main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion TCW & Rebels Now Officially Canon, EU Not Canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    If you ask me, they should just go back to what GL has been saying since 1999: Darth Ruin founded the Sith almost 2000 years before TPM. This gives a smooth transition into the movies and TCW.

2. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    The stupidest thing people keep saying is the whole "But your old books are still there. They're not gonna disappear off your shelf." Makes my blood boil every time somebody writes that.

Like that's gonna make us feel any better. Really??? Why even say that? Like any of us thought our books would literally disappear. People who say that are missing the point big time.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I dunno. Some of the old CW books contradicted Karen Miller and Karen Traviss' books for TCW and I enjoyed pretty much all of them. (And a lot of people enjoyed none of them.)

"But anakinfan, which book has the real story of Anakin Skywalker's knighting? Jedi Trial or Wild Space?"

"Neither. Both books have an F on the spine label for Fiction. Dude doesn't really exist. Choose the knighting story you like best."

Not worth boiled blood.

4. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The problem is people blaming Disney for cleaning up George Lucas's mess. Lucas never gave a damn about the EU or what was in it so long as the checks cleared. He imposed no canon discipline on it at all, and what we ended up with was total chaos. Disney *had* to clean it up once it ended up in their hands, and yes, that puts them in the position of the parent who has to finally say "no" to an out-of-control child. It doesn't make them very popular, but that doesn;t change the fact that they're still doing what they have to do.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He might have cared one week and not cared the next week.

Or thought the storyline was great one week and terrible the next week.

Depends on whether his flannel shirts were wrinkled or not, or whether his dinner agreed with him, or whether he had time to trim his beard.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The way they're handling it leaves much to be desired. And they are showing they don't care about the older fans. For me the labels don't matter. If you like a story or character why give the Mouse power to dictate what's valid to you?

Vespasian and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    So what exactly is the point? There are stories I love from the EU and they are not worth any less to me or counted less in the SW saga because of this. That's up to me, not them.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Exactly, Tarkas. =D= I feel bad for the ones that have all ready burned or otherwise destroyed their SW collections. Why? That's playing right into the Mouse's hand. If you love the old stuff love it still. The fan decides not the Mouse. Cannon is merely a label. If people tell you they're invalid you have the choice to ignore it. The power is the fan's.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  9. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    My thoughts exactly.

My favorite Star Wars story outside the films is actually the Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast video game, and my favorite character (after Obi-Wan) is Kyle Katarn. I never really cared if the Valley of the Jedi or the 'Reborn crisis' were not on the same level of canon as Heir to the Empire, or that now it's got the Legends status.

Disney didn't order the mandatory burning of everything EU. It's still out there. If you still enjoy it, then enjoy it for what it is to you.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Precisely. My fave character (yes, even with his flaws) is Gilad Pellaon and I don't care a whit that he's now a 'Legend'. He's awesome. I've likewise gone on the it's up to me (or the individual) what's valid basis. Okay so that means we like different things or see characters differently. That isn't bad.

Yes, I like Tarkin. No, I don't think he's Eeeevil like so many here. Yes, he destroyed Alderaan but that doesn't suddenly make him not Human. I understand many feel justified in hating him. I am not of that cast. It doesn't mean I am blind or condone Alderaan either. It likewise means if Tarkin does not suit who Tarkin is to *me* I will ignore it just as I have with Death Star and TCW. What matters is what the fan thinks not some corporation trying to say it's our universe now. Yes, it is but we still have choices before us.

11. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    This is a Golden New Dawn for the Star Wars franchise. 30 million EU characters are after your favourite film character's job. Only Disney say no to the EU super-continuity and straight bananas.

Two months ago, they wanted the whole Expanded Universe taken down. They reject the whole thing. They'll start again with a blank sheet of paper. They didn't read it. They thought it was drivel, 110,249 Wookieepedia entries of drivel.

Ekhranomicka likes this.
  12. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Why was the "What is Shaak Ti's canonical death?" thread locked?

There's quite clearly two timelines and therefore two canons. Legends and Disney. In Legends, that's up for debate what her death is. Personally, I always liked the one by being stabbed by Grevious in the back. (That would explain her valiant defense of the Chancellor as depicted in Labyrinth of Evil and Microseries) Of course, I do consider The Force Unleashed canon in the Legends timeline and am willing to accept that as either an error in the game or even another Togruti Jedi.

As for the Disney timeline canon, the answer the thread that was locked at was absolutely correct: We only know what Yoda foresaw.

13. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, that is true, they won't disappear off your shelf. Unless you are one of those people who are allegedly burning their collection of books (if anyone has actually done that, they will regret it later).

