main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Support the London tube strike

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Nonsense! This paragraph was laugh out loud funny, as well as accurate: "I imagine him doing something like that. Although the oaf has no imagination, so I imagine him needing to use dolls or something. Telling them what to do, instructing them how to eat breakfast (a frugal offering of porridge - made with water, not milk) and passing half a million pages of secondary legislation controlling every last tiny aspect of their lives"

I bought Tony Blair's "A Journey" on audiobook. Why? One, I was interested to hear him explain his legacy away. Two, it was read by Blair, which is a real treat. His way of speaking, has always been, of immense interest to me. He puts, pauses, where none ought exist; and has particular way, of speaking.

Joy comes in the form of Tony trying with half a bottom to explain his controversial decisions - inevitably, they end with "Believe me or not, I don't mind". Kind of like the French waiter in the Mr Creosol skit. The other part comes from the way head prefect Blair puts down Brown. He feels compelled to make a token effort at being conciliatory and the Better Man, but it's weak and transparent so you just get this leader who restored Britain's fortunes in a way (and ushered in the glorious ascent of 'ealth and Safety) having a schoolyard bitch.

Highly recommended for that, and his cadence, alone.

2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I'll check it out. I always found his diction bizarre, as well as his weird, puppet-like hand gestures.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

3. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It appears as if nobody was brought in to throw bottles and stones and police. YOU CALL THAT A UNION STRIKE THEN LADS?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-27152030

Why are they walking off the job Monday evening? Why not Monday mornin', 'ave a four day weekend at the poob?

5. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    Tube boss not 'optimistic' strike will not not not be not called off....NOT!

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If I had a gazillion dollars and took over the world, I would make you minister of newspaper headlines. I want all headlines to be written that way.

It'll be glorious!

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  7. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i mean i couldn't figure out what the original headline was saying so i just fugged it up even more

slightly_unhinged and Ender Sai like this.
  8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Meanwhile I have to go to work in London next week you not not not not not

weiners

9. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    I stopped counting the nots. What did I end up with?

10. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    so...we're not weiners? i'm so bad at this.

11. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    You started it, I thought you were the expert

harpua likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

So you is proper 'appy 'bout dis bruv?

13. duende

Apr 28, 2006

no, i just fugged it up, i didn't expect to have to INTERPRET it.

14. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I'm bored enough to unravel the not knot... they came out as not weiners.

**** trying to get to the City in that lot... I'll be working from home next week.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Awesome... I shall stalk you accordingly.

16. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

By 'work from home' I really mean 'spend all day at the gym while checking work e-mail every half hour or so on my phone' :p

harpua likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why not spend the whole day trying to stay awake and occasionally nearly having to tap a red button? That way you could empathise in practical terms with tube drivers?

18. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    If only I had the sharp wit and fortitude to achieve such a thing. Then I would have the respect of my fellows, the adoration of women and the income of an OPEC Sheikh.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You forgot the "gratitude of commuters" in that list.

20. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i met an actual tube driver on saturday night! he said he listens to music even though he's not meant to. he says others watch movies and read books even though they're not meant to.

he spent the whole night trying to chat up everything nearby with a pulse and a vagina, even though he has a gf and a kid.

so there you go, undisputable evidence that tube drivers are ****'s.

he was a pretty friendly guy though.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you meet him on his 190ft yacht?

22. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    no, but it was one of these fancy, hipster, craft beer type establishments that are cropping up everywhere. "brew dog" it's called, in shepherds bush. i blame these places for making £5 for a pint borderline the norm if you want to drink centrally (not even proper central, really) and want to drink anything besides your standard ales or lagers. of course, £5 a pint for him was just pocket change.

there was also some guy sitting in the corner on his own with a fancy craft beer and a laptop. on a saturday night. wtf

23. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    although, given the price of beer in Australia, £5 a pint is probably considered pretty standard

24. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Ah well, strikes going ahead. Apparently people should be paid (close to double the market rate) in perpetuity to sit in ticket offices that no-one uses. It's not acceptable for them to keep their jobs at the same salary but have to leave the kiosk and actually interact with customers.

Moving house next week, cycling to work from then on.

25. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    fortunately i'm working near London Bridge for the next two weeks, so i can get the overground straight there and back.

according to tfl only 3% of people use the ticket offices.

the number of jobs affected are c.900, 650 of which people have already taken voluntary redundancy. the remaining 250 would be given other roles. so no actual job losses whatsoever. and yet they will disturb however many million people because of it. pathetic.

the sooner the government add public transport into the "emergency services" criteria or whatever it is, the better. London is completely reliant on public transport and it's irresponsible for it to be brought to its knees for the sake of 250 people whose job responsibilities are going to be mildy changed to reflect the modern ****ing world.

the sooner they bring in driverless trains as standard, the better, too. all the tube drivers can go back to being bus drivers, who actually have to put up with a load of crap from customers, navigate busy streets and earn a pittance in return.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.