main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's fine, Rew -- my point was more for everything else, which is still, unobnoxiously clearly non-canon. :p

Rew likes this.
  3. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    so did anyone else see the colbert segment?

i'm going to have to move off the planet probably by the end of the year

Darth_Foo likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I feel sorry for the poor schumck who picks up the "Crucible" hardcover and then sees the "Legends: Crucible" paperback and thinks, "Hey! They put a new version! Neat!"

Revanfan1, aleja2, Zorrixor and 2 others like this.
  5. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I tried to post a link to it but can't figure out how, my insert link icon is shaded.

6. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    Anyone willing to buy and read the Crucible HC, then turn around and buy another edition that still has Denning's name on the cover isn't worthy of your pity.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, you could've stopped here.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gullible and mildly dim Troy Denning fans who are confused by cover title alterations are people too, y'know!

9. DIrishB

DIrishB Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2014
    Glad you find it useful! It's been a labor of love for about 3 years, and I update it usually every week (currently due to the Agents of SHIELD episodes) and at least monthly over summer (with the Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude comics).

Once Captain America - The Winter Soldier DVD comes out I'll be able to break it up by DVD chapters to insert it amongst the AoS episodes it overlaps with, as I did with Thor - TDW (though CA-TWS will be more complicated due to it occurring at the same time as a couple of the recent AoS episodes).

Also, in regards to the MCU comics, there are a number of MCU inspired comics (using the design or even stories set forth by the films) that aren't actually canon, like the recent CA - Homecoming comic. Will Corona Pilgrim, who edits and even writes some of the comics, confirmed what was and what wasn't canon on his Twitter page. I've listed all the official canon comics in the second post on the timeline link.

The2ndQuest and purplerain like this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    But doesn't each new Legends come with a brand new forward by Pablo? That's worth $5 right there!

Darth Koo, _Catherine_ and Mind Riot like this.
  11. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Foreword: "Deal with it" -Pablo Hidalgo, Story Group.

windu4, WMIRTUTSF, Vespasian and 14 others like this.
  12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Hopefully we get an alien main character that can speak English and is female in episode 7.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That wouldn't surprise me at all but what constitutes 'main character' for you?

14. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    As I said before:

Completely the wrong way to look at it. Something will exist in the "new universe" when it is mentioned or used in the new universe. Similarly something is not precluded from existing in the new universe until it is specifically contradicted or shown not to exist.

You're still obsessing over "canon by association". Forget it. It's pointless. Unless something is directly contradicted then there's no reason it couldn't have happened (even though Disney have said "x is not canon with the new universe", which they did purely for the sake of simplicity, not because they wanted everything not to have happened.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Someone that shares the spotlight and is apart of the main group of characters that the film follows.

Darth Koo likes this.
  16. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Or maybe: "HA! Gotcha!" -Pablo Hidalgo, Story Group.

Arawn_Fenn, Grey1 and Guxman like this.
  17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Something struck me this morning.

We've all talked about the possibility of the villain being someone like Thrawn, a surviving Imperial Admiral like the many warlords in the novels. But there's something the novels never really explored: Imperial Generals. That got me thinking...

[​IMG]

What would Rex look like fifty years later? [face_thinking]

I realised earlier that the films have never actually shown us Stormtroopers vs Jedi. The EU? Sure thing!

But in the films, the PT focused on showing clones fighting droids, and we only briefly saw a few flashes of Order 66. The OT? Aside from Luke deflecting a few shots, that was it. It's only been the EU that has actually shown us Jedi vs Stormtroopers as a primarily plot focus, never the OT or PT.

[​IMG]

General Rex of Vader's Fist and the 501st Legion, is that you?

18. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Isn't it just great how the masses "Too little diversity, we need more women and more non-white people" and then follow that with "Teehee Adam Driver is ugly".

One could say that all information on the Legends stuff only refers to the novels (especially the "stay in print/digitally available" line) and *all* comics are still a canon gray zone... [face_whistling]

Oh glorious teens, back when there was a new Bantam book every two or three months!

Actually, it doesn't imply that. It just says that Serkis is a veteran mo-cap actor. I know, I know, it's an educated guess that he was recommended because he's obviously the only guy ever who worked with mo-cap, and not because he's such a nice guy to work with. And my first thought was "CG character", too. But no new information on that, sorry.

Highlighted the Freudian Slip.

19. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I like this idea. But there's a hole. You know he'd be around 130 years old unless the aging process wore off.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That occurred to me after I wrote it, yeah... but then I thought: how much of that was just EU stuff?

I mean, yeah, in AOTC we hear they age them quickly, but... beyond that? Did the films establish that they continue to age at twice the rate for the rest of their lives, or is that a purely EU invention? :confused:

[​IMG]

Either way, the Jedi hunters of Vader's Fist, trained by General Rex, who himself had been trained by Lord Vader himself in the Jedi Arts? [face_mischief]

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, no.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Compare the oldest clones in AOTC to the clones in RoTS. They look about 20 in AoTC and 40-odd in ROTS (because they're played by different actors).

It does seem like a hint that they aged, fast, throughout the Clone War.

23. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    I will say it is a good guess, but I could see Disney have her last name be Organa or Organa-Solo. Not every woman changes her last name especially if they are famous. She could also have taken Skywalker as her last to honor her biological father, but at this point I don't see why. If she was going to change her name to one of her biological parents it would be Padme. Only problem is Padme had two last names, Naberrie or Amidala.

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Nope.

Trip likes this.
  25. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

"Fool you once, shame on me. Fool you twice, shame on you..." -Pablo Hidalgo, Story Group.

Zorrixor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.