't have to avoid things! 8-}

I thought the board slowness yesterday was just the crappy wifi on the bus I was taking, but turns out it was just the boards. Or maybe a combo of the two considering it took forever to load anything. ;)

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I bought some salmon oil to put in Mabel's food.

Man, does it stink! It makes her stink, too! She'll be smelling like salmon covered in coconut oil.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Is it for some kind of medical purpose, or just for flavor? Scented oils are so funny (strange) that way... whenever we eat something with lots of garlic in it, the Findshusband claims that pretty much my entire person smells like garlic the rest of the evening.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Poor Mabel has dermatitis, so it's for her skin. Rather than yet another vet trip for yet another steroid shot that only works for two weeks. and for the vet to just say the same thing, I'm just going to supplement her diet and rub her with coconut oil. The vet said to change her diet, and I did, with only varying success, so it's time to change it again.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I just made this:

[​IMG]

I'll wear it to the Faerie Festival.

Goodwood likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats on getting the land JL, What are you going to do with it after you take down the trees? Re-sell or build an amusement park :p

As for my real estate adventures, the market is starting to get better. We are going to go look at (what seems to be) the perfect house for us tomorrow. The only problem is that it backs onto a elementary school, which is great for resale and if my sister decides to have kids while she's in the house, but there is like a ton of other people also wanting the house, just for the location. The place went up today, but no one was allowed to get into see it, but we managed to nab a 15 minute viewing tomorrow and if we like it, we gotta act fast.

That is an awesome hoodie Trak.

TrakNar likes this.
  13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    That hoodie is adorable, Trak. :3

TrakNar likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin I'm going to keep the lot. I'd rather prevent somebody from building next to me and it is nice to increase my lake frontage. I want to to plant a garden. My husband wants an in ground pool, which I think is the stupidest thing I ever heard. We live on the shore of a lake and on top of that the kids and I don't like swimming. It is a lot of upkeep for a pool. Maybe if he hires a young muscular pool boy to take care of it...then I'll tolerate it. But, since we are poor pensioners I doubt that will happen.

Gemma likes this.
  15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Great hoodie, Trak!

Yeah, a pool sounds kinda silly, J_L, they are a lot of work and if you have a lovely lake to swim in, why would you want to be in a pool? (I grew up swimming pretty exclusively in a lake, so I'm kinda partial.)

I have some exciting news! :D After starting the application process in March of 2013, I guess I'm finally a member of the Federal Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT). (So I'm a temporary employee of the US government if I get deployed to a disaster, but it's not an actual job that one could hold as a job). A few weeks ago I got an email stating I needed to sign a bunch of things (and get them notarized), fill in even more forms and get them back in 2 days and I would have a start date. I didn't hear anything back and since this has gone on so long I figured I'd hear one way or another eventually. Today I got an email stating the things I need to do to get the travel credit card to use if I get deployed. This is the only confirmation I've gotten about being on the team I've gotten, hence the 'I guess' at the beginning of this long story.

But I'm super excited! It's not that I want a disaster to happen, but if it does, I want to be there.

Goodwood and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hopefully you are not sent to help in the Ebola Virus outbreak. That sounds scary. Is your job world wide or just the USA?

Bad news--my car is in the shop AGAIN! The mechanic is determined to get me a new car by replacing every part in the vehicle over the next year. :( My car lost power while driving today. It was like when you have a standard transmission and you go from 5th gear to 2nd by accident. The car slows suddenly and makes a weird sound. Well the Anti-lock break system light went on but the car was driving okay. Then the ABS light went off and the 4WD! light went on (I wasn't in 4WD) and the car slowed suddenly. If this is the transmission then I will just get a new car. I just put $1300 into the vehicle before Spring Break. This irritates me to no end. So my husband has to put his pool dreams on hold and we need to start looking at new cars. :rolleyes:

I really hope it is a $150 sensor that went out and that's all. This car is paid off. I don't want another monthly car payment.

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh no! That really sucks. :( [:D] I hope it's not the transmission!

Probably wouldn't be for something like that, but we can be sent anywhere in the world. It's more for things like very large natural or man made disasters. The team I'm on has gone to to 9/11, NOLA for Katrina, Haiti for the big earthquake, I think NY for Sandy, among other things, but it's that type of disaster.
    I think if it's outside the US, they have to ask for help, I know the teams weren't deployed for the Philippines typhoon last year because they had it pretty well under control. (My hospital sent people though.)

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Congrats, Mav!

I hope you don't have to go, because then we'd only have Briannakin around to rein in our craziness! Better find an emergency substitute that you can activate, just in case... ;)

19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Congratulations on your DMAT certification, mavjade! May we never need your services! :D (Meant in the best possible way, of course. If any of us were in fact in need of disaster aid, I'm sure we would all be tickled pink to get it from you. ;) )

TrakNar, you look quite sharp in that hoodie. I'm curious to see how this will look with the wings (also yellow?). :)

Jedi_Lover, sounds like things have been up-and-down on your end—wonderful that you've got the land, but the car stuff sounds like a royal pain in the rear.

Ah, what can I say about my day? The UO had a haircut appointment at 3:30 this afternoon, but I accidentally took him at 2:30 instead, and then of course had to take him back at 3:30 even though the FH offered to take him because he (the little guy) insisted that I take him (if that all makes sense). Which ate up all my afternoon work time so that I technically have another hour of work left to do for today. But there's little to no chance of that happening for the simple reason that I'm mortally tired.

On the other hand, things are actually starting to grow in my yard: daffodils, crocuses, hyacinths, etc. There's even one snapdragon that seems to have wintered over (I kid you not).

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks to Scott's Lawn Service, the only thing growing in my yard is thick, lush, green grass. Not a weed in sight. :D

...what's that? I have to mow it? Well, thanks for ruining my day. :p

Findswoman likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I overhead an infomercial about some lawn seed that produces dwarf grass...or something like that. If I remember right the grass grows to about three or four inches and then stops. That sounds like the perfect lawn.

Gemma and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    Hey guys!

We used to have a problem about how to keep the grass down, until we figured out a solution, we put up wires so that the horses could roam the grassy areas, but not escape onto the driveway.

Course... that might now work if you don't have horses. How about goats? Goats are great! :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

When I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, one could often see goats grazing along (I think it was) I-580—they were brought in specifically to control the brush. :)

24. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    Best weed whackers in the world!;)

Findswoman likes this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    If I got goats I would need to have an invisible fence since I think goats can jump over a wire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.