main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST VOTE: Which OT characters will die in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ichthyocentaur, Apr 28, 2014.

?

Who's getting axed?

1. Luke Skywalker

27 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Leia Organa (Solo?)

16 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Han Solo

82 vote(s)
    69.5%
  4. Lando Calrissian

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. C-3PO

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. R2-D2

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Chewbacca

15 vote(s)
    12.7%
  8. Wedge Antilles

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Boba Fett (and he survived the Sarlacc!)

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. Jar Jar Binks

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Hmmmm, I somehow missed Jar Jar in the OT. [face_thinking]

T-R-, Six and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I went with Luke because it fits the pattern and seems most likely, but threw in a Leia because I think it would be an interesting twist if she went instead, plus her death would likely have a more profound impact on pretty much all of the characters except for whatever non-family members Luke may be training. Han is of course a distinct possibility as well, but he has enough votes already. Honestly I wouldn't be bothered by any of them individually dying in Episode VII, but more than one would be hard for me to take. Spread them out throughout the trilogy like the older generation in the OT.

3. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    I have a feeling Han will die heroically. Maybe on the Falcon with Chewie. It would be weird to have Chewbacca without Han. They'd probably die together. I mean, Harrison was eager that they'd kill off Han in ROTJ. Here, he might get his wish. It would be great if they'd keep Han until Ep. 9- but I can't see Harrison sticking around for 2 more sequels. I can't see Luke dying. No way. Maybe at the end of Episode 9, but not in this movie. As for Lando, I don't know. I'm not sure if he'll be back for Ep. 7.

T-R- likes this.
  4. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    There's NO WAY that both Han AND Luke die in this film. That's just too much.

T-R- likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ford wanted a death scene in 83. Maybe he'll go out saving Luke, you think the Old Master Jedi Mentor is gonna bite it then, bam, Solo for the heroic sacrifice.

"Wesa Free!" Gungan celebrating on Naboo has to be Jar-Jar.

6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    It doesn't have to be, but I like to imagine that it is. I'm guessing Best did the voice for that moment?

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dunno if it was ever reported who the "Wesa Free!" line but, c'mon, who else was Lucas gonna get circa 2004?

Mystery Roach likes this.
  8. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I voted Han. Now the question is...will the Falcon get axed along with him? I'm so torn! I always envisioned Han (and Chewie) pretty much dying inside the Falcon, bringing the ship down with them in one last hurrah. But at the same time, I would love to see the Falcon being flown throughout all three of the new films.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I guess I could see Han dying so that Harrison Ford only needs to do one film, but I really want Luke to die as well. If he's taking on the Jedi mentor role like I suspect he will, then it would make narrative sense for him to be cut down like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were in the first episodes of their respective trilogies.

10. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012

Fair enough, but I never considered that to be Jar Jar.

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's my assumption as well.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014

If you think none will die, just don't vote.

T'would be kind of nonsensical to put a 'none' option in a multiple-answers-allowed poll...

That makes a lot of sense.

Ford is the oldest of the Big Three by nearly a decade and I'm thinking that JJ & pals are iffy on the prospect of his health and mobility lasting through an entire new trilogy. Better to send Han out with a bang.

I'm gonna place my bets on his last words being "Chewie, I've got a good feeling about this", right before the Falcon kamikazes into some sort of important bad guy emplacement.

13. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I choose none. Oh wait, it isn't on the list. [face_plain]

14. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm guessing Han. I think Luke will die in the ST but not until IX. Part of that is just me being selfish (I want Luke to live through the trilogy) and part of it was based on Harrison Ford saying he wanted Han to die in ROTJ. The new rumour about Han having a big role in VII just makes me think that will be the case even more (but that's probably me just reading into it what I already believed)

T-R- likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin was the main character of the PT and lasted until ROTJ.
    Luke was the main character of the OT and hopefully lasts until Episode 9. I don't see how he couldn't.

T-R- and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I know that I've already said most of this before, but I'd sooner have none of the returning Big3 die in the ST. I just think there are other means, short of dying, of bowing out gracefully and handing the reins to the next generation.

Now, if someone were to say that there must be someone, my vote goes to Han, most likely due to Harrison's comments over the years having had the effect of preparing me for the idea. Well, that and I suppose it does seem in-keeping with Han's character arc for the guy to go out in a blaze of glory, sacrificing himself in order to ensure the safety of his loved ones. But that doesn't mean I'm necessarily looking forward to seeing it happen.

