main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    They are... but for kids :p

Mystery Roach likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Really, does it matter about the novelizations? The fact is that books were published by Del Rey and are in continuous print. Everyone knows that a novelization is written before a film is finished and that things change. The latter backed up by films including alternate scenes found on the DVD/Blu-Ray release as a bonus feature. Only the anal retentive fans will give a damn about blue Yoda and ducks.

Pfluegermeister and T-R- like this.
  3. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Based on the casting I can see Han and Leia still having Twins and Luke having a son.

ScorpionJedi and T-R- like this.
  4. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014

Yea I saw that and I'm thinking yes they will not re-tale the EU story going foward and why would they VII is going to be past all that no need for contradictions except Chewe is alive and I'm find with that. I see Daisy Ridley playing Jaina and Domhnall Gleeson playing Ben. I see Adam Driver playing a Sith apprentice of of Max von Sydow who could be playing Pleaguis. Oscar Isaac is rumored to play a Han like character maybe Jag Fel or Omad Keag from Crucible.

5. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014

I did not like TCW depiction of Bane he looked too much like shredder from TMNT's. Bane from EU was kind of like a Cratos look more menacing to me.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Darth 1138

Darth 1138 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2014

One could argue that as a Force Ghost (please do not correct me on Bane's exact nature in that episode) his appearance was somewhat subjective?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Valin Halcyon

Valin Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2014

So since he was in the Clone Wars does that mean his novels will be treated as canon?

8. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Just because the character is canon does not mean the book will be.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

A good starting point would be to look at the Radio Drama scripts. They're based on the shooting scripts for the films, but include a lot of the deleted scenes, so they would correspond well with the films.

10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think the reasoning behind the novelisations remaining canon is that Lucas had substantial input into their writing. While certain details may not fit with the films and TCW, the novelisations overall reflect Lucas' general vision for the SW universe. That's the spirit in which I'd treat them.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well I for one can't wait to get my hands on the new continuity books and comics.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that everything is now wide open again, from huge, galaxy-shattering events down to the smallest details and designs... how that turns out, remains to be seen. I am optimistic, to be honest.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Do you believe with that view if things don't align to what's on screen that they are thus rendered non-canon which would mean, like, the 21B medical droid isn't really called a "21B medical droid" because nobody calls him that?

purplerain likes this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I have the Radio Dramas on CD and have listened to them numerous times. You make a good point. A good novelization should always somewhat expand on the movie in places where the pacing of the film just can't allow, however the ANH Radio Drama goes a bit too far for my taste. Granted, I love listening to it, but there's a whole lot in there that would need to be axed. Still, I'd love to get a lot more of Luke's early scenes in there just like they did with Anakin in the TPM novelization. A few of Leia's as well, but many of those are not quite as necessary from my point of view.

14. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Even before the obliteration of the EU, I accepted the fact that many names of things had to be taken from off-screen sources. I mean, without off-screen sources, we wouldn't even know Mace Windu's name from E1.... in fact, I don't think he is ever called "Mace" in any of the movies - it's always "Master Windu"..... we wouldn't know Boba Fett's name from E5.... or any of the ewoks.... so we have to accept off-screen sources to intelligently converse and I can say "Mas Amedda" instead of "that blue horny guy:...." ;)

Although the cantina crew will always be Hammerhead and Walrusman to me......
    I enjoy the radio drama but I don't consider it canon. For example, Luke wasn't saying "my lightsaber to me.... my lightsaber to me...." when he was in the wampa cave..... :D

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Beezer As far as character names, that's what the closing credits are for. In regards to the Radio Dramas, no I don't think of them as canon either, but some of those extra scenes would round out new novelizations nicely.

16. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    Haven't gotten to the OT novels yet... should I skip those? Based on some of the things that are being said, I didn't realize the novels were quite that off from the movies.

Makes me wonder what the Episode 7 novel will be like. Although I would imagine it to be pretty good since the last novelization is so widely praised. (Can't wait to get to the ROTS book).

I have a (somewhat related) question... need an opinion. I'm reading through some of the EU novels now for the first time. So far I've read

Darth Plagueis
    Cloak Of Deception
    Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

I'm reading The Phantom Menace right now. Loving the books so far.

Should I read Rogue Planet next? Or should I skip it? Is it true it's got really weird Vong-like stuff in it? Cause I don't like that... Or is the story itself good enough to where I should tolerate said Vong-life stuff if it's in there?

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, you do have to jump outside the movies for context if anything, good point on Mace who I don't think is called "Mace Windu" in full until probably The Clone Wars episodes. I was going to mention Wicket not being named but he's called "Wicket" in the credits, same deal with Mace, just for random things like the 21B medical droid you have to take from not in the movies as a real honest to Force thing that exists in the Star Wars universe. However, that does cause the slippery slope wherein, like, okay, kid Anakin saved a Tusken raider, which is not mentioned or referenced in the movies but it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. By extension, you can start dipping into self contained novels like "Shatterpoint" or "Han Solo at Star's End" or "Shadows of the Empire" and so on, nothing directly contradicts their existence. I think you can really only clamp a "NOT HAPPENED" stamp ontop of things that are going to be flat-out steamrolled by the ST, the "Heir to the Empire" and the further you become disconnected from the movie timeline.

18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    There's no way the novelisations will be rewritten. At best, some of the canon material from the current novelisations will be referenced elsewhere.

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Jair Crawford Definitely skip Rogue Planet. My opinion anyway.

purplerain likes this.
  20. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Why wouldn't there be updated novelizations?

21. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    How long have parts of Heir to the Empire been contradicted let alone... *gasp* the ANH novelization? It's just not worth doing.

rdhight likes this.
  22. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Except word of god is that no matter how self-contained, it's non-canon if it's in the wrong book. If the events of those three novels happened within a novelization, they would be canon.

kubricklynch likes this.
  23. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Because unless there's some massive theatrical re-releases, nobody but hardcore fans will pick up new books that retell the stories of films that are upwards of 30 years old.

Immortiss likes this.
  24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not saying I think it will happen, just that I wish it would. Still, they're pretty much perennial sellers, and with renewed interest in SW for the ST, I could see more people wanting to pick them up when looking through the SW section of a bookstore. That would be the only real push for updated novelizations of the OT though... I'm not sure you could really advertise them and sell them on their own strengths in any real large quantities upon their release.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  25. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Are you kidding? They re-released Heir to the Empire and people still bought it. Let me say that again for emphasis: They released a book identical to a book that already existed and suckers - uh I mean people (like me) - still bought it. :D

Granek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.