main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Some of the original Clone Wars comics

spicer likes this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    If you pick up the the Dark Times omnibus volume 1, no other stories are necessary since all you need is there. If however you read it issue by issue, then you only need Republic 79 and 80 (Into the Unknown) which are prologues to the story.

3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Is it possible that Abeloth was influencing the galaxy before Jacen released her? If yes, for how long?

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I am sure she was before the Killicks imprisoned her. Not that that matters it probably wont be in the new ST

5. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Like you I'm keen to get into the comics. I've only got 1-3 hard copy books of the original releases of the A Long Time Ago (Marvel 1970s and 80s) collections (rather than the newer Omnibus editions). I remember borrowing my cousin's copies of Dark Empire when that originally came out too.

Not sure if you meant physical copies or digital versions but if it's the latter, Dark Horse Digital have a 3 day sale this weekend and the prices are mega low (50% off normal web price and there is supposed to be a newsletter 10% code that can be stacked coming today too).

I've put a few things in my basket (the Thrawn trilogy graphic novel bundle, the Long Time Ago Omnibus bundle, Dark Empire bundle). I might go a bit spending mad if I'm not careful. I'm just hoping the USD $ prices work for me (I'm in the UK) and the comics are then connected to my account. Does anyone know if UK based peeps can use the US website store?

6. KeithyT

Apr 17, 2014
    I just read a couple of "Best Dark Horse Star Wars Comics Ever" type articles and most of what has been mentioned the last couple of pages were included.

Purge is one that came up on both articles that no-one has mentioned. Recommended?
    Infinities was also mentioned as a great "what if...?" series
    Star Wars Tales seem highly/fondly regarded too.
    Even Classic Star Wars Archie Goodwin newspaper strip collections?

7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Yes.
    They are a fun read, give them a try if you can find them.
    Also, a very fun read (most of them anyway).
    Haven't read those, I can't comment.

KeithyT likes this.
  8. KeithyT

Apr 17, 2014
    Thanks spicer

I had to stop myself for now at the complete Marvel Omnibus Bundle, Thrawn trilogy bundle and Dark Empire but such bargains (I know some prefer physical copies and you don't technically own e-comics but I like the virtual space saving and love the panel view navigation on iphones).

That Marvel bundle is going to take me some time to get through...

9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    No problem :) Enjoy the read

10. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Purge is just Okay, IMO.

I'd put these at the top of my list:

Tales of the Jedi (minus Redemption)
    Dark Empire (weak ending, but a very good series)
    The Clone Wars (Republic)
    KOTOR
    Jedi Vs. Sith
    Legacy
    Rogue Squadron
    Empire/Rebellion
    Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin
    Boba Fett : Blood Ties
    The daily strips are Brilliant but they edited them into comic book form & colorized them

Some good starting points.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you are a Fett fan I highly recommend the Boba Fett comic omnibus.

Gorefiend and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Can't go wrong with Cam Kennedy!

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, this question just became a lot simpler, no?

14. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    So, just double checking, it is official that we are not getting anymore omnibuses? No Darth Vader and... omnibus?

If not, crap. Those are some expensive volumes. Are they really worth it, or should I focus on picking up other things like Empire, AOTE, Republic, TOTJ, Blood Ties, Knight Errant, Invasion etc. and get those later down the road if they are still available?

15. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    This. There are some stories I was really looking forward to. I always thought of the EU this way...if the movies didn't contradict it (which could until now be said about all post RotJ EU), then I take it as having happened in the EU and thereby made it more enjoyable. I was looking forward to attempting to get the entire catalog of Omnibus Books available from Dark Horse over the coming years. Now two things give me great pause. 1) Will I be able to find these once the mantle has officially passed to Marvel, and 2) Is it even worth it now that it's not canon?

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think anything has gotten simpler. I think it's simply the Mouse trying to force the fans' hands while having it both ways for profit. The Legends books still exist and some will yet still read them and 'cannon' is merely a label.

17. Staplepuffs27

Staplepuffs27 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
    Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm just getting into the EU and I'm wondering what comics or novels are the "safest" to read in regards to the new canon. I'm thinking about reading the Darth Bane novels, because I hear he makes an appearance in TCW (which I'm watching through now), and I maybe wanted some backstory on him. Thanks for the help.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Nothing is 'safe' from the Mouse.

19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Don't read the Bane novels, read the comic Jedi vs. Sith instead. It's much better written in general and offers a much more interesting interpretation of Bane. It will also take you a lot less time.

Trip and Gorefiend like this.
  20. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I've never quite understood what everyone has against the Bane novels.

I do dislike how they made Bane a young sith rather than an old grizsled vet, but overall they were a good, if simply written, exploration of the character.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Was it not that it made plot hole by having Bane create the role of two and making the jedi think the sith was extinct at the same time making it hard to explain how the jedi can know about the role of two while believing the sith being extinct for a 1000 years?

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Guide To The Force tried to fix that - with a Jedi going dark a couple of centuries before TPM, and repeating the "always two there are" line when captured.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's the best they could come up with?!

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty much.

It's not like the Jedi had any opportunity to find out about Bane having just invented the Rule of Two in the Jedi vs Sith comic, either.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Is this the same guy mentioned in Darth Plagueis? Darth Gravid, or whatever he was called?