main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It seems to me that the initial batch of Del Ray books are meant to go along with Rebels. However, I believe that at around this time next year, we will start getting books (and comics) which tell stories that will lead us into E7.

Krueger and lakhota like this.
  2. lakhota

lakhota Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Oh so Rebels the new cartoon will be involved with the new Star Wars continuum? That is good to know, I haven't seen much but a few character models for that show.

3. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Yeah. I had been confusing Rebels with 1313, and assuming it would be a live-action series. Instead it seems like it's going to be a dumbed-down TCW, which is really saying something.

4. lakhota

Apr 25, 2014
    1313 was scraped I thought, looked like a promising game. I would like to explore he underbelly of the cities. Bounty Hunters and trained mercenaries doing shady deals. The Mass Effect game did a great job of exploring different people and planets

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Dash Rendar was totally put in there for the video game.

Iron_lord and KevinM1 like this.
  6. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Does this change mean we can get the Tantive IV back into ROTS?

7. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    A New Dawn: Pre-rebels
    Lords Of The Sith: Post ROTS and Pre Rebels
    Tarkin- Post ROTS
    Heir To The Jedi- ANH and ESB

8. Darth Heisenberg

Darth Heisenberg Jedi Knight

Mar 5, 2014
    That's a good point, I didn't even think about Asajj. Was she first introduced in the Gendy Clone Wars series?

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Anakin already knew her because he dueled with her kicked her ass on Yavin in the Clone Wars Micro Series..

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Nope, Comics first. Then CW.

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    [​IMG]

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I've never cared for the Expanded Universe, and probably still won't, but I'm admittedly intrigued by the massive reboot. I might give this first wave of books a chance. Tarkin and Heir to the Jedi in particular sound kind of interesting.

Even if I do end up liking them and stick with the books, I'm never going to get overly attached. For my whole life the movies have defined Star Wars for me, and I don't see that changing.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yep. Remember, Episode 7 is based (about) 30 years after ROTJ. That is a huge gap. I’m sure that in the run up to Episode 7 and after it we will see a lot of novels and comics that take place in that period.

God, I didn't think of that. :eek: Now I'm genuinely upset.

14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Official Disney canon or not, the two Ewok movies will always hold a special place in my heart.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009

That's exactly the kind of stuff that bakes my noodle.

16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    George Lucas never raped anyone's childhood with EP1 Disney raped it with the destruction of the EU - maybe there is a force worm hole that created two universes after ROTJ & it collapsed 40 yrs later & wiped one of them out .......

17. lakhota

Apr 25, 2014
    I still will never forgive or forget how Georgy crushed my heart in the theater with the Phantom Mistake. I can srill believe in my head the EU happened

18. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    1st Bold: I disagree. I read 2 novels. Couldn't get into them. But was still a fanatic when Ep I came out. Myself nor 90 some percent of the fans needed them. Lucas didn't endorse them at all. So they were ALL rogue works, separate from the story being told.

2nd Bold: I agree. They need to scrap it. Avoid the confusion you mentioned and move forward.

3rd Bold: There was very little continuity. The stories were all over the place. Contradicting the movies or TCW. Post RotJ was a mess. I just think it needed this. It need some cohesiveness with the Movies. And now it looks like we'll have that going forward. I hope lol

Beezer likes this.
  19. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm sure this'll be cohesive for the first few years, and then it'll get as convoluted as the old Legends EU and get rebooted in another 15, 20 years. Rinse and repeat.

jaqen likes this.
  20. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Beezer:
    I'd like for that to be true, but I'm not expecting that to happen. In my opinion, the movie-makers are going to want Episode VII to be completely new territory, and they're going to want to keep the surprises of what has happened with Luke, Leia, Han, and the galaxy for the film itself. I think it's likely that we'll get books that take place during the time of the Rebels TV show and between the OT films until after we see the film in December of 2015. After that, I think the floodgates will open and we'll get many, many books that take place between Episode VI and VII. I'm expecting an animated TV show that takes place between the two films after Episode VII comes out too. We'll be getting totally new stories about Luke, Leia, Han, their children, and the Jedi, I think.

Eternal_Jedi, Ryus, jaqen and 2 others like this.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, sure. They were all rogue works. Except that they were all sanctioned by Lucas Licensing. Which was owned by Lucasflim. Which was owned by George Lucas..

If they really wanted to move forward with building a more coherent continuity, then they should at least have shown some respect to the fans and given the EU a proper, coherent ending and then started rebuilding it. I would have been more OK with that.

I will grant that some of the EU contradicted itself to an extent, but over all it hung together very, precisely because they kept track of all the plot details.

22. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    OMG imagine if they ceased immediate publication of all titles and recalled them from bookstores. People would be FREAKING OUT screaming about Disney erasing history. But that's not what they've done. They're letting the stories live under a new banner to differentiate it from what they're working on now (which is better treatment than the original cuts of the CT have gotten). The movies are the thing. It's folly to think they'd hold themselves to a variety of EU stories to make these sequels and other series. It's also folly to think they'd just charge ahead and make something completely different without first tempering the expectations of long time Star Wars fans. This is their solution. It's sound business. And it was to be expected. Anyone who didn't see this coming was only fooling themselves.

The stories still exist and will exist for the foreseeable future. It's just under a different brand now so new stories can be told that will better align with their future plans.

23. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I highly doubt that second half of that statement. I think he knew exactly what was going on. Why? He's a control freak. He just about had a fit when in 1971 when he found out that Warner Bros cut 5 mins from THX-1138.

25. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    ChancelleorEwok, you seem to be a bit too emotionally invested to look at this objectively...

They were Rouge. Lucas just put the veto on certain things he disagreed with. That doesn't mean he liked or approved of it all, it just means it wasn't bad enough that he stopped it from publishing.

Secondly, the fact that you are even attempting to argue that the storyline is "hung together nicely" is laughable. Unless of course, you mean hung together by a cats cradle where plot holes the size of the Deathstar can make it through, then yeah it's hung together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.