main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Argh... Good point. Its officially only Moraband now. :/

Still calling it Korriban though, it just sounds better.

2. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I tried to play mine a few weeks ago on my 360(its backward compatible for some games) but it kept freezing. :(
    They should really do an anniversary edition of the game. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But at least we're getting another BioWare Star Wars game in the near future.

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I agree with this, but I think the new EU should definitely venture into the KOTOR era eventually. My guess is at least a couple of the so-called spin-off films will be based in that era, with novels and comics following soon after. I think that, at least until Episode 7 is released, the new EU will stay within the OT era. But I think pre-PT EU has great potential and I look forward to see what they choose to do within that era.

Dra--- and Six like this.
  4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    My guess is that for the next 18 months we'll get OT- and Rebels-centred books and comics. Once Ep7 hits, that era will also be folded in. IMHO the spinoffs will initially hover around the OT or ST, and it's not until that well runs dry that other eras will be explored.

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hmmm... If the marvel model is any clue it depends how Guardians of the Galaxy goes. Though you could be right.

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, if Episode 7 is based 30 years after ROTJ, that’s a huge gap right there. A lot of stuff would have gone down in that time. I would assume that we are going to see a lot of novels, comics and maybe even the odd TV show taking place in that thirty year time frame. However, thinking about it some more, at least for the foreseeable future (like the next ten years or so), I don't think we're going to be seeing any EU sources taking place after Episode 9. They are obviously trying to be very careful not to repeat the same mistakes as before. I hope they stick to their word.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah but which is better will still be debated.

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    People can like what they like, but debating personal preference seems pretty futile.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still going to happen.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Fans enjoy tilting at windmills, I agree.

leiamoody likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So will this thread still be opened?

12. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Wow, lots of hostility in the past couple of 30+ pages...

I'm glad about the end of the canon wars and levels. It's a fresh start and I'm excited about the new timeline. I've read many of the EU and while I certainly enjoyed some stories and characters, most of it was getting out of hand and was bad as ****.

Star Wars EU - Legends of the past future. You will be missed. Not.

13. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I still want to see Thrawn in the ST.

Samayel_ likes this.
  14. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    First post in a long time. So long in fact I can't even remember my old account login. New account it is! Anyways here is my 2 cents -

I followed the EU in phases. I read the classics and a lot of the new era stuff. Some was great and other parts not so great. In saying that I completely understand the reasoning behind this. I am also excited by this. While I know the general flow of post RoTJ history there is a lot. So starting the new line of canon for me is a smart idea.

When episode VII comes out next year there is obviously going to be the 3 crowds - those that grew up with the OT, the PT and those whose first star wars movie may be episode VII. From friends and people online wanting to get in on the EU a lot of complaints I have heard is they just have no idea where to begin. Obviously you can check out the timeline and start chronologically but that's a lot of material to cover - 35 years - to get "up to date" as it were with the GFFA. That's also just taking into account post RoTJ material. You've then got the stuff from pre-prequels and that which links between episodes like Shadows of the Empire. It's daunting to a new fan. There's still so much I haven't read.

By starting a new line of canon with the movies, TCW and what comes out now it serves 2 purposes. It allows Abrams and Co to create the stories that they wish without having to adhere to stories that are already established. That could be good, it could be bad but either way we will get a new adventure where we don't know the outcome. I loved the prequels, but knowing the outcome definitely played a part in how we felt about the events, lessening the tension. With a blank slate anything can happen. We don't know what will happen and I LOVE that. I almost want to avoid trailers and all news so it honestly is a new story.

Secondly it means those fans who might want to start exploring the expansive and amazing GFFA will now have a starting point. There will no longer be that daunting list of 1000+ novels, comics, games and such. Instead new fans to the EU will have a definitive point, a ground zeroes if you will, where they can jump in. Obviously a lot of the material between now and VII will be pre RoTJ. I actually think that whole 30+ years between VI and VII will be off limits until the first of the new sequels is out. It will also be a slow start with only a handful of novels and comics etc to start with, but the point is that's exciting. There is now a whole galaxies worth of tales and adventures to be told.

What is also fantastic, in my mind, is that they aren't denying the existence of the preexisting EU. By putting these stories under the Legends banner it means that these new fans, now involved in the NU-EU/official timeline/whatever term it ends up being coined, can then explore other stories and view them as what ifs or infinites. While these stories may no longer be a part of the official canon they're still excellent stories, some of which might never contradict the new cannon and as such can be incorporated into whatever the fan feels is "their GFFA". I love it.

I know a lot of people are sad that they've "lost" characters that they grew up with. I grew up with stories of Katarn, Mara and Thrawn. I will always love their stories, but I am excited at the prospect of new stories with these characters or versions of them. Can you imagine a Thrawn spin off film? Sweet Freakin hat of K'Kruhk!

EDIT: Just like to add that even though the current word is that no future works will be written for the Legends GFFA that doesn't mean 5 years from now things won't change and allow an author to write something for that timeline. It could end up being like the infinities comics. Just not now.

15. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    The new official timeline is missing content on the 10 yrs between Menace and Clones. As well as the yr between Empire and Jedi.

16. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    We do know that Anakin saved Obi from a bunch of Gundarks though [face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 and El_Machete12 like this.
  17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    It's no longer clear that a year took place between ESB and ROTJ. Maybe it was only 364 days...

Ryus likes this.
  18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Those kinds of things are the ideas and details that are most likely to be plucked from the EU for the movies moving forward.

Ryus likes this.
  19. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Maybe only a week?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    The galatic standard year being 366 day is no longer clear either :p

Maybe we should bombard their twitter accounts with random and pointless questions like these for laughs... like what does making the kessel run in 12 parsecs now mean and just await their reactions [face_laugh]

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    WHAT KIND OF MADNESS IS THIS?! Hell, that bogus explanation for Han's misuse of the term "parsec" has now been obliterated.

We all know what such chaos leads to...

22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Maybe now Obiwan shocked expression is of how poorly he misused the term parsec being a knowledgable former jedi master and all :-B instead of believing he's lying since that's no ship could travel that close to the event horizon of that many black holes. 8-}

23. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

Then why are you all allowing this particular thread to remain open?

It's whole point is to discuss the Sequel Trilogy in relation to the EU. Thankfully Disney put their foot down and threw all that into the fantasy realm so this thread serves no other purpose than to allow people to debate it...

24. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    IMHO, this thread helps to keep discussion of the legends EU and the new EU isolated from the movie threads.

25. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    I hope that the "legends" EU have a propper farewell, I still wanna know what happened between Crucible and Legacy.
    Im crossing the fingers to have an alternate continuity (like Marvel and DC does) that continue the good old EU that we know, parallel to the new EU.

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.