main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Quick reviews:

East of West Volume 2

Dragotta's art has never looked as good as it does here and the weird story continues to entertain. It's one of those books where I have no idea where the story's going but I'm fascinated to find out. Hickman's design aesthetics give it a unique look too.

Saga Volume 3

Highly enjoyable and feels like a midway conclusion, albeit one you don't see coming which makes it all the better. The book remains wonderfully entertaining and very consistent. Some quite excellent one-liners too.

Thor: God of Thunder: The Accursed

OK, I can see why there's dissatisfaction with the Accursed arc's conclusion, as that betrays that it was a transitional, move-the-piece tale. The result is the hunt for Malekith is fundamentally lacking in its finale. The other two stories are quite interesting, one of how Thor found that no, he couldn't have a dragon for a friend. The other sets the seed running for the next volume's arc and works as an epilogue of sorts to the God Butcher arc.

It's certainly the weakest of the 3 volumes thus far, but it's still very good and the way Aaron uses narration boxes sets it apart from the mass of titles. As for that last page of the arc, Muspelheim eh? That can only mean one thing....

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    James Robinson interview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52344

Really liked this bit:

Also, IDW solicits had this kick-arse cover image:

[​IMG]

soitscometothis likes this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    That is some grade-A Simonson right there. Very nice.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's one to keep an eye on all-right, placed it on the 'watch for the trade' list!

soitscometothis likes this.
  5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I sat in on a panel with Walter and his wife and they talked about this comic last year at Fan Expo in Toronto. Good to see it here finally!

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

If this were any other creator, I'd probably raise an eyebrow at the fact it's basically him just reworking a lot of his old ideas. BUT DAT SIMONSON.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, yeah, on the cover it is a bloke with a hammer facing a dragon - But no one does that quite with the sheer gusto that Simonson does!

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

but seriously plz Marvel

plz stahp

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Comic fans for the past 10 years or so: "Too much Wolverine!!!! I hate him in all my comics. Get rid of him!!!"
    Comic fans today: "ZOMG you can't kill Wolverine, I lurve him!!!1!!!"

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm assuming we'll have a miniseries called Battle for the Other Cowl, where Jubilee, X-23, Daken and Willie Lumpkin battle for the right to be Wolverine. Oh, or maybe a series called Reign of the Wolverines, with four Wolverine lookalikes appearing in New York: The Bub, The Best There Is, Weapon X and Patch. Followed by a series called The Return of James Howlett, of course, featuring Wolverine in time.

srsly

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Personally I'm looking forward to Sabertooth becoming THE SUPERIOR WO-

Wait, I made this joke.

Penguinator likes this.
  13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Marvel's spent the last three years positioning itself as being in-tune and hip to the issues surrounding the comics industry, at odds with DC's constant need for event series, variant covers, and other actions designed to boost sales.

"GUYS WHAT IF WE KILLED OFF WOLVERINE?"

Doubly hilarious because they just did it with Spidey.

14. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Why so surprised? This story has been telegraphed for like a year since Wolverine lost his healing powers (again). There was even an arc called "Killable".

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it's not really new news and Logan's been so crap for the last 4-5 years that killing him is the only solution.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    There's no surprise. We've known this was going to happen for one year, at the very least. It's skepticism at the idea of yet another "we are killing some main character that's inevitably going to return in a couple of years tops because otherwise the marketing department would have our heads in spikes" story being able to tread any kind of new ground.

Penguinator likes this.
  17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I get that and can agree with that. But character deaths and resurrections are par for the course in superhero comics. And it's not like Wolverine was treading any new ground lately while alive. Why not retire the character semi-permanently, whether it's for a page, a week, a month, a year, or a decade? I look at the creative team and see McNiven's name on it and I know that the book will at least look great. And I've been enjoying Soule's work on Letter 44 as well. Yeah it could be lame and cliche but look at Cap's death. Are you really gonna say that Brubaker didn't have a good and compelling story there? I'm just trying to reserve judgement until we learn a little more.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Darth-Lando likes this.
  19. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm looking forward to The Bub!

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm a big fan of both Superior Spider-Man and the Death of the Dream saga, the Grayson!Batman and Damien!Robin books were amazing, and even Hickman's Three was pretty good. But seriously, again? I'm not talking about deaths being retconned or overtuned; I'm talking about these pre-planned "death and return" sagas. They all have the same structure, they all feel the same, they all end in a "back to basics" relaunch. And it's not even the regular Wolverine writer doing the deed! Not very hopeful.

Frank T. and Penguinator like this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    On a tangent...

For the third straight year, one of the comics shops in town will be doing a Make-A-Wish raffle. Donate some money and win a chance at a rare comic that's very valuable. Two years go it was an original copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 and last year it was Amazing Spider-Man #1. This year, a near mint copy of "The Walking Dead" #1. If the money in the raffle that's donated exceeds $10,000, they'll issue #2. Another two thousand will add issue three, with issue four coming in with an additional two thousand and $18,000 will get issue five added to the mix. $20,000 will add the sixth issue. And you don't have to be a resident of the state to participate.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140416/GO/140418823#.U1q2iPldXa6

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    For a second there I was thinking they were selling TWD #1 for that money, and I was about to snark about how it's not worth nearly that much :p

EDIT: Also, anyone reading Batman: Eternal? This is pretty good comics right now.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm ambivalent on Batman Eternal, keep the comments coming and I might get the first trade in December.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, interesting:

http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=52437

[​IMG]

Also this bit:

No way! Finally?

25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    At some point, it would've been amazing in Infinity to have Thanos winning, and all the multi-verse things happening with it tying into Angela's presence and so on, and then when it looks like all hope is lost? "KIMOTA!"

I really hope they do something like that.