main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I would keep him a munn.

mes520 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  2. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    AWESOME!!! In the same vein as the Luke book they announced, Del Rey is publishing a faux-autobiography of Chewie:

[​IMG]

Ichthyocentaur, Ryus and Doop like this.
  3. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Its the holiday special all over again!

4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Some fans dislike him for the sole fact that they don't think Muuns are threatening. I'm ambivalent. :)

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

There is no why, we as fans do not deal in why because we are not privy to the creative process. I am not a mind reader. I deal in facts. And the facts, to restate yet once again, are this:

I never said canon, I said inspiration or stealing. Big giant difference between the two. Even in the video released today Lucasfilm employee Dave Feloni says that the EU will continued to be mined for content and inspiration. And, as has been officially stated today by Lucasfilm: "Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s."

6. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    In my opinion, Munns are scary as @#$%.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    There are no guarantees. However, previously we had the Creator (Lucas) and everyone else. The number of Lucas movies was understood to be finite. Now we have a corporation trying to maximize shareholder value, with a never ending stream of Star Wars movies. So I think they will keep it consistent for their own benefit.

Lurknomore and Dra--- like this.
  8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I mispoke. Consistent should mean legitimate. They could upend the whole thing in 30 yrs just to make things fresh and reinvigorate revenue for the shareholders.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    So I wonder what will it mean for The Old Republic Era stuff? Funny the prequels will always be canon but not epics (& highly rated) media like KotOR etc not fussed about a lot of Post ROTJ going however. Part of me is happy we have a fresh slate but do get a feeling of 'what a waste' for stuff like Bastila/Korriban/Naga Sadow etc. Ah well.

10. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998

Wow, we aren't just famous... we're in-famous.

Momotaros likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I was kinda expecting that the EU would no longer be canon at the time of the Disney announcement so I've had time to come to terms with it. (And honestly from a business perspective, I can completely understand it.To beholden to all that would be difficult at best.) No matter what they decided to do, it doesn't diminish the things I've loved about the EU and I will always have those things. I really like the way Del Rey put it, that a legacy is a story that people love and sometimes is routed in truth and sometimes is complete different, but no less loved. That explanation went a long way in making me okay.

That being said I'd be lying if I didn't say that I went and pet my Mara Jade statuette when I read the announcement. :p

JediGirl_Angelina, KevinM1 and Dra--- like this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Personally I don't see a problem here. I think it makes sense to reboot everything every 20+ years. We'll certainly see the same thing in the Marvel film-verse. At some point, a long continuity becomes too heavy and inconsistent to maintain. We'll probably see the OT, PT, and ST all rebooted at some point, and that might be the best thing for the franchise at that point.

But at this point in the present, we have a new continuity for the next 20+ years. I don't see any reason to worry too much about it. Just enjoy the new continuity while it lasts.

Also, another possibility is that they begin to visit new eras in the GFFA, and ignore the whole PT-OT-ST era. If that approach works, they might spend 30 years exploring the Old Republic before even thinking of revisiting the Skywalkers. It depends on how well received those OR movies are.

I also think if you're someone who thinks TCW will be rebooted at some point, you should be just as worried that the PT and OT will be as well. Once they start redoing those eras, everything is up for grabs.

And if you're a GL purist, you'll always have TCW, PT, and OT. GL's canonical works. The ST too, to a lesser degree.

13. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003

Korriban's still there, they just say it with an "M" now. Just think of it as an Istanbul/Constantinople sort of thing and move on.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Actually, I'm kind of very excited about this. Now, if I feel like it, I can start following the (new) EU from it's (new) beginning.
    Fun stuff.

Exactly. Multiple names over the centuries. No big deal. Still gonna call it Korriban though, sounds better.

15. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I've talked about this before but for anyone who is having trouble reconciling the end of pre-sequel EU, why not create a jumping off point for yourself so that both versions exist in separate versions of the universe?

You could split the universe along OOT/SE lines with the different versions of the ending to Return Of The Jedi being the jumping off point. In the OOT version, the Ewoks sing Yub Nub, ghost Anakin is old and the Empire continues to fight, being rallied by Thrawn for a campaign against the New Republic. In the SE version, Anakin is young, Coruscant and other worlds rise up against the Empire, ensuring its doom, ultimately leading to Episode VII.

If you want an in-universe explanation for the split, the Emperor is the key. As the Emperor falls down the reactor shaft, he attempts to use his dark powers to preserve his consciousness. This causes a rift in the Force, causing reality to shift, creating two universes. The universe where Palpatine succeeds and end up in a cloned body is EU. The universe where he fails and meets oblivion is the new continuity. Perhaps in this universe, his death lifts the shroud of the Dark Side and a galaxy that's no longer afraid is inspired to rise up as seen in the SE of ROTJ.

