main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I guess I just have trouble accepting the idea that Obi-Wan was such a blithering idiot that he didn't know the difference between a year and a generation. That explanation, while yes simpler and shorter to write, strains credibility far past the point of being believable to me, so for that reason I'm unable to call it the simplest explanation. The idea that the Jedi served the Republic long before the peace which had lasted for the previous millennium is a much simpler explanation to me. Believe what you want though, and I will too. Hopefully someday this will all be definitively cleared up in the new continuity.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Arguably yes. The lightside outcome of games as well as playable characters, at least until now, have always been considered canon because most of the Star Wars games have been produced by Lucasarts which is or at least was subsidiary of Lucasfilm. Its the minutia of game play and game mechanics that are up for debate because no two people will play the same game in exactly the same way/

3. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Nobody is calling Obi-Wan a blithering idiot. When you use a phrase euphemistically, you are getting the point across without being interpreted literally - and in the real world, no one considers you a blithering idiot because everyone understands what a euphemism is.

If you had a friend who said "man, I haven't eaten in forever!" would you:

A) Consider your friend a blithering idiot since such a thing is not possible for a human being
    B) Be amazed at the fact that your friend has never once eaten a meal in the entire history of the universe, or
    C) Understand that what your friend really meant is that he is hungry and maybe skipped a meal or snack earlier in the day

So a character in a movie speaking euphemistically saying "1,000 generations" when he really means "a long time" strains your credulity? I guess we just have to agree to disagree there.

In the movies, as well as in the real world, people speak in euphemisms all the time. (See what I did there?)

4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't know, man. Over a thousand generations seems like pretty specific phrasing to me. But yeah agree to disagree. I think there might be something else going on now that's more worthy of discussion. Or not. [face_peace]

Darth_Pevra, Dra--- and Darth 1138 like this.
  5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    "Ben, why didn't you tell me that the Republic was only 1000 years old?"
    "On Stewjon, generation means year, so what I told you was true, from a certain point of view."

BigAl6ft6 and KevinM1 like this.
  6. Darth 1138

Darth 1138 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2014
    Glad you said that, otherwise this conversation would have gone on for the next 1500 posts.... whoops.

Point 2:
    SWTOR, KOTOR I-II and Darth Bane trilogy are all linked (Darth Bane less so but still), so maybe by association those two would remain "protected", at least to an extent.

Point 3: I'm also really hoping that the very vague continuity established by Luceno in Darth Plagueis, when he mentioned half-a-dozen past "Rule of Two" Sith Lords. Each of these had maybe a sentence about them, but frankly I could read a whole book. With the potential for varied origins and stories and schemes, each name could be like a chapter in the grand plan that somehow led to Tenebrous to Plagueis to... well you know the rest.

So far, in the EU Luceno's books seemed to be have been treated as the closest movie tie-ins (CoD, EP III trilogy and the closely supervised Darth Plagueis). So there is a chance, especially with Luceno doing Tarkin and possibly beyond, for those to stay in.

7. Grazzbek

Grazzbek Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
    Well, I guess all I can do is sit and hope. I will treat KOTOR I and II as well as TOR canon at the very least until they are contradicted.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  8. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Maybe he's an estranged son? Only they really know but really though I'm sure Domhnall not sitting next to Mark doesn't really mean a thing. Making these sorts of assumptions is like saying "Hey Robert Downey Jr's lawn was mowed yesterday! OMG Marvel reacquired the rights to all their lost properties!" *Has nervous breakdown*

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I know. It was supposed to show that we are a bit too early with jumping to conclusions who plays who. Heck, JJ could upset everyone and let Daisy play Luke's daughter, for instance. :)

10. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    The Marvel Cinematic Universe has an EU that explains things such as how Steve Rogers met Bucky and how the bifrost bridge was repaired in between Thor 1 and The Dark World. Maybe the story group EU will be similar to that?

Jedi Merkurian and Iron_lord like this.
  11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    interesting concept. could happen.

purplerain likes this.
  12. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
  13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Good find.

I was about to laugh at how they ignore answering if the radio dramas are now uncanon but then I realized why ask a book company if the radio dramas count or not... how would they know. Lol.

14. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    Doesn't the ANH novelization claim that Owen is Obi-Wan's brother?

15. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope the Episode 7 novelization is good, I wouldn't mind if Stover wrote it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    that's the ROTJ novel i think.

17. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    i don't read the novels until after i see a particular movie. with HP i didn't read any of the books until all of the movies were out. with ROTS, I think i read it right after i saw ROTS the second time. I don't want to be spoiled like i was with The Winter Soldier and Into Darkness. The only thing that i want to see is the 2 to 3 theaterical trailers and 1 or 2 teaser trailers they do for VII.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I would think that the SWRDs would be canon considering that they were recorded and mixed by Skywalker Sound.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It is - specifically, Obi-Wan says it during his conversation with Luke on Endor.

In ANH he says that Vader used the dark side of the Force "to help the later corrupt Emperors".

20. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014

I wouldn't put too much stock in the permanence of that. They're saying that to keep subscribers hooked. You can bet your bottom credit that if JJ and Kasdan want a shaggy God story in the ST that obliterates the ancient EU, they'll get their wish. The writers forging the future of your multibillion dollar media franchise get priority over a moderately successful MMO's dev team.

kubricklynch and TKT like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured that:

"As far as The Old Republic MMO is concerned, nothing is going to change. TOR has always been a part of the Expanded Universe, and that's not going to change."

meant "That's not going to change - the Expanded Universe has simply been renamed "Legends - and includes TOR".

bstnsx704 and TKT like this.
  22. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Maybe Obi-Wan had simply been lying to Luke so long that even he began to believe the lies. Or maybe Obi-Wan's brain had fried in the Tatooine suns a little too long and he had gone a little dotty. ;)

Yancy

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It's not that difficult really. As noted, the Sith took over but the Republic wasn't completely gone. Seventeen words.

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think Mystery Roach 's explanation is a good one. Why assume the two statements are meant to be referencing the exact same historical allusion? One is about the Republic, the other about the Jedi.

Mystery Roach and purplerain like this.
  25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

If the ST novels were written by James Luceno, RA Salvatore and Mathew Stover, I think we'd all be pretty happy with that.

Zer0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.