main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So Bail and company created the Rebellion in ROTS? Right?

3. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Really? So Owen Lars is Obi Wan's brother?

mes520 and Claire1976 like this.
  4. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    If the novels are still Canon, I don't understand why the lead-in novels (Darth Plagueis, Cloak Of Deception, etc.) are now Legends, as they were written to fit within the movies and don't contradict them at all.

This whole Legends thing is getting more confusing by the day. lol

5. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    It's real easy. What was EU is no longer part of the official continuity and is now called Legends. Anyone concerned with the movie making aspect of this franchise can do projects without even peeking through a Star Wars novel at an airport.

6. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    exactly what about all the novels written during the CW are those thrown out as well? I'm betting someone is going to have to truly define what is and what isn't. Particularly the novels mentioned above and how well they fit in

Jair Crawford likes this.
  7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep.

What part of "Minus contradictions to the films" is unclear?

All original print novels, comics and video games are out. The novelizations of the films are still in. The lead in and lead out novels like "Cloak Of Deception" and "Shadows Of The Empire" are out.

8. Granek

Jan 12, 2012
    Ayn Rand was right....

9. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    That's unfortunate. So far, I've read a few of the lead-in novels to TPM and I thought they fit the story perfectly. I don't see why they would put them in the legends category unless they wanted to revisit that era with new novels, which they're showing no signs of interest in doing.

Not to mention I don't see how they would affect the plot of the ST.

I suppose they might want to cover the era with new spinoffs? I dunno...

10. Darth 1138

Darth 1138 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2014

I think the main point is that there has been no official list yet. The big announcement was made less than a week ago and they are still working the kinks in the plan. We are getting information piecemeal. For example the prequel novelisations are good, refined and well-written fiction. The OT novelisations, on the other hand, are weird, not that bad but at odds not just with the old EU but with some of the movies (from memory), while the aforementioned Darth Plagueis, Cloak etc. are more consistent with films than those.

And it's not been definitively said that all the old EU is dead. Just that some of it is, and stuff is getting rebranded.

So it's a matter of time, and we need to keep waiting.

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  12. Granek

Jan 12, 2012
    its been very ambiguous to say the least, but they should have known:

A - the back lash on their decision about the EU
    B - wait until they actually knew what wasn't canon and what was

when Jennifer Heddle isn't even sure if Bane/ Plagues are Legends or Cannon that's pretty telling

13. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I don't see any ambiguity. Heddle tweeted that Bane and Plagueis the characters are canon because GL created them but the novels about them are legends.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'll say this much, right now, LFL is not going to recognize those stories. If they do at a later point, then they will. For your own pleasure, you can still include all of the lead in and lead out novels. For me, I can sit down and do a marathon of the Saga and do without TCW. Not that I don't like the series, but it would take too long to go through and I'd rather have the shorter run with the 03-05 CW series. 21 chapters dedicated to part of the conflict and then the rest leading into ROTS. Add in the cartoon short from "The Holiday Special" and there you go. Simple and to the point.

Darth Raiden and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    So they're giving us the same tired old silliness: "Everything you read here is canon - except the parts which aren't."

What they wrote in their tweet is incredibly vague. They say "movie novelizations are canon where they align with what is seen on screen." What that tells me is that scenes in the books that don't show up on screen are not canon. So in essence the books don't add a single thing to what is canon.

16. Granek

Jan 12, 2012
    I was going to write something similar; very convoluted

kubricklynch likes this.
  17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't think it's confusing. The only thing in the movie novels which aren't canon are those details that contradict the films. Simple.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Owen being Obi-Wan's brother, Yoda is blue etc.

Jedi Merkurian and Dra--- like this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    They should just re-write the OT novelizations.

ChrisLyne and Dra--- like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Except for the Death Star scenes in ROTJ. Palpatine, Luke and Vader rock in that.

purplerain and Dra--- like this.
  21. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    But that's not what the Del Ray tweet says when they were calrifying the situation. They didn't says "the books are canon except where they contradict the film." The tweet specifically says "movie novelizations are canon where they align with what is seen on screen.

So take, for example, the scene where young Anakin encounters a wounded Tusken Raider. That scene does not contradict anything seen on screen, but it certainly doesn't really align with anything either.

Do ducks exist in the GFFA? Obi-Wan certainly knows what a duck is in the novel..... :D

22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Right. Obvious contradictions.

Exactly. The OT novels must be the worst offenders of canon. I think it's a great idea to rewrite them.

But it won't be too long before we have some new LFL canon sourcebook or online database we can all reference. I might actually buy one of those now...

Mystery Roach likes this.
  23. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014

Wow. That recanonizes a whole slew of material, I guess.

For example, check this quote from Wookieepedia's ROTS novelization page:

I'm inclined to somewhat agree. JJ has broad discretion to ignore the EU wholesale, so anything in the novelizations that doesn't jive with his vision is gonna be tossed. Whether that can still be called 'canon' is iffy. It's residual at best.

24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Align means not to contradict. When two things align, they correspond. When they don't, they contradict. Come on folks, it's not rocket science. Align certainly doesn't mean "if it's not in the film then it's not canon."

TFN agrees:

purplerain likes this.
  25. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Not true. The definition of align is a bit more complicated. According to Mirriam-Webster:

: to arrange things so that they form a line or are in proper position
    : to change (something) so that it agrees with or matches something else
    : to join a group that is supporting or opposing something

So "to align" is a bit more than just "not to contradict." If you say "the sky is blue" and I say "the grass is green" then we're not contradicting each other, but we are certainly not aligned together. Like I said before, while the injured Tusken Raider scene doesn't contradict anything on screen, it also certainly doesn't align with anything.

Exactly. The OT novels must be the worst offenders of canon. I think it's a great idea to rewrite them.[/quote]+1 +1. The original Star Wars novel is so radically different from what we see on screen, that calling it canon is pretty foolish. At least with the prequels, what you get for the most part are scenes in the movie matching what we read in the book, with the books including some extra stuff (that likely got left on the cutting room floor).

They actually did an E4 comic book re-write some time ago.

Ichthyocentaur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.