They are not disappearing. They are still going to be republished but under the 'Legends' title. They are not disappearing. Honestly, if you don't like it, make your own canon. Why should Disney/Lucasfilm dictate what you want to be canon? I've chosen to have all the pre-ROTJ books in my own canon. And quite frankly there is nothing wrong with an alternate universe. Just see it as another path that could have been taken after the OT. It is simple.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    wmu'14 It's an old debate, going back nearly a decade now. We didn't need a thread solely for that purpose. The articles on starwars.com are as clear as they can be- there is only one canon (not cannon, btw to those bad spellers out there =P) now, which as of now only includes the six films and TCW, as well as all future works, Son of Dathomir included. As such, there is no Shaak Ti death right now. Could there be one? Could any of the old ones be reintegrated into canon? Possibly, but as of now they aren't.

15. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Expected this Disney BS.

TCW was only a portion of continuity.

16. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    hlc88 The problem with that approach is that whatever is considered canon by the Mouse is what will be put on display in all future Star Wars products. It's fine and dandy to say that we can consider whatever novels and comics we wish our canon, but the sad reality is those of us who wish to do that will never get anything more. Never get all those lingering plot threads resolved. Never see our favorite EU characters again, except perhaps as some twisted, half-assed replica concocted by the latest bunch of Disney's boys. One might as well consider particularly well-liked pieces of fanfiction canon.

17. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Darth Mouse?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Yeah, I realize it's an old debate and I realize Lucas Licensing is all for one, solid canon and they are saying the new Disney stories are the official, solid canon. I don't see why the thread was locked, when my opinion that there's 2 canons for 2 timelines works too. I thought people could have different opinions and different interpretations on these boards.

Also, starwars.com has never been that good, at least in regards to Legends, EU items. For example, back when they had the old Databank they'd have a decent sized entry on Ghent of all people but nothing on X-Wing/JAT/NJO, for example.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    This thread needs mah baby:

[​IMG]

Blackout and Seerow like this.
  20. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I'd also like to point to the article hyperlinked on Post 1 of this thread: On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels.
    New canon. So that means there's an old canon. Two canons.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    They have explicitly said there is only one official canon now, you'd be better off accepting that than trying to trick yourself otherwise. In this instance Rebels is the first new canon to appear because the films and TCW already came out before this decision.

22. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    What will you do when they want to overwrite this new canon 30 years from now?

I don't see why there can't be 2 timelines, one official and one not. I'm OK with the previous EU timeline being regarded as AU or fanfiction. Best **** fanfiction I've seen.

23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The whole Legends thing seemed like an opportunity that I doubt will be exploited. My question is (and I think the answer is "no") will there be any new EU branded as "Legends." I mean, we've got a Tarkin novel, and a Kanan/Hera novel, etc. that are all on the way that will fit within the new continuity, and all old EU will continue to be sold, though branded with the Legends banner. But will any writers be allowed to write new EU, brand it as legends, and continue with those characters and stories as an AU? I assume not, but that seems like a missed opportunity.

The thing with Star Wars is that - outside of the films - it doesn't really end. There's no like "and they lived happily ever after" ending, where the Republic is restored and ushers in an indefinite era of peace. I would have said that ROTJ was that ending, in regards to the films, but with Episode VII on the way, and the assumption that there is actually going to be a war in these Star Wars movies, then the era of peace lasts a measly 30 years, which is nothing compared to the 1,000 years of peace that had reigned prior to Palpatine's rise to power.

It's a tale of good vs. evil, and this tale is never concluded and was not concluded in the old EU prior to this reboot of EU continuity. I figure there would be a market for stories continued to be written in that old continuity, even if it were just treated as an alternate universe. Not so different than Star Trek, when it made the 2009 film and Into Darkness as taking place in an alternate dimension/timeline to that of the older TV shows and films. That old timeline still exists. Michael Dorn (Worf) has been trying to get a TV show off the ground that continues in that prime universe, and Tim Russ (Tuvok) is apparently making a web movie called Star Trek: Renegades as a pilot for a potential web series, also taking place 10-11 years after Voyager in that prime universe.

Now granted, it's different in that in Star Trek there is an in universe event that creates the alternate timeline, where characters from the prime universe go back in time and alter an event in the past that creates an alternate timeline. While in Star Wars this doesn't happen, but Yoda does say "always in motion is the future" and they could easily continue the old EU as an AU of other events that could have played out in contrast to the "prime" Star Wars universe (the new unified story).

Blackout and QuangoFett like this.
  24. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    ALso Darth Zannah(did the author want to name a sith lord after his daughter or something?) and darth(?) Giffany(urghh that name is horrible) im not that well read on the rest of the legends/EU/non canon/head canon(im a big supporter of the latter to be honest)

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    A lot of the stuff in these old books and other old EU books will be incorperated into the new canon and as people have already said the books are still great and you can still like them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.