As to anyone thinking Luke (specifically as in "let's mirror Episodes IV and I"), I say that, out of all SW characters, Luke Skywalker deserves better than to die in a manner which even casual observers in the SW audience would have seen coming from a mile away. It just sounds so predictable and lame to me.

And personally? To be entirely honest, in no way, shape or form am I ever even interested in seeing Luke die, whether it be in Episode VII or XXVII. Could it be done to great dramatic effect, maybe at the conclusion of the ST? Yes, I'm certain that it could. I'd just rather it not come to that.

Okay, so that's enough of what I don't want to see (besides, anyone can shoot down an idea, right?). But you know what I really would like to see for Luke? At the end of Episode IX, I'd like to see him demonstrate -- to the New Jedi Order I expect him to found -- a new tradition for older Jedi to emulate. As a means of stepping away from greater galactic affairs, while still living out his golden years in service to the Force, I'd write it so Luke wanders off into a self-imposed life of peaceful seclusion and meditation, to contemplate the will of the Force. If you want to make it poetic, maybe consider having Luke's "retirement" take place on the grounds of a certain moisture-farming homestead out in the desert, Luke having long-since made peace with himself and his past.

Yes, I think that would be a nice way to say "so long" to my childhood hero.

agentkrycek and T-R- like this.
  17. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie (didn't vote for Lando because I don't think he'll be in the ST). I think it's the most effective "torch passing" that could happen. I adore each of these characters and losing them will be a heavy blow, but as far as storytelling goes, I think it's for the best. I don't think they should all go in the same film or all at once obviously, but I think if we end the ST with our new heroes having conquered whatever new evil they had to face with the memory of their mentors lingering over them, that's a pretty powerful closing punch.

18. The Revanchist

The Revanchist Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2013
    Han and Jar Jar.

Han is flying the Falcon in search of documents about Leia's family. Their children took a strange disease and he wants to know if Leia's parents had genetical predispositions on something.
    So he finds out that Padme lived on Naboo and, taken by excitment for the discovery, launches the hyperdrive, but fails, and Chewie isn't there to help him (he is at Coruscant to help Leia with the babies).
    The Falcon goes into hyperspace and impacts directly into Naboo's Sea, destroying the Gungan City and killing all its population.
    Jar Jar (sadly) was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    See the posts from Force Smuggler and Trebor Sabreon.

Luke isn't like Jinn and Ben. He is like Anakin. The mirror in place should be to Anakin, not Jinn or Ben. Luke should survive to at least the end of IX, if not beyond (I vote immortal hero a la King Arthur as hinted at in the original version of Luke as a 200 year old hero of old.).

***EDIT***

The guy on the right has some serious $#!+ to do in the ST.

[​IMG]

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off Luke in Episode 7 but am hoping he lives until 9 at least. Immortal Hero would be cool. Give Luke his place as the most important person in SW history. Not Anakin.

Trebor Sabreon and T-R- like this.
  21. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    That Harrison wanted Han to die was mainly due to the reason that he did not know at that point that Lucas made Leia and Luke twins. He wanted to get Han out of the way to give Luke the chance to hit on Leia. I think that Harrison and the others want to capitalize on this trilogy. I have a feeling that none of them will die in VII, maybe in IX but not in VII. I voted JarJar, because there was no "none" option, but honestly don't think we will see him ever again...

22. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Seeing him get lightsabered would be such a delicious slice of fan service, though. I can dream...

23. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I think Wedge will die offscreen, sometime before episode 7 (i just dont see Dennis returning). And the surprise death could be Leia. She will be betrayed by someone [face_devil]

24. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't want to see any of the original heroes die, but if one had to go I could see Han going down with the Falcon in a blaze of glory (like in the movie Prometheus)

Luke should definitely survive until Episode 9. It would be too cliche to kill him in the first movie after Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, and even though he could still return for the sequels as a force ghost it wouldn't be as substantial a role compared to if he was living.

Leia I hope survives the trilogy. It would be nice for at least one of the original characters to have a peaceful end. If she has to die on screen save it for Episode 8 or 9 and let her go out as a hero. The worst thing they could do is "fridge" her early on in Episode 7 just to motivate Luke and Han to get back into action.

Indy 11 and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Han Solo & Chewie

Indy 11 likes this.