main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Going My Way, 1944. I had my doubts about a movie starring Bing Crosby without Bob Hope; sure, he can croon like nobody's business, but can he act? Yes. Yes, he can. This is a beautiful old movie.

2. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Last Vegas. Pretty good. Feel good type.

3. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    E.T. was on TBS late tonight. Damn movie still makes me cry.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The only Jarmusch flick I've seen is Dead Man with Johnny Depp (at the insistence of a friend). I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but I've yet to get the itch to seek out more. When I do, it'll likely be Ghostdog: The Way of the Samurai.

Stakeout (1987) - A lot of your typical 80s "Buddy Cop" clichés are here, but the titular stakeout premise and the lively performances of, and great chemistry between, Richard Dreyfuss an Emilio Estevez breath life into it. Oh, and there's Madeline Stowe. My God, Madeline Stowe. - Movie: 7/10, Madeline Stowe: 10/10 (But only because I can't give her an 11/10).

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Admission- I went in fearing it'd be a full-on romcom but was curious because of Tina Fey's involvement. Thankfully, it's not really a romcom (a romdrama would be possibly more accurate)- but it is a film that doesn't seem to know what kind of film it wants to be that gets by on the likeability of it's cast (Fey and Rudd are likeable as always, Lilly Tomlin is most entertaining as the super-feminist mother) and a small dose of Wallace Shawn) and Fey's generally grounded performance.

The most effective element of the film is the main story centering around Fey's college admissions officer and Rudd's student's application to her school conflicting with the added revelation that the kid is likely the son she gave up for adoption when she was in college. There's actually a very satisfying payoff to this arc about 15-20 min before the film ends, but it unfortunately does throw a romcom-style twist into things in that last stretch that felt unneeded and out of place to just drag out the secondary relationship subplot drama.

Added to that are occasional moments of more zanier romcom-style humor, as if they were trying to either make it feel more like a typical romcom or wanted something less dramatic to leverage Fey's comedic appeal. Either way, they feel out of place (and one running gag with Michael Sheen gets no resolution) and it's probably no coincidence that the film's advertising focused on much of these throwaway elements.

6. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

On the plus side, there are some great action sequences, and the Spidey suit looks pretty cool in this sequel. (Almost a Nicholas Hammond vibe to the costume, to an extent!)
    But the overall pacing of the film is a little on the slow side.
    Still didn't like the movie's representations of Electro, the Green Goblin and the Rhino, and the changes to the Spider-Man mythos rankled me a fair bit.
    But Andrew Garfield is still damn good as Pete/Spidey, and Emma Stone remains totally adorable as Gwen.

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I'm giving the film a screening on Wed night. So far, what you've said seems like the consensus opinion. My concern is villian over-kill like Raimi's Spidey 3.

8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    X Men: The Last Stand

Wasn't as bad as some people here made it out to be. I enjoyed it just as much as the first 2 even if for an original end to a trilogy it left a lot of questions unanswered. Looking forward to Days of Future Past.

Drac39 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  9. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    dead man might be my favorite jarmusch.

Arawn_Fenn and epic like this.
  10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    yeah, dead man is my favourite. and that neil young soundtrack is all kinds of awesome

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think down by law is my favorite. love dead man and ghost dog though, and i think broken flowers is really underrated. jarmusch is one of my favorite filmmakers. still need to see the new one.

12. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    down by law is probably my second favorite. i actually have only seen about half his movies. i guess i should probably watch the rest at some point. oh, i really liked coffee & cigarettes too.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    coffee and cigarettes was great but a few of the segments fell flat for me, like the cate blanchett one. i could have watched bill murray and the wu tang clan for three hours.

14. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i remember the pop/waits one fondly. so hilarious.

15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Milius.

Great doc about an underrated writer/director

After I check out my never before seen film of the week, I think I'll throw in Apocalypse Now.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  16. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Speed Racer - Probably my ultimate guilty pleasure film. I won't pretend that it's anything but a ridiculous, shallow, completely over the top CG-fest flowing with enough cheese to feed a small city, but I love it regardless.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Mean Girls

Really well done.

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Jodorowsky's Dune

It just makes you sad he never got to make the damn thing.

19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Did you see The Last Starfighter on disc, with the documentary showing the Lucasfilm CGI X-Wing test footage from 1978?
    I always thought of the visual effects in The Last Starfighter as looking that way on purpose to make it look like Alex Rogan entered the video game dimension of sorts, almost like in Tron.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    No, I just watched the movie. I might look for the doco online...

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    It's up on Youtube if you're interested. It's not exactly scintillating, but you'll gain a new appreciation for just how pioneering and groundbreaking the F/X work in that movie really was.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh, I remember all discussion about the number of polygons etc from the Computer & Video Games magazines I used to read at the time.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was surprised how well the CGI in TLS holds up- not all of it, sure, but there are several shots that could still pass for late-90's/early-00's FX.

24. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I watch that trailer once in a while ever since seeing the movie :)
    I haven't gone this knee deep (reading/watching whatever I can find about it) into something since Game of Thrones/ASOIAF.

AJ was so captivating in that doc, in his 80's no less, that I can only imagine what he must have been like back when he was convincing people to join his project.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Raid 2

If you're an action fan, you simply have to see this astonishing movie. It's long, nearly two-and-a-half hours, but it never drags. It has a surprisingly compelling and intriguing gangster-driven plot, but it's the action you come for and, by God, it's breathtaking. This is, bar none, the best hand to hand fighting I've ever seen in a film. Even if you missed the first one, as I did, go see this one immediately. This is action genre filmmaking on a level that's transcendent. Essential. **** stars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.