main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014

I just hope filmmakers actually do treat the Star Wars universe like this in the future. So far I've sensed a lot of hostility and coldness concerning the extended universe from them.

Marvel is slightly different because even their comics had alternative universes in other comics. But I share your hope.

This would really be the smartest way, financially speaking, to maximize the franchise for years to come. Unfortunately, the way the trilogies are set up don't allow for the same flexibility as comic brands do. There are three trilogies, 9 movies, and they all follow in sequence according to Lucas now.

2. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    Has anyone posted this yet? TOR is canon:

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/04/lucasfilm-confirms-all-future-star-wars.html

3. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I feel like the only reason JJ did that is because he was rebooting Star Trek's original series, and like the OT, that gets the most respect. So rather than just wipe it out, he provided an in-canon explanation for why that timeline still exists. For similar reasons, nobody would ever just ret-con the OT. But the Star Wars EU is much less respected or known about, so they feel comfortable just doing it over.

In Marvel, too, the comics were first so they get a lot of respect and the MCU filmmakers pull a lot from them because of it. I think the Star Wars filmmakers, on the other hand, feel that since Star Wars started in the cinema, everything else should follow the movies, not the other way around.

4. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    [​IMG]
    I'M real!!!!!!!!!!
    looking forward to seeing rotta the hutt get revenge on Leia for choking out his old man.

Artoo-Dion , Mystery Roach and T-R- like this.
  5. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012

See, I read that in a completely opposite way, in that SWTOR has always been part of the old EU. It will be part of the old EU after this canon shift. Meaning it's part of that now-alternate universe, like it has always been.

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Someone needs to be more clear and say SWTOR is or isn't canon. What they just said there is fairly ambiguous. But I can see how OR fans might have some hope now. :)

KevinM1 likes this.
  7. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    Sorry, but Jabba had stinky for lunch long time ago.

Hutts eat their babies. Thats a well known fact in Star Wars.

8. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

But not in anything that's now officially canon :p

BigAl6ft6 and Lurknomore like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've a huge SW collection and have never read anything like that.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jabba did squash his Aunt/Uncle's child at one point.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True. He was thinking "I'll probably be the new clan leader anyway - but why take the chance?"

12. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    I did read it in a novel once. I will search for it and inform you which novel it was.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And what page number?

14. lakhota

lakhota Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hutts eating their young

thejeditraitor, Dra--- and Krueger like this.
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. PPOR.

16. Grazzbek

Grazzbek Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
    I don't get it. why take the pre-Return of the Jedi stuff and discard it? Makes no sense...Starkiller and Revan will always be canon in my head.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    LEGENDS!! [face_laugh]

18. Grazzbek

Grazzbek Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014

Talking to me?

19. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Because Disney doesn't want to have to go through all of this again, and by getting rid of everything, they now have complete creative control over all Star Wars eras.

20. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    No, I just read the official announcement and it makes me glad because I have never liked EU and now that is officially discarded as canon and labeled as "legends" made me laugh a bit.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Super Star Wars and Pod-Racer will always be the real canon to me! Episode VII is DU.

22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    This doesn't mean those characters won't crossover into new stories, only that either what we know about them isn't the real story but a legend surrounding them with future content giving us the true story and/or they're a legend that spurng up in connection to a timeperiod or event or character who is canon (if we take the Legend tag line to its literal meaning anyway, more loosely it could mean some stuff are just legends with no basis but odds are that will be reserved for way more minor characters than Starkiller or Revan). Again, could happen but doesn't mean it will.

So new stories might give Revan a real name or shift his time line to more line up with Lucas's idea of the Sith only being 1-2k years old vs the 5k from the EU... or maybe we'll get a Revan like character who just never quite takes up that name. As to Starkiller maybe he did help form the rebellion but due to his legandary sacrifice to Rebellion created myths about him being so powerful he could pull star destroyers out of orbit.

The way the wording of the EU still being drawn from for future content could mean as much as they will likely pull all the best from the EU but completely give them new stories so we can be surprised as an audience, of course it could be less than that but as long as the fanbase keeps demanding some things cross over odds are the story group will eventually cross those stuff over (though maybe not in the same roles, so maybe Revan and Bane lived at the same time and are now rivals, the name of Banes Apprentice Zannah was a Lucas choosen name so odds are that will survive too as to it being a blonde girl who's sad her pet died so now she must kill jedi, well maybe not).

Anyways think of it like the Marvel comic universes, everything canon in Star Wars is universe 616 but the old EU has just been revealed to be the "ultimate" universe 1610 where most of the othertimeline stuff goes on with Marvel. As an example in universe 616 Jessica Drew is the first of like five Spider-Woman but with almost no connection to Peter Parker Spider-Man (she was Hydra, the Shield, the New Avengers, etc but never really a sidekick more the triple agent who you're never sure what side she's on though you know she wants to be a goodguy, just is trapped by fate to never have it happen) but in Ultimate Universe 1610 she's a clone of Peter Parker who acutally has some of his memories too and is totally his sidekick and as a clone looks completely different than 616 Jessica and more like a female Peter Parker. 616 is a british blonde with dyed black hair and green eyes with a beyond Victoria Secret model figure and has almost totally different powers than Spider-Man but 1610 is an american (well as far a clones turned into adults super fast go) who has brown hair and brown eyes and looks like any old average girl and has every last power of Spider-Man... but both are named Jessica Drew who goes by Spider-Woman. Let's throw Mara Jade into this line of thinking, she may now say not be married to Luke and be more independent of his story, or be reworked to merge with Lyumina's character, or now attached to a new male character (say Erza from Rebels), or just may never be and was just a legend that got attached to Luke. Who knows... but her character or aspects of her may well reappear in future content.

Again this doesn't mean all the stuffwe love will cross over and/or when/where/how we'd like them too... but it means they could and don't write off that they could, except by that you should expect them to write off them having the same story. The flat out said their goal is to keep audiences guessing and surprised in theaters.

thejeditraitor and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I know they left the door open to re-introducing old-EU characters, but I really don't think they will. It will cause too much confusion, and invite too much criticism when the new versions are those characters are inconsistent with the old versions.

So far I am not seeing an old-EU characters being incorporated into any of the new Disney projects. Granted, we don't really know all that much about the upcoming books, but as far as I know - and I am sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken - they are all using either characters from the movies or all-new characters.

Lurknomore likes this.
  24. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    This is Timothy Zahn's take...

as far as I can tell from the announcement, LFL is *not* erasing the EU, but simply making it clear that nothing there is official canon. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, nor does it immediately send everything into alternate-universe status. If nothing from the Thrawn Trilogy, say, is used in future movies (and if there’s nothing in the movies that contradicts it), then we can reasonably continue to assume that those events *did* happen. It looks to me like the “Legends” banner is going to be used mainly to distinguish Story-Group-Approved canon books from those that aren’t officially canon but might still exist...even if something from the Thrawn Trilogy *does* show up in a movie in a different form, we authors are masters of spackle, back-fill, and hand-waving. For example, if Ghent appears in the movies but never mentions Thrawn, I can argue that he simply doesn’t want to talk about that era, or else has completely forgotten about it. (Which for Ghent isn’t really much of a stretch.)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  25. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Well, Episode VII is most likely going to contradict Heir to the Empire within the first ten minutes, so I don't know how Zahn thinks anything from his trilogy can still be considered "canon" unless they're doing a filmed version of his novels. Two seperate but equal universes is ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.