main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion TCW & Rebels Now Officially Canon, EU Not Canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I gave an honest look for this news posted elsewhere, but couldn't find it, so here goes.

A blog post today at starwars.com clarified what is and isn't canon now, and what will and won't be canon going forward: http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

Long story short, the six films and TCW are. Everything else isn't. And here I must emphasize, the post specifically states that TCW is canon:

So, end of story there.

And going forward...

Good news, Rebels fans!

And bad news to EU fans. But hey - that doesn't mean that you should like the stories you liked then any less going forward. if they bring you enjoyment, that's what matters.

Dra--- and Mr. Atom Bomb like this.
  2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Something terrible has happened........

And those Kids represent the EU, and Anakin is Disney, who cut down all of them, without mercy, the EU did not stand a chance against the mighty mouse, not a story was left alive (in continuity).

3. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love a lot of EU material- some SW novels are just good novels period, and this announcement won't detract from that at all. Those stories will still impact me whether they're officially recognized or not.

But you know, the fact that I hate most of the post-ROTJ EU is also making this news a lot easier to swallow :p

cwustudent likes this.
  4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The Droid Arc is canon but Darth Plagueis is not.. :_|

5. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Wrong sir, wrong. Plagueis (in terms of Luceno's novel) is not canon.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The Spacebattles.com vs debates forum is in meltdown right now. Just about everything that made SW one of the uber powers over there was EU-based.

They lost their one ship BDZ, lost their ICS with its gigaton turbolasers and light second ranges, lost great commanders like Thrawn et al... This announcement is like the Red Wedding for warsie vs debaters.

Theo333 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think that's what he meant. The only way I can reconcile in my mind the idea of Gascon and WAC being part of the "official" story and the Plagueis novel not being part of it, is to not to give a **** about the "official" story.

Slapping "canon" on a **** sandwich doesn't stop it from being a **** sandwich, and slapping "not canon" on a well-done story does not make it any less of a well-done story, although I imagine those authors are annoyed.

Both TCW and the now-"Legends" EU has good stuff and **** sandwiches, so I will continue liking what I like, hating what I hate and responding with "Who cares?" when told that something I hate is "official" and something I like is "not canon."

8. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    This was no surprise. We all new this was coming.

darth fluffy and kubricklynch like this.
  9. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It was inevitable this was going to happen. I'm fine with it. I will still enjoy reading the EU novels. Still at least this means TCW is Canon.

The EU is now, for me, what could have been. And most of it, especially the newer stuff was rubbish.

10. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I do quite like some of the EU, some of it I don't like and other things I'm indifferent/don't care about but no matter the content, it's certainly kind of sad to see them close this book which has thousands of pages and hundreds of characters by now. But to be honest, I don't really have any hard feelings about this since the EU was never deemed canon from the start and the fact that they put an end to it was to be expected, especially with Disney behind the wheel and the big changes that followed their aquirement of Lucasfilm and the franchise; something like this was bound to happen sooner or later (and now they can start on a clean slate with the upcoming films, TV shows, comics etc. without the need to feel restricted or limited by the EU getting in the way).

I will still like what I like about the EU material from years that have passed and nothing will really change that, not even this since the EU is still there with all it's content, albeit separated from the main continuity. I can understand the more die-hard EU fans who are getting quite upset about this and feeling that it's a big loss, but that's the way it is. The EU had a long and overall good run but it's time to open up a new book and enter a new era.

11. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I wonder how much hate mail they're getting over this right now. It would be interesting just to see the messages arriving in their inboxes.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    You should check out the YouTube comments of the announcement video; they are getting a lot of hate thrown at them for doing this.

13. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    If this is anything like the aftermath of the infamous Star Wars Galaxies gameplay "upgrade", or the Oculus sale to Facebook, there is probably some truly nasty **** going on, much worse than the general hatemail. As in, death threats, threats against family members, kids etc. It's unfortunate but it happens. In both of the examples I gave above (SWG, Oculus Rift sale) this happened.

14. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    And yet after all that the fandom, as a whole is still here. Maybe it gets dinged and dented sometimes...but it's still here. None of this is the end of the world, no matter what the more vocal among us are saying. it's change. Sometimes chance sucks, sometimes it doesn't...and sometimes it really truely depends on your point of view...but I suspect the fandom will be here long after we're dead and dust.

15. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    The Lit forum is absolutely exploding over this. I can understand the feeling of loss some of the real harcore EU enthusiasts are feeling now however I don't see how any of them could of expected anything any different. I guess many of them were just in pure denial and weren't going to accept it for fact until they actually saw Ep. VII.

It's always been known that 'c' canon was official until higher canon decided to contradict it. Well in my opinion I think a lot of the EU fans should have known what they were getting themselves into when they chose to get so invested in the EU. The chances were slim that a franchise as popular as Star Wars would ever completely decide to stop making movies.

16. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I fully believe that Star Wars is in much better shape now than it ever was before. Yes it sucks for the small amount of people that were invested in the stuff that had to be eliminated in order to pave the way for the new direction it is going. But I think as soon as we start getting the new material...via...books....tv shows.....movies.....even many of the hardcore old eu fans will start enjoying the new stories being told.

yodafan1031, Dra--- and rdhight like this.
  17. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    Whats the big deal,its not like its life changing or anything,your comics,novels wont vanish..its all extremely arbitrary..in the end you decide for yourself what you take with you in this story

18. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I don't think the feelings of disdain for disney by doing something like this is very widespread. We are basically just hearing the complaints of a very vocal few. I work with a guy who is a huge Star Wars fan and has read most of the EU books. I asked him what his feelings were about the books and he said 'most of it was crap and it's all getting wiped out for the new movies.'

I have a feeling that sentiment is what the majority of Star Wars fans who have delved a bit into the EU have.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So a few things Naru conveniently forgot to mention ( ;) ) : while the old EU is no longer technically canon, future books, movies, shows, games, etc. are completely free to pick and choose elements of the old EU to their hearts' content.

The only part of the old EU that'll be overwritten for sure is the post-ROTJ EU. As for the rest- who knows. It's pretty much the same as it was with TCW, with TPTB picking and choosing EU elements to use without necessarily adhering to them 100%

Also, Son of Dathomir will be the first story of the NuEU, followed by A New Dawn, fittingly enough.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Darkslayer like this.
  20. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Even if Disney doesn't officially recognize pre-Ep. I material it will likely be a very very long time before they decide to start making movies that take place before Ep. I. So fans can likely still assume all that stuff happened because it likely will not be overwritten until many of us are probably either not into Star Wars or even alive anymore.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Like I said, who knows? You're assuming a lot by thinking that they won't touch stuff like, say, the TOR era. At this point, a TOR movie is no less likely than a Boba Fett movie, or a Palpatine movie.

But yes, until otherwise overwritten, most of the old EU is intact. The fact that the Story Group is comprised of pre-Disney alum indicates that more steps will be taken to preserve old EU than what happened during TCW's run. It'll basically be a lot like how the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been- a single cohesive universe across all media that tells its own story while including a good amount of shoutouts to preexisting material.

22. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

i am loling so hard just right now.

23. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I think the biggest significance to this - and why this announcement was made now - was that it's Disney's way of telling people not to expect any Thrawn or any Vong in the Abramswars movies.

TtJ is right here in that the fact that the EU is non-canon as a whole doesn't necessarily mean that none of it will become canon going forward. In other words, what I think Disney is saying is that they're free to cherry-pick the EU for ideas they like, and that once that idea does appear in a canon source, it becomes canon. A good example would be Darth Bane. Bane (not the details of him, just the mere fact that he exists at all) is canon now because he was in the Yoda Arc of TCW, even though his origins were in EU. I expect we'll see more along those lines in the future, with the general idea being that if Disney wants to make a something from the EU official canon by putting it into a canon property, they can - but no promises, and don't count on anything.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Someone really needs to get a Der Untergang rant video put up about this. I'm surprised not to have seen it yet.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  25. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    While I'm hardly surprised about the announcement that the post-RotJ EU will be rewritten, I'm still rather disappointed, particularly regarding their refusal to acknowledge that the pre-RotJ EU is safe. Yes, they will inevitably draw ideas from the well of the older "Legends" EU, and so long as they don't write new stories in the near future in the prequel era and earlier, we can probably assume most of those older stories are safe. But cleaning the slate and starting anew means wiping out decades of material including hundreds of books and comics, notwithstanding source books and guide books that are no longer relevant to the new canon system. Yes, I look forward to reading the new novels and comics spawning from the new EU, especially JJM's New Dawn, but the older EU stories that are no longer canon will be missed. Well, at least they still exist, but rebranding them as "Legends" and subsequently trying to derive additional profit from stories that we now no longer know to be canon, instead now being considered glorified professional fanfiction, seems a bit disingenuous on Disney and LFL's part. So, I'll pour a forty on the curb for the era of the old EU, 1977-2014. @};- The new EU has a lot to live up to, but hopefully we will have consistent high quality in all stories told from now on. Who knows, perhaps this will draw in new fans to the new material, like Darth Kickass. Time will tell.

I do feel sorry for the old EU fans though. I am sure many are all but swearing off the new EU material. I now have second thoughts about purchasing the older material if they are no longer considered 'canon'. I still intend to purchase Dark Horse Comics' omnibuses, to support them before their license moves on to Marvel, but the announcement does make me think that they will lose a lot of fans, and a sizeable income revenue from the older fans of the EU who will no longer pay for the new stuff. They better hope that Rebels and the Episode VII hype draws in more than enough new fans to make up for the losses. I am sure it probably will, but I just wish they would do more to acknowledge that all pre-Rebels era material would remain in the continuity, regardless of whether they want to be as flexible with stories as possible. The Star Wars universe was so large and expansive, and yet had a single overarching continuity; no other fictional universe was so large and yet so consistent within itself. The new EU intends to be this way and more though, so hopefully they will do a good job of maintaining internal consistency than the older material, especially TCW. Again, time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.