main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who Is the greatest lightsaber practitioner in the Star Wars saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Polydroxol, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Phoenix267

Phoenix267 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    The first Jedi dullest comes to mind is Yoda. Yoda is presented as one of the most legendary Jedi Masters in history. I was amazed watching him duel both Count Dooku and Darth Sidious; two great lightsaber masters in their own right.
    Palpatine dueling the four Jedi Masters was awesome in ROTS. I loved reading how he was so skilled and fast that it was like dueling a phantom.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi was a brilliant dullest who always knew how to use his head. He would go on defense and attack when he saw an opening.

There are numerous of great characters to choose from. These three characters are my personal favorite when it comes to using a lightsaber.

Vialco likes this.
  2. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
    Windu, inventor of a form of Lightsabre combat

Yoda, Master of All forms, excluding Windu's form

And Obi-Wan, master of a few forms of combat

Honourable mention to Luke

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Probably Anakin. His emotional state got the best of him in RoTS, but he dominated the duel against Obi-Wan and defeated Dooku - one of the best practitioners alive.

Yoda, Dooku and Luke (from someone will little or no experience/training).

4. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
  5. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Mace Windu is without a doubt in my mind the greatest light saber duelists of his age and one of the greatest to ever live. He created a light-saber form known as vaapad which is a variation of Juyo. Vaapad is not just a light-saber form but a state of mind its about embracing inner darkness and turning an enemies darkness into a weapon of your own redirecting a siths darkside, furry, anger and fear back at them. This is why Windu beat Sidious in his duel in ROTS and why Windu did not only absorb Sidious's lightning but redirected it back at him. Also given Windu's ability to see shatter points with in the force gave him a great edge in combat. If you believe that Sidious let Windu beat him i suggest you look to the novelization of ROTS by Matthew Stover in which its made clear that Windu won that duel and might have ended the war had Vader not intervened. Nerd mode disengaged :-B .
    Honorable Mentions Include Dooku Obi-Wan Luke SIdious and Vader.

DarthIshyZ and MOC Yak Face like this.
  6. Taris

Taris Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2014
    Okay here's my top five.

1. Darth Bane- The man was a pure monster to fight. Lightsaber to lightsaber I do not believe anyone is the entire saga with each in their prime could have defeated him, much less last an entire two minutes with him. Two meters of pure muscle augmented by the force mixed with lighting quick speed, most powerful force user of his era, and lightsaber resistant skin. Humm.... do I need to continue?
    2. Mace Windu- Best actual all around duelist if Bane wasn't such a monster would be on top of the list.
    3. Yoda- Needs no explanation.
    4. Sidious- Vader. Maul. Dooku, know as some of the best duelist was all his students and he could defeat them all without breaking a sweat.
    5. Kenobi- Actually out of all of the best duelist he is the least skilled but Kenobi as somewhat of a survivor factor. Kenobi's greatest victories were over opponents who were way more gifted than Kenobi but that survivor factor always pulls him through at the end. Kenobi is the wildcard out the bunch the least skilled but he has a fair shoot of taking out anyone on the list. Oh and for those who may say what about Kenobi never beating Dooku. Anakin beat Dooku, Kenobi took Anakin's legs, nuh said.

James Skyrunner likes this.
  7. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    Mace, Yoda, Dooku or luke(EU). Those are who I would say are the best.

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Whatever happened to the OT assumption that using the Force is what's most important? I mean, we didn't see Luke go to Dagobah for lightsaber training... :rolleyes:

James Skyrunner likes this.
  9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree.

10. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I agree with this. Several lightsaber duels have no clear winner or are marred by a real possibility that someone wasn't trying 100%. I think it's more about a "Tier 1" with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Dooku, and Palpatine than it is about one ultimate master. Mace and Grievous I would put in Tier 2, partially for lack of on-screen (OK, live-action) evidence to the contrary.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    Although that is a difficult question to answer, I believe that he/she cannot be a Jedi.
    Bear with me here. The Jedi seek out combat training, but do not focus on it as much as meditation. The Sith on the other hand do the opposite. If the Sith are not at a galactic war, then they are at a small war/Cold War/ skirmish etc. Their nature makes them aggressive; they covet more power. And they believe that they can attain that power only through combat (with a few notable exceptions of certain Sith Lords). Sidious himself said that anything of significance is a result of conquest.
    That is why they put combat training above all else. They see no other ways to achieve power.

Now that this is out of the way, I believe that the contest of the greatest duelist lies between: Revan, Mace Windu, Sidious, Yoda and Bane.

Dooku used to be among the contestants as well (for me), but there is a lack of material regarding his lightsaber skills and achievements when he was younger. Yes, he was amongst the greatest duelists in the Jedi Temple, but in the later years, we see him being unable to defeat Savage and Ventress together. An apprentice and a beast with hardly any skills. And yet he runs when he has the chance.
    Onboard the Invincible Hand, Dooku is defeated by Anakin Skywalker. Chose One or not, I am inclined to believe that Dooku's defeat was a result of Anakin's rage and not his lightsaber skill.

12. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

I was about to disagree that "Shatterpoint" said that only one student mastered Vaapad, the 7th lightsabre form. But, Yoda was not, in fact, a student. Gotta do some research before I disagree here.

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    As far as I'm concerned, there is no "greatest lightsaber practitioner".

If many had been talking about Yoda or Obi-Wan, would you be harboring doubts about them, the way you are obviously harboring doubts about Mace Windu?

14. jedi_samuel

jedi_samuel Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    To the person who said Bane:
    In the "rule of two" novel, I was under a strong impression that the opposing jedi lightsaber master (I forget her name, the one with two lightsabers) would have easily destroyed Bane, if not for his orbalisk armor.

15. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Probably Yoda or Mace Windu.

16. Taris

Taris Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2014
    Bane was using a lightsaber style that favored pure offense with little regard for defense because of his lightsaber resistant skin. After he lost the skin he switch his forms

17. Taris

Taris Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2014
    Also remember Bane's former master was technically better than Bane with a lightsaber and see where that got him. Pure skills dont mean much in actual combat a duelist brain is much more important. Ahh...chew! Anikan. This is what seperate the good from the great

18. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    I say mace windu or yoda are the best duellists.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, I'd normally say Palpatine not just because he's mastered all 7 forms, including dual wielding, but because he's skilled enough to freely switch between them in combat. This, coupled with the fact that he was Darth Plagueis's apprentice, would suggest Plagueis was a master duelist. However, Plagueis's master, Darth Tenebrous, had a secret apprentice called Darth Venimis or something like that, and if not for Plagueis's skills with the Force, would have lost the
    duel
    So I'm gonna go with Darth Venamis. Venimis. Venny lenny

20. Chat Wars

Chat Wars Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014
    The best lightsaber of the saga is that of Sidious

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think it's either Sidious or Yoda, Mace would come after them. Anakin, Obi Wan and Dooku sort of tie for 3rd and it falls into an old boxing saying that styles make fights between the three of them.

Luke is a wild card. This is the guy that triumphed against the greatest threats to the galaxy both in terms of technology and the Force. I would not bet against him under any circumstance. I cannot wait to see Luke's power level decades after ROTJ in EP7.

22. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    I think it's Yoda. I'm not sure it is particularly close, either. Guy fought Palps to a standstill. Dooku had to threaten Anakin and Kenobi to get away from him.

23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    If it's pure lightsabre ability I can't go past Mace. If we're looking at general ability in a lightsabre duel it's hard to say, as other force skills often come into play.

24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anakin obviously. his defeat came from hubris.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Anakin squeaks into the top six. :p