main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    But I'm not "friend".

You win. I'm a troll, you vanquished me, congratulations.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Final warning. Drop the attacking each other or there will be people taking a vacation.

There's a big difference in talking about the announcement and how it effects things and what is going on here. If you would like to discuss it, please feel free to PM me.

Dra--- and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I don't disagree that there will be continuity issues in video games if it helps sell the game, but, those issues will be minor. However your general statement of "No video game is ever going to be hindered by a "canon" talk" is simply not true, as to my example of SWG. There are reasons why Darth Vader, Luke, Han etc are never allowed to be killed in the story of the Video Games once LFL put their foot down on the Continuity discussion. Moving forward I would expect to see that same treatment to the Video Games under Disney, which is a hindrance to selling the game. There are so many people that would love to kill off a Main Character in a game, but, they won't (or at least I don't think they will) get that chance.

Furthermore, expanding on Force Powers not seen in the movies is not contradicting canon. Just because we don't see it in the movies, doesn't mean the power doesn't exist. Originally the Holocron, which is the database that Authors and Developers used in EU so as to not contradict Canon or Continuity, was set-up with the principal that nothing in the movies could be contradicted. A force hurricane is not in the movies, thus an author or game developer creating it isn't contradicting the movies.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Well we've arrived back to common ground.

Because that was entirely my point from the beginning. There truly is nothing worth getting angry or carrying on about here.

All the material that was out there remains.
    And new material is to come.

Nothing has been lost, and for those open to it there is more to be gained.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed, but if we can't discuss the de canonising of the entire EU...in the EU thread then you may as well close down the whole forum (IMO). Also, you have to expect that a huge development like this will stir up strong feelings in people. I'd be allowing a bit of leeway with regards to how robust the discussion gets.

Again, just my opinion. You guys call the shots.

6. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm cool with not dicussing it further. Mavjade, sorry about that.

7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Ok. Where we seem to differ though is your cynicism about it all. Since they're about to release a ST that will contradict the EU, it's perfectly reasonable & expected for them to clarify the canon.

Dra--- and Lord Nikon like this.
  8. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Are we all agreed that things are going to be cherry picked though? Mara Jade possibly, or Thrawn (25 years after his appearance in the Old Testament EU)? Seems like they might do at least that.

Ryus likes this.
  9. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Oh and Cumberbatch as Thrawn. I'm calling that.

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Casting announcements on Tuesday? Or maybe on Monday?

Lurknomore and Gallandro like this.
  11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

And this needs clarification.

What, do you imagine, I am cynical about?

I have no problem with the EU being "erased" from canon.
    I have no problem with the story group pushing a new idea of "canon".
    I'll have no problem when, inevitably, new issues arise in the new "canon".
    I'll have no problem when the new "canon" is one day altered, just like the old.

I think Disney and Lucasfilms should do what's best...for Disney and Lucasfilms. I thought that before when it was just Lucasfilms. Even when I didn't agree with a certain book, or game, or change to the film, I supported their right to do what they wanted with their material and to make money. As a consumer I can chose to buy, or not buy. But I'm not in this for the greater Star Wars good. I'm in this for my own entertainment. Doesn't matter to me anymore what category it all falls under. If I enjoy it, I'll include it in my own personal fan experience. If not, then I won't.

I see no cynicism in that approach.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    I'm sure the SG and NEU will eventually be retired. Marketing will continue to become more fiercely targeted and the technology will continue to grow and the "next gen" fans will grow up etc. But for now, they're the new bosses.

It's funny, 'cause I remember the same arguments when Dark Horse announced that the Marvel SW comics were no longer "canon" (or whatever word they used back then). There was also a similar reaction when the Del Rey books didn't simply continue what was happening in the Bantam, even though they retained the character continuity.

