main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I kinda just said that :p

Sorry for the double post.

2. lakhota

lakhota Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    I think a lot of decisions are made at corporate level, not at die hard fan employees. "We need to get the buzz going for the new sequels and J.J. and the script writers want zero boundaries, get rid off all that expanded ****, it's all ireveant WE want more money, and tell Minnie Mouse to get her little ass in here!

Zer0, BigAl6ft6 and Doop like this.
  3. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    *Minnie mouse

[face_rofl] sorry, I had to.

4. lakhota

Apr 25, 2014
    Oh ffs I did wright Mini lol

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    You have a legit point, but I think you underestimate how long it would take to put all those things together. Doing all those things would bring us well into 2015, and perhaps hurt the launch of the new show and the new EU.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I know, I'm agreeing! Yay, agreement! honestly, when something EU popped up in the flicks or TCW and wasn't exactly like the EU thing down to every single detail, I was fine with it. I was more like "Hey, EU thing! Nerd points!" Which is basically what it is going to be moving forward. We'll see EU things, it just won't be the unbreakable canon foundation. Which is a good thing.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  7. lakhota

Apr 25, 2014
    Bottom line is we all want more Star Wars, but I understand the complaints the EU fans have. I personally have read the Lord of the Rings trilogies over 10 times and myself and others had near strokes in minor changes to the movies that P.J. did. I understand the love and bonds you create with fictional characters, crap I almost flipped when Ned Stark was beheaded and that was book one.

8. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Oh, Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I'm glad that you agree with me, because I agree with me.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No. Keep them separate. No time-traveling/reboot thing from the EU to new continuity.

If they had been working on that the last year or two instead of hemming and hawing it'd be fine. If they have to go close to the start of Episode 7 then so be it. Maybe it will take longer than I think but they should at least make the effort. Even if it's just a list of plot points.

10. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Not exactly time travling. Just cherry picking elements and reimagining them in the ST or NuEu.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Personally, the reason I dig crazy ideas like that is A) comic book geek B) it keeps the whole thing as one story inside the narrative. Like right now the narrative of EU ends with "They retired and then a website said it wasn't canon". I'd go with, like, "they retire, then a space duck stepped on a button which wiped out the timeline" or whatever.

On the flipside, if it's called "Legends" it could simply mean that these are the "Legends" that were told about the Star Wars characters. Now we get the real story. Kind of like the Boba Fett pre-Ep. 2 history which was retconned with "Fett has a lot of stories told about him."

Although there really doesn't need to be one, I just dig continuity explanations aside from web site declarations. However:

Agreed that things should be stolen and we ultimately don't need a retcon element to explain *why* it's different. I just kinda like it, personally. But "Ultimate Star Wars" by cribbing and reimagining concepts and characters from the previous EU I think is the best decision moving forward.

12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Eh, that's easy to say when it isn't your money on the line, but I can't say I blame Disney for wanting to start with a new slate as soon as possible instead of bothering to tie up loose ends of stories they are discarding anyway.

Lurknomore likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Let Del Rey do it then. Just say we are letting Del Rey wrap up their story. Sooner they get things wrapped up we the sooner we can all move on with our lives.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    They got a "Legends" label, and while I don't see it happening anytime soon, I do think a new "Legends" wrap-up novel is not entirely impossible. Maybe in movie release "down time". "Sword of the Jedi" is still out there, somewhere!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    They are wrapped up...the franchise is dead.

So, are we all good on moving on now?

The fact that some of you think it was a remotely good idea to even attempt to film episode 7 within the existing EU continuity is an outrageous assault to logic and practicality.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm glad they're not following the EU, but that was a little uncalled for.

Zer0 and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Here's hoping.

Yes I know the DNT/LOTF/FOTJ/Crucible story arc is a complete and utter mess but I want it wrapped up before I can fully move onto the ST. My enjoyment of the ST won't be lessened that much but I can't fully move on until that mess is solved. I'm perfectly willing to say that the NJO is the Big 3 finale, no contest with the Legacy comics as the Saga continuation but I will hold out hope that somehow that the Legacy Book era is wrapped up nicely and leads in to the Legacy comics even though we are still 80+ years out. Optimist to the end.

18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    sword of the jedi has been offically scraped. according to wookieepedia.

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

There are much better ways to get your point across than resorting to personal insults. Cut it out.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    tl;dr if you don't care.

I don't want the EU and ST to be in the same continuity. Keep them separate. Wrap up the Legacy book era in a more dignified manner. Crucible is not the finale. With Han getting horribly injured in a shuttle crash and two separate Sabacc games that is not a proper send-off. The Unifying Force was way better in that regard. The galaxy is in chaos. A planet full of Sith is out there, The Jedi and GA are separate, Luke knows about Krayt when he probably shouldn't among other things. How can they retire now? And who is going to step up and take over? Yeah it supposedly is the finale but that was the least dignified exit I've ever seen.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Honestly, I'd say the best you can hope for is the team at Del Rey detailing their outlines for the final books planned in an interview somewhere.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I will settle for that. That is fine.

23. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

Technically, Legacy 14 is the finale (as of now).

You just didn't get the details of the aftermath of the crucible arc.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Big 3 don't deserve their own mini send-off? They are the ones that we started this journey with back in 1977 and 1991 or whenever we all started. The pieces that set up Legacy aren't set up yet. Yeah everything won't be set up completely until later on, where we can't do yet or ever but please make it as seamless as possible from the Legacy books to the Legacy comics as we can right now.

25. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    So I've (we've) had a couple of days for this announcement to sink in and there are a few obvious things that give hope to the EU:

Ok, we know the odds were slim to none that any EU after ROTJ would be on film. It's just way too confining. Next we find out that not even pre-ROTJ is safe, because Disney and Lucasfilm needs the freedom to use the franchise.

Here's the good news though: who is in charge of making future Star Wars content? Writers and directors, along with this new story group. So isn't it plausible that these new creators may pull from the EU anyway?

For example if they wanted to tap the Old Republic era for it's own trilogy, why not use a popular character like Revan or Malgus? We know they aren't going to go out of their way to please us hardcore fans, but if they have to create a story to make $$$ why not pull some EU aspects?

It's just like the "Han and Leia" deal, just having them married on EP7 is EU. If they have kids it's EU. Maybe you can get lucky and they will have the same names as in the EU.

I look at it this way, the strong will survive. If the EU "content" is that good, it will make it's way back into canon somehow. Just remember, a lot of future Star Wars creators may have had personal experiences with EU. If those experiences were positive, I don't see why they won't use it.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.