main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Support the London tube strike

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Feb 5, 2014.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The union would have some argument if there were actual redundancies, but as you said people will just be moved to a different position.

So long as stations still have visible staff to help people there shouldn't be any need to worry.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So is the strike pretty much over with by now?

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Glorious.

So glad we have a shared heritage of arsehat unionists disrupting progress because they're irrelevant and trying to shore up numbers.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  4. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    No. Two days this week, two days next week. After that, who knows?

Thing is, 3 million people use the tube each day, most of them going to work and back. The economic damage is huge. In the past, the strikers have effectively won every time because employing a few thousand overpaid numpties to do jobs that serve no purpose is cheaper than the billions in lost productivity caused by the strikes.

For some seriously ****** up reason, the totally unskilled job of sitting in front of a red button all day can't just be done by volunteers... something to do with elf n safety. Seems mental given that volunteers used to run an ambulance service back when those guys were allowed to strike.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

GB made in intervention on the Scottish Independence Referendum recently.

He was warning Scots that leaving the Union would put their pensions at risk (oh and used the opportunity of some media attention to have a go at "the old enemy" the Tories in the process)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/b...own-partisanship-and-a-labour-death-sentence/

Of course this is the same Gordon Brown who did this to British pensions;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nal-salary-schemes-suddenly-unaffordable.html

6. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    No no. Dolls' tea parties where he practises that hideous, zero warmth 'smile'. Afterwards he hangs the tea bags out to dry so he can use them again tomorrow.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    My favoirite moment from the 2010 general election;

Gordon Brown.... And Elvis

Closely followed by Bigotgate

I've always believed that behind the scene's Alistair Campbell and Peter Mandelson sabotaged Gordon Brown's election campaign. I mean, I know Brown has a personality disorder and was probably borderline insane, but it's just inconceivable to me that the election machine from 1997 and 2001 could have created the 2010 election shambles and it not be some hideous revenge plot.[face_shame_on_you]

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, sometimes voters just get tired of incumbents. We saw it here in 2007.

Plus, Brown was not actually human and thus people couldn't relate to it. Him. Whatever.

slightly_unhinged and G-FETT like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well that's depressing and stupid.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    this is basically just the union leaders jockeying for position after Crow's death, trying to appear tough.

a glorified pissing contest that'll cost the economy millions. you almost have to laugh at the lunacy.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Good to see that unions are doing what's best for the workers, though. I mean, not only defending them against job cuts that aren't job cuts, but in putting their own power struggle at the core of the union movement.

Where are those impassioned American liberals to tell us how good unions are? :(

12. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    If someone describing themselves as 'liberal' supports unions, they either need a dictionary or a medal for cynical irony.

And next week's strike will be for 3 days.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well that's because you've forced people to take... voluntary... redundancies?

14. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    It's lol because the RMT is trying to prevent those people who want to take the (massively generous) voluntary redundancy package from doing so. They've stalled the processing of their applications and are trying to prevent them going through at all. 650 people have asked for the redundancy package, all now have their plans put on hold by the unions.

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hold on, so does that mean if a worker is offered a voluntary redundancy package and wants to take it, and both he and the company agree to it, the union can intervene and say "nope, you cannot has"?

That's completely mental.

16. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

That's exactly what's happened. 650 people made formal applications for voluntary redundancy. All of their applications were put on hold shortly before the last strikes were called off and are still on hold.

I agree. Mental.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

That's the trades union movement!

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Good grief.

19. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Ok, so it's one thing not being able to get to work, but there's no available route to my gym this time. Things just got Serious [face_plain]

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Bike? Can one ride a bike without dying, in London?

21. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

Here you hit a sore point. My bike needs a new back wheel (4 missing spokes) and a service. It's about 16 miles to the gym (I need heavy **** that most gyms don't have) and I just don't think she's up to a 32 mile round trip. I don't want to spend money on my bike as my new flat doesn't have room for it, so I'll be part ex'ing it for a folding bike.

Next week all will be well... I'll be moving close to the monkey temple and will be able to get an overland train until I get a folding bike sorted out.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    When I was there in '06, traffic was pretty awful. Didn't see a single bike rider.

23. demba_ba

demba_ba Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2014
    RIP Bob Crowe. Legend.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Boris Bike?

25. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    They're handy in central London but I'm way out in the suburbs and there are none out here.

S'ok, I have some kettlebells at home and there's always pistol squats and one arm push ups.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk