main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Casting Rumors 2.0 - Nothing but casting rumors... or else.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mavjade , Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Gigantic does not have to mean the most lines. He could be pivotal in terms of the drive and motivation of the events. Maybe someone has a vandetta against him. Maybe he makes a sacrifice. Maybe is the major leader. There are a lot of ways someone could have a "gigantic" role so thinking that he's trumping someone else's role like Luke or the young leads is jumping the gun a bit.

Dewback likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    In before the disappointment

Until I acutally hear official news, including information concerning the table read apparently scheduled for today, I am not holding my breath.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

What about your depth? :p

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Touche-Nice catch

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I wonder if they'll wheel out Billy-Dee? Apparently he's been constantly calling JJ & telling him how important the Big 4 are.

6. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

Where did you hear that?

7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Cool. Andy Serkis is the only redeeming feature of the Hobbit

8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Was kidding. I didn't think it required a winking face emoticon, but I'll add one now ;)

Lurknomore likes this.
  9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I think he probably will have a larger role than Luke based on the Deadline article if he is being singled out. A long time ago I was told Luke wasn't even going to show up till the end of the movie and the main thrust of the plot would be about the search for Luke, maybe that is still the case. If Han is the biggest part I think it's possible it was a condition of his coming back at all after so many years of saying he wasn't interested in playing Solo again. I do find it interesting that a character that almost wasn't in ROTJ or could have been killed at the end is now front and center that is a pretty big change.

Lurknomore likes this.
  10. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    If Serkis is involved, I'll be surprised - pleasantly so. One thing that worries me about JJ is that he might be forcing the 'retro technology' on the production too much, overcompensating for the green-screenery of the PT. What I'm hoping for is a marriage between the OT's original aesthetics - practical effects, sets, models, but also modern filmmaking techniques. One of the relatively disappointing areas of the PT was the lack of a Chewbacca-type alien character - Jar Jar was the attempt, and although I don't hate JarJar like many do, I think it's safe to call that an area ripe for improvement in the ST.

Serkis has become the Marlon Brando of MoCap. If he's going to bring an alien CGI character to life - with what he's done on Middle-Earth and the Planet of the Apes, I'll have great trust - even if he's not the actual actor, (maybe he's just directing second-unit MoCap specifically?) his involvement would be a good sign.

Satipo and Mystery Roach like this.
  11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I heard Luke's part was beefed up requiring him to film for 6 months.......that doesn't add up to the search for Luke idea from Arndt's script.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    What is this search for Luke idea you speak of?

13. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008

Oh boy, this again. Try the Practical Effects in the Prequels thread.

14. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014
    This makes sense.

If the rumors about Boyega and Isaac are correct, what roles do you think they are playing? The more I look at Isaac, the less I can imagine him as a Solo kid. And I was under the impression that the 3 leads would all be around the same age, but Isaac, Boyega, and Richardson-Sellers together look like a mismatched crew:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boyega I can imagine as Luke's protege, though.

15. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

A plot rumor from StarWars7 that the Solo kids would spend the movie searching for Luke to get his help in breaking Han and Leia out of an Imperial prison.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Summary of rumors:

Arndt's draft supposedly had the young Solo characters search for Uncle Luke, not find him until the end of the movie, when he then dies. Small role.

JJ/Kasdan supposedly rewrote it to focus on Luke/his offspring with the OT3 being the main focus of VII and the younger characters taking over as the trilogy progressed. Luke's role required Mark for entire filming schedule.

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah maybe they could use remote probe droids to find him :rolleyes:

18. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    [​IMG]

Trebor Sabreon, Krueger and T-R- like this.
  19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

looks more like Mark than Harrison. Maybe he plays Luke's kid

[​IMG]

Lurknomore likes this.
  20. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012

Yes, most of us are completely aware of the existence of practical effects in the prequels. This was covered extensively in the DVDs. This is not news.

The aesthetic values of the PT, however, according to many viewers - went too far in the virtual space. With many shots being 90-100% CGI.

For example, in the Attack of the Clones extras, John Knoll is extolling the virtues of replacing a stuntman Jango Fett with a CGI Jango Fett. Maybe those types of decisions made the production's job easier, but, on many occasions, it looked fake, poor, and not up to the standards of Star Wars.

When someone says they want to shy away from that aesthetic, they're not necessarily unaware of the techniques that were used. It's the proportions, emphasis, and net results that we're talking about.

21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly. The balance onscreen often went too far for me.

T-R- likes this.
  22. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008

Which is all fine, I still just don't understand why we were surprised that movies made in the late 90s/early 2000s were made differently and employed different technology than films that were made in the late 70s/early 80s. Why wouldn't a filmmaker employ new technology? My point is that yes, Lucas used more CGI in the PT, but still used far more practical effects, sets, etc. than other films of the same genre at the time. I think we're kidding ourselves if we expect Abrams to revert back to something in between the OT and the PT, since that would mean a middle ground between film-making techniques of ~1980 and ~2000.

23. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Hah well I was told personally it was about them looking for Luke because they needed a Jedi to deal with a crisis, he would still be the only one and the subsequent films would deal with reestablishing the Jedi to deal with the new threat. Nothing about Luke dying. What I heard was supposed to be coming from the Ardnt draft pre rewrite. Maybe now we actually follow Luke and all the characters on their different tracks and they come together at the end or something like that. The idea that Hamill or anyone for that case is actually required for 6 months is still in the rumor category (but so is everything really) so I don't think we can judge the size of their roles based on that.

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    If you honestly think this production is going to be any more "retro" than any current film in production I have some lovely beachfront property here in Phoenix I'd like to sell you. It's a nice selling point to pull the suckers in, but the production is going to use the most cost effective and time efficient means at their disposal. I suspect the CG to model ratio will be virtually identical to the PT, if not more in favor of CG. Go watch Into Darkness... there's quit a bit in the way of CG set extensions and CG "model" work.

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It won't be retro - as you say it will be cutting edge, but there will be more of a blend of practical and in-camera stuff with the extensive cg.

T-R- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.