main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

Considering how Boyenga and Isaac both have gotten their own threads, I figured it'd make sense to give the only new lady in the cast a thread of her own too. Not to mention the fact that we don't really know much about Miss Ridley yet.

So... thoughts? Do you agree the common consensus that Ridley is playing the daughter of Han and Leia, or do you believe that she's related to someone else or no one at all? What sort of role do you think she'll play in the film?

Personally, I see her either being a Solo or a Skywalker. More than anyone else in the new cast, she's the one that seems most likely to play a Skywalker descendant. She definitely resembles Padme a bit. I doubt she'll be playing Jaina Solo, considering the fact that the EU is now nuked to bits, but I could see her playing a very similar character to Jaina.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    She looks too much like Padme and Leia to think there is no relation. We heard for a long time, since the walk ins at least, that they had a very good idea what some of the roles looked like and now after the casting reveal we get a girl who so closely resembles those two it just seems it can't be a coincidence.

3. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Definitely a lovely newcomer.
    Definitely bears a striking resemblance to both Portman and Fisher.
    Probably a "jaina-esque" character, and definitely could pass for a Solo.

I saw one of the short films she was in from some other post. I think she'll do just fine.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If there's no Skywalker child which I'm beginning to think is the case then I believe she'll be the main character. She's definitely the daughter of Han and Leia and I really like the resemblance to Padme. She looks like her grandma.

5. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013
    I hadn't really thought about it, but yeah, I can definitely see the resemblance to Leia too. I do see more of her grandmother in her though! ;)

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Luke doesn't have any children. If not, I would wager that she's probably the main character. Either her or Boyenga (who is probably playing Luke's apprentice).

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    EHT Should all of the actors receive their own discussion thread?

7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    She's going to be a Leia (ANH)/Padme type in episode 7 but with a twist. She could very well be the only bloodline to the Skywalker clan and the assumption is that Luke will have a crew of newbies to train. However, there could well be friction and in later movies, Daisy will be thrust into the spotlight more than any other female in SW history.

Casting a complete newbie to the seemingly only young female in the most anticipated movie in history is risky business. However, SW is such that parts 2 and 3 in trilogies are not yet written or are subject to massive overhaul. Therefore, JJ may be testing the waters to see (a) how well Daisy can hold up in the BIG time and (b) what the fan reaction to her is and if there is a clamor for another lead female action hero like Hunger Games or Divergent. He saw something in her and probably saw the next female heroine in the new age of, well, female heroines.

The difference is that SW is all her own. She's not linked to anything else so there is something to be said about having a newcomer "born" to the franchise the way Daniel, Emma and Rupert were in HP.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  8. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014

I'll start the Kenny Baker in Episode VII thread.

First topic: will he spin the dome mostly clockwise, or mostly counterclockwise?

9. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    She is pretty enough without makeup, but even HOTTER with some makeup!

Very comparable to Natalie Portman on beauty looks!!!

Darth_Corvus and Bran Kenobi like this.
  10. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I'm very hopeful for her character. I think a lead female action hero in this new trilogy would do wonders for Hollywood. Sure, we've got the rising trend of original female action series, but I think it'd make for a very notable feat for a woman to front the new Star Wars trilogy. Considering how popular female Jedi characters like Mara Jade and Jaina Solo were in the EU, I bet Ridley's character could easily become a stand-out character in the SW-lore.

Cleo Jinn and Gala like this.
  11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    From the little I've seen of her acting, she looks like she might have the chops to be a real breakout surprise.

12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I hope she gets to wear a light suit of armor or some sort of combat gear and doesn't get half naked for some silly reason at any point in the movie.

13. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Agreed. There's not much out there for us to see of her acting, but I did sense a bit of versatility and prowess in what little there was for me to watch. I have a very good feeling about her. Hopefully the script will have written a great character for her and hopefully JJ will be able to bring out an ace performance from her too! :)

14. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    There was an acting reel that was out there of her doing tv shows and such,but Disney had it removed sadly.

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Though not EHT, yes they all should have their own thread now. That is what we said would happen once we got confirmation of the first cast member.

16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Grenades too? [face_praying]

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Looking forward to seeing what she does.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hell, put her in a full suit of power armor and I'd be happy. However, highly doubt she's up for that kind of role... still, would be badass.

[​IMG]

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    =P~

Wait a minute... where are the grenades? o_O (And lightsaber [face_not_talking])

20. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I completely agree. I'd much rather hope she gets fully naked.

21. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Yeah, I saw it before it was taken down. I definitely liked what I saw there. :)

22. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Honestly, I think she's the one I'm most excited about.

23. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I've only seen that short student film and the YouTube clip of her singing "Blue Skies". I thought the student film was too short to judge and that she didn't really have that great a feel for jazz in the music clip. That is far too little to really go on though so I am glad the other acting reel is inspiring some confidence in people!

24. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    The daughter of Han and Leia. She just looks too much like Natalie and Carrie for there to be any other choice IMO. She might be the main character of this new trilogy. I'd say it's a toss up between her and John Boyega. The central trio looks to be those two characters and Domnhall Gleeson as Luke's son. Oscar Isaacs seems more likely to be the Han or Lando type character of the new trilogy.

25. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I liked the song video myself, though I'd agree that it was a bit raw. That being said, the video was apparently four years old or older. While it's probably irrelevant to the new film, we have no idea if she's improved much with her singing since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.