main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

Yup. Cosigned.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    We won't get anything of the sort. It's utter nonsense put out there only to fill empty space.

Rebel_Padawan and Mar17swgirl like this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Happy Birthday to Jenna Coleman!

Rew and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    And RTD

Juliet316 and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    For without him, we would have nothing to discuss.

Juliet316 and halibut like this.
  7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    So, the show didn't exist before RTD came along? Funny, I seem to remember that it did.

mackpol, V-2 and soitscometothis like this.
  8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And there's been so much discussion of the classic series on this thread.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Don't be so facetious.

mackpol, Juliet316 and halibut like this.
  12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Just want to set the record straight.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Thank you for letting us know that the show didn't begin in 2005

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    There's nothing to set straight. Without RTD and his Rose and his Jackie and his Pete... this thread would not be here. Doctor Who would be a relic of British television.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I know you're not someone who spends much time on the big Who fan-sites, but that argument is always a controversial one. Lots of fans argue that the show was already tracked to come back and RTD fought to the front of the queue to head it up, and that without him it would have come back anyway (though obviously it wouldn't be the show we know today). I tend to stay away from those type of arguments so I don't remember all the facts, but I think it's both true that a) RTD's vision was very successful, more so than anyone could have imagined, and b) you obviously can't know that a new version of Who wouldn't have been launched even if RTD hadn't pitched his version.
    You can say that this particular thread would not exist because obviously it would be different, but you cannot state that "Doctor Who would be a relic of British television" with any certainty, imo.

Chewgumma, Kenneth Morgan and V-2 like this.
  16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I do think that RTD's vision was the only way it would've been recommissioned (although I must accept I can't know for sure), and the only way the BBC would've tolerated it / taken a punt on it.

17. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I disagree with you on this issue.

Chewgumma and V-2 like this.
  18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    :(

Rew likes this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It was becoming the BBC's online flagship in many ways. The ..fourth(?) flash animation Scream of the Shalka (with the other 9th Doctor and future Great Intelligence, Richard E Grant) was being webcast at about the same time it was announced the show would be returning to TV. The BBC execs were interested in exploiting DW, but had no clear vision... Everyone thought the whole thing was tied up in copyright claim development hell, but it turned out it wasn't... The DVD extras on Shalka go into this in a lot more detail.

I think RTD was a logical choice for the execs because he had promoted it in Queer as Folk (a main character was a massive Whovian), and he and Eccy and were riding the high after the success of The Second Coming. I doubt RTD alone could have achieved the success considering the budget and prestige requirements - the execs wanted to avoid the clichéd wobbly sets, ropey looking monsters and cold technobabble of old, so they weren't about to hand the job over to any old idiot.

I think the BBC constantly has to justify its budget and maybe in 2004/5 they had an underspending crisis. If they don't spend enough, they won't get paid enough, if you see what I mean. A big budget high profile show would help diminish the proportion of the budget spent on executives on the balance sheet too....

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I can see that the BBC were interested in bringing it back but had no clue how to. But... I think a particular sort of approach was always required to get it back on Saturday nights. Namely family drama. That was RTD's pitch, and the BBC were grateful. Others may have had a decent crack at it, but the tone would've been different and it may have ended up in a different time slot. More instantly appealing to sci-fi fans but less likely to succeed in the long term. So yeah... I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be where we are now had the reboot been handled differently. Had it not been as broad, had it not been RTD's NuWho. He chucked 'soap' at it. :p At the expense of some fan credibility... but that's what Moffat gave it. Gotta hand it to him really... I've come to believe the idea was to plant it back in the big time and then gradually migrate to someone like Moffat, shifting the focus as they went.

EDIT: DW may have been the BBC's online flagship at the time, but there's a huge gap between that and committing prime time Saturday night real estate to it. I think it's problematic to believe DW was anything other than a real outside bet.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I don't believe that there was just one way of bringing the programme back, and I don't believe that RTD's way was necessarily the best way for everybody. I get that it has been very successful and that you like it, but you can't arm-twist others into saying that they're grateful to RTD. I continue to watch the show because I know it can be great, it can be just the show I want, and occasionally it reaches that potential for me, but largely it falls a little flat week after week (for me). Much of RTD's era I hung on only because of David Tennant and the promise of a Moffat episode once a series. I think a different show-runner could have given us a better show, and I'd like to think that quality will always find an audience.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I ****ing don't.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'd prefer a watchable 4th series first

V-2 likes this.