main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Energy fields can be pushed around. All living things create (very very weak) electrical fields - that doesn't mean electrical fields can't be manipulated- or a "field-less zone" created.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There has to be an exception to the rule sometime.

3. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Not true. If something, by it's very definition, creates a certain type of field, you cannot create a "field-less zone" in an area where that thing exists. Ysalamiri and Vong existing outside the Force was nothing more than a lame plot device to ratchet up the difficulty level for our heroes, nothing more. Their existence is a direct contradiction to things that both Obi-Wan and Yoda stated in the movies.

In the most recently released version of E5, Yoda didn't say "My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.... life creates it.... makes it grow.... its energy surrounds us, and binds us.... well, except for a few species which you will encounter in the future which somehow exist completely outside of the Force so just disregard everything Obi-Wan and I have told you about the Force being an energy field created by all living things....."

But the Vong and Ysalamiri are both "legends" now so their impact on the GFFA no longer exists.

bstnsx704 and Granger like this.
  4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    This has more to do with Kathleen Kennedy than Disney. The only factor JJ has is this gives him creative freedom to tell his story with being beholden to 'wilderness years' EU material. JJ's not the facilitator but he does benefit greatly from this. I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be if he were made to acknowledge/reference every single element made in the post-ROTJ EU. GL himself couldn't do that. It would be logistically a continuity mess and confusing for the average moviegoer who has no EU knowledge.
    It's got Teek in it, no worries. You can't undo Teek, he's the glue holding everything together.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There was also the "They create the Force, like other life does - but the Jedi can't sense it" explanation given by Anakin Solo, and later Vergere.

In Darth Plagueis the ysalamiri are portrayed as naturally manipulating the force - creating what seems to others to be a "Forceless zone".

Ryus and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The words might be gospel at that point but decades later? You never know. Who says that Yoda knew that all that there is to know about the Force? He didn't know about Force Ghosts and whatnot before the lead up to ROTS for example. Much to learn you still have.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Ben Skywalker, Anakin Solo et al seemed very "Severus Potter" to me too. It is kind of bittersweet that the new productions can take the story in a bold, fresh new direction. As far as SWL (Star Wars Legends) material is concerned, I'm interested to see just what elements are borrowed, inspired by, or used to storytelling advantage in upcoming films.

8. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The "explanation" is of no consequence, because the actual reason for Ysalamir & Vong Force-immunity is because it was easier to think up a story if they nerf the Jedi.
    Same as Chewie died because he was the most difficult character to write (and they wanted to give the llusion of loss of plot armour). Moon or no moon.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Plus Lucas told them they couldn't kill off Luke.

10. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Absolutely, they may change things we thought we knew. And if it happens in a movie or other story in a well-done fashion, that's no problem. But to do it in a book for no logical reason other than a silly plot device to ratchet up the difficulty level is pretty lame.
    +1 +1 +1. It is nothing more than lazy storytelling in order to create a conflict for our heroes to overcome.

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    They should not have given the Jedi such überpowers in the first place.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Will Disney bother releasing novels that set the official canon for the Clone Wars era now that only the television series is canon? It seems redundant. But, who knows? Rebooting everything post ROTJ makes sense because the general story for the sequel trilogy comes from GL. But, I doubt GL has given much thought to the Old Republic era. What makes novels published now by Disney authoritatively better than those previously published by Bantam or Del Rey? It doesn't make sense to me.

I imagine Disney has plans in the far future to release movies set in all eras of the SW universe including the Old Republic. It is a shame that everything published before Disney bought Lucasfilm will eventually be Legends.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

That was whole point of killing Chewie the first place. They wanted to create a genuine sense of danger. Instead of heaving Han, Luke and Leia just sail through another massive galactic war, they wanted to give in impression that they might actually die and it worked. I was absolutely certain that Wedge was going to die in Enemy Lines.

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Darth Heisenberg

Darth Heisenberg Jedi Knight

Mar 5, 2014
    Should have been more clear, sorry. What I meant was any form of book/movie/comic book that says otherwise.

15. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    If they kill off Chewie in any NuEu my feels will explode.

16. lakhota

lakhota Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    I got a tweet earlier that DelRay books will launch the new EU with 3 new books

Star Wars@starwarsMore on our announcement: taking the first step into a larger world with three new novels from @DelReyStarWars.strw.rs/1iW8br507:21 PM - 25 Apr 14

17. MillionthVoice

Jan 28, 2013
    It kind of defeats the purpose though, killing the most dispensable character. It's kind of obvious. So it doesn't really work. Anyway, it's all good now.

18. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Actually 4 new books.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Rather have Ben Skywalker and Anakin Solo than Albus Severus Potter. Honoring Obi-Wan and the good man Anakin was makes more sense to me than Harry honoring Snape.

It seems like an evolution of what our Force knowledge to me.

20. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Except it wasn't an evolution. It was a radical re-definition which totally contradicted several statements made in the movies from both Obi-Wan and Yoda.

21. MillionthVoice

Jan 28, 2013
    The thing is, a trite out-of-universe explanation trumps whatever in-universe explanation there is. Because the authors are, you know, humans, from Earth. They aren't actually Coruscani historians or something. Not even Luceno. So when they write something tired, its actually tired.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agree to disagree but alien species from another galaxy? Kind of makes sense that they aren't part of the Force or so I thought at the time before we found that they were stripped of the Force. Do we know everything about our galaxy? I don't think so. So Obi-Wan and Yoda not knowing everything about the Force makes sense to me.

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  23. lakhota

Apr 25, 2014
    I think there is plenty of time to explore the force, and add things we havent seen in the past.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    There aren't many Clone Wars stories I feel are really necessary now. We might need to see how Anakin became a Knight again, and the kidnapping of Palpatine, which may not even be that necessary. The one thing I'd really like is a Ventress story, since she doesn't really have an introduction. Anakin already knows who she is when she shows up in TCW.

25. lakhota

Apr 25, 2014
    Will these DelRay EU books proceed the movies? Or open the door to them? I hope they are well written and explore new planets and characters. The PT made the galaxy seem so small with everyone running into one another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.