The original EU was unique, it turned into a hugely complex collaborative project that included editors, writers, visual artists, game designers, toy makers and the Force knows who else. That was Lucas. He's gone now. Disney's not interested in just trying things and seeing what happens. They're locking down on SW to make it a strong, unified brand. It'll have it's positive and negative aspects. But I'm quite glad to be rid of the Vong & post NJO stuff and 75% of the Bantam era. That material just didn't "feel" like SW to me. Also, as a novelist, I have to confess that I'm excited by the prospect of writing new ancient Jedi stories. As soon as I replace my old agent I'm going to throw my hat in the ring & see what happens :)

13. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    This is the most concise and accurate post I've seen about this whole shebang.

If the Marvel Franchise is any indication, then Disney will be pushing through a strong new canon, and that's only going to be a GOOD thing.

Agree with all of the above.

Though I'ma miss Pre-LEGACY Jaina, I won't lie. :p

KevinM1 and EternalHero like this.
  14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Was referring to your comments such as:
    Disagree with this completely. When you have 2 stories occupying the same time period as they're about to have, you need to tell fans which one is canon & which one isn't. No point saying "there's no such thing as canon" when there clearly is in this instance.

It's not just a commercial/marketing decision. It's also a creative decision. They want to tell a different story than the post RotJ EU. Nothing wrong with that, & nothing wrong with clarifying the canon as they've done today.

Dra--- and Lord Nikon like this.
  15. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    So are they basically saying this is the official Star Wars Canon Timeline now?

*Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    *Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    *Star Wars: The Clone Wars Animated Film
    *Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series
    *Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    *Star Wars: Talkin (Novel)
    *Star Wars: A New Dawn (Novel)
    *Star Wars: Rebels Animated Series
    *Star Wars: Lords of the Sith (Novel)
    *Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    *Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi (Novel)
    *Star Wars Episode V: Empire Strikes Back
    *Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    *Star Wars Episode VII

Dra--- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    Initially I was sour because I've spent thousands of $$ on books, comics, games etc. I own most if not all of the EU in book and audiobook form. More so my TIME invested that if far more valuable than simply $$. As my Friday afternoon wound down I was happy, tGIF it was payday baseball was back and all was right in the Universe, until I read this...I expected the EU to be made as a reference for the films, simply because there's so much there that can be used. Was the EU in its entirety great? No not at all but I loved it nonetheless, it allowed me to follow my favorite characters and grown to love new compelling ones as well. Shoot I almost named my son -Jacen-actually I initially wrote that name then went with my own -Jason-my wife and I still think we should have kept the former.
    Anyway, we have to understand Disney is a for profit company, they spent ~5 billion in this license they need to at the very least double their investment. I expected them to whore out the merchandise and milk the IP for all it's worth. I just truly never expected Disney to obliterate it like this. Yes I understand we still own the material and i for one will continue to re-read and listen to my collection ...I guess in the end with a day to dwell on it I'm more disappointed than angry with Disney...we can't say that something like this wasn't expected...

Fastback likes this.
  17. Granek

Jan 12, 2012
    My understanding is bane Plageus are still canon since they are not 'post ROTJ' it would be a shame about Darth Plageius as that-in my opinion-was the best EU novel to date and actually made the Bantha Poodo that is EP1 make sense and watchable. Not to mention Plageius was simply 'that dude' and made Palpatine look like a fool in comparison

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Bane and Plagueis novels are non-canon. Only the characters are canon.

EHT and Dra--- like this.
  19. Granek

Jan 12, 2012
    Where does it state this? I understand that all post RoTJ was blown up

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Because it all gets the legends-label, not just the post-RoTJ stuff. So it's all non-canon for now even if some might get reintroduced into canon in the future.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Plagues the character has now never appeared in the canon.

22. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012

Oh I forgot the "Darth Maul" Comic series coming out next month which was a future season of The Clone Wars not-produced. So "The Holiday Special" or any of the 80's Ewoks movies as well as the Droids Cartoon Series didn't make the cut?

Dra--- likes this.
  23. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    I'm just surprised that the Darth Maul comics are part of the new EU, but not any of the Henry Gilroy Clone Wars comics, or the webcomic prologues. I guess it's just easier to make a clean break?

24. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012

I thought Plagueis entered Canon by being mentioned by Palpatine in "Sith". I'm unsure if the recent Novel stayed in cause nobody mentioned it.

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Or they need that particular canon for the ST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.