I'm not suggesting that my idea should be made official and it may be a bit too sci-fi for Star Wars, but it may help to reconcile the changes in your own mind.

The Revanchist and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    So you're wanting to go all Doc Brown alternate timeline on us????

[​IMG]

GREAT SCOTT!!!!

17. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Here's my two cents on the "new direction" (EU) announcement:

First off it's all about managing "expectations".. This is why the PT has so many haters, they "expected" something totally different than what they received, and usually their comments are hidden behind "bad acting. bad directing, bad storytelling, too much CGI, etc."

A lot of folks are already setting themselves up to be angry and disappointed and we are still a year and a half away from the release of EP7. SERIOUSLY?! Did you think Lucas was one day going to make the Thrawn Trilogy = EP7,8,9??! Really? As much as you LOVED it or didn't love it, the odds are Zahn's stories making to the big screen were zero to none. And not just Zahn's but any other writers material. Think about it, was Lucasfilm going to just make canon everything that was ever published and just make movies and TV based ONLY off of those publications? Again you are being naive if you thought that, and you may or may not be a disillusioned PT hater.

So what would you have them do? Make all EU in to films/TV, etc? Or maybe only make the stories "YOU" like into film/TV? Again, you CAN'T please EVERY fan. Using the Thrawn trilogy as EP7,8,9 may please Thrawn EU fans, but just piss off everyone else. Lucasfilm is in a hard spot here, I think there only way out was to say that they are "Legends" and everything going forward is canon.

Look, I'm not immune to this either. It kills me to see what TCW did to the Mandalorians. It kills me to see that Karen Traviss' vision of Republic Commandos weren't better used in TCW. I actually am a big fan of the Old Republic. I like Darth Malgus, Darth Bane. I even liked Starkiller. I liked the story of Han and his girlfriend Bria. But I'm going to put on my grown up pants now and realize that they can't please everyone so pretty much they have to hurt everyone. I'm fine with that (reluctantly).

But it's not all "Doom and Gloom" people... A LOT of EU has always made it to canon! At least when Lucas was in control. Couruscant exists because of Zahn. The 501st made it into ROTS because of the costuming group. There is still a chance Thrawn can be in the film! Han and Leia may still have kids and they may have the same names. I doubt EVERYTHING is going to be thrown out.

I for one am glad they are throwing out "Chewbacca gets crushed by a moon death". Chewie is too bad @$$ not to be in EP7 (and hopefully 8 + 9). Right there is a good choice of throwing out BAD EU.

It's all a gamble folks. Some of us might get some the EU we like in the films, while tossing out the EU we hate. On the other hand, they might take EU we hate and sprinkle it in. We just have to wait and see....

markdeez33 and Krueger like this.
  18. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

This is heavy!

I'm not a big fan of EU but I appreciate that a lot of people will be disappointed that it's being set aside so my idea is an attempt at finding a way to ensure that those stories and characters will continue to matter in some form (obviously they'll always matter to those who enjoyed them). Unfortunately, my idea would only work for post-Jedi EU. Pre-TPM EU is pretty much screwed.

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Amen to that

BigAl6ft6 and phatdude1138 like this.
  20. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    IMO, this is is really nothing more than a confirmation of common sense. Of course the new films aren't going to be based on the old EU. That idea never made any sense. There's, what, 20-30 years of post-RotJ material, most of it pretty shoddy (I'm looking at you, New Jedi Academy)? There's no way the new trilogy would touch that behemoth network of characters and stories with a Hutt's tail.

And I really wouldn't mind it if a lot of the pre-movies EU was ignored or swept away, too. And I say this as a SWTOR subscriber. The never ending Jedi vs. Sith cycle is ridiculous. It just doesn't hold up under any kind of scrutiny. The idea that every so often the galaxy plunges into the same war with the same factions, largely at the same level of technology and aesthetic choices is just... dumb. Sorry, but I can't think of a better/kinder word for it.

I'm also excited for confirmation of a unified media campaign. It's really a long time coming, IMO, and seemed like the way things would go with the Disney acquisition. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the blueprint, and it's incredibly smart for Disney to double down on that kind of multimedia push.

I really think that the end result will be a tighter universe, one that makes more sense overall, and is more accessible to everyone.

Take what works, jettison the rest. I'm giddy. This is what the franchise has needed for years, IMO.

21. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    This. A fresh new start to the franchise. I can't wait to get my hands on the new books!

22. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Search your feelings, you know Disney wants this

Doop likes this.
  23. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    PLEASE NO!
    Even the birth of the twins in ROTS was uncomfortable. Any birth scene in a movie is uncomfortable.....

I Better stop the quote pyramid now.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Baumer

Baumer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2014
    I want the rule of two erased from cannon so we can have a MASSIVE JEDI/SITH WAR!!!

Doop and Dra--- like this.
  25. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    It should be built up first, like the actual battle would happen in episode 9 or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.