main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lando possibly in Episode 7 (or 8) after all?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightOB1, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    It's safe to say Billy Dee is involved for a few reasons. Firstly, he's not going to fly over to London for a table reading when all of his scenes are probably further down the filming schedule and can probably be filmed at Elstree in a day, maybe two, three tops. Point is, going out there now is pointless for him. Secondly, just because he wasn't listed/present at the reading doesn't mean he's not in. Kenny Baker is coming back, and he wasn't there. Thirdly, Billy Dee is going to be at Disney's Star Wars Weekend event, so he's spoken to the appropriate people, they know he wants in, etc. It's just a matter of when they feel like tossing his name out there. I wouldn't be surprised if they do so during the event, since he's going to be there.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    The deflector dish thing wasn't Lando's fault, btw.

This is the look of guilt...an unrepentant "Oh ****!" moment captured for posterity and not open for debate. Nien Nunb has some 'splaining to do.
    [​IMG]

jbyrd1245, rumsmuggler, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Billy Dee Wiiliams himself said he hasn't been contacted yet for VII, and that was a week or two ago...

Is he lying to keep it a surprise? Telling the truth? Was JJ just too busy dealing with the main casting needs to call Billy yet? Will Mark, Carrie, Harrison, Anthony, or Peter request his inclusion since they're friends? Will Disney's Alan Horn ask for it since he just saw the presses reaction to race and gender? As to these I can only speculate, but short answer is he said he wasn't contacted yet but is more than willing.

TheLateAdmiralPiett likes this.
  4. TheLateAdmiralPiett

Oct 1, 2004
    We'll just have to wait and see. There's no way he's not involved, because it's likely this is the final film utilizing the old cast. Chances are he has a smaller part, and it's all about timing.

5. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014

Seems like it would be even more pointless for Peter Mayhew to attend a cast reading, but he was there nonetheless.

6. TheLateAdmiralPiett

Oct 1, 2004
    Precisely. Baker wasn't there at all, Mayhew had no "real" reason to be there. Billy Dee will be at Star Wars Weekend in about two weeks, and I expect that's when he'll reveal his involvement.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hmm... well he's not speaking lines exactly but Chewies facial reactions and mannerisms really sold a lot of the emotions and brought very needed moments of levity. So sitting at the table read makes sense because you'd think JJ would want to tell him how he was thinking he'd best untilize him throughout the script. After all this helps the other actors know when to pause for a moment so they can focus on chewie.

As to Billy if he only has a minor role its perfectly undrstandale why he wasn't there, since the first table read is all about the bigger parts. The more noticable absence was Max Von Sydow.

8. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    He'll be back to steal another Han Solo outfit, don't worry.

BigAl6ft6 and Mystery Roach like this.
  9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Since he wasn't announced yesterday it makes him less likely, but not impossible. For those saying that just bcs he wasn't at the reading it doesn't mean he hasn't been cast, either was Max von Sydow & he was announced.

10. bleed0range

bleed0range Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 29, 2007
    I want Lando back too, but we already have so many people back it seems like it's going to get ridiculous if it just turns into "hey remember this" all the time. I felt at times like the prequels were doing that and I think the leads are most important. We already have Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, R2 and C-3P0... if they keep adding more and more it's going to be overkill and suck time away from the new lead actors/actresses who need time to be developed.

A cameo wouldn't hurt though I guess.

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yes but it is Episode 7 & at the end of Episode 6 Lando was a key part of the team. Here's the last scene in the previous episode:
    [​IMG]

See, FOUR main characters, Chewie & the droids. If he's not in Ep 7 I hope it's acknowledged & there's a good reason, otherwise it will be pretty jarring when watching the movies in order.

12. bleed0range

bleed0range Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 29, 2007
    Well yeah, he was a key part of the team 30 years ago at the end of ROTJ. But he was a good friend of Han's before the events of ESB/ROTJ and Han still hadn't seen him in awhile. Lando doesn't strike me as a person who would stick around closely for 30 years, but as someone who would have lost touch with the main group by this point. Obviously, Luke and Leia are related so they will stick together and Han is with Leia soooo... that makes a lot more sense, they're basically family.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Nevertheless, the episodes are meant as one big story & are supposed to be viewed in order. He's a main character in Ep6. You then watch Ep7 & he's no where to be seen? I don't really mind him not being in it but they do need to mention it & give a quick explanation IMO.

& by the way, he wasn't just some guy hanging around, he was a General in the Alliance. He & Wedge will be war heroes after destroying the Death Star, just like Luke & Han were after the Battle of Yavin.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  14. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I really hope you're right. After the euphoria of Tuesday's announcement wore off, realizing that Billy Dee wasn't part of the announced cast really bummed me out. We've spent a lot of time talking about "Fan Service" on these boards, and I agree that in most cases wedging in fan favorites (no pun inten--, okay, pun intended) is subservient to the story. But this isn't General Madine or Lobot we're talking about here. It's Lando! If there's an exception to that rule, it's him.

Sarge and littlewaves like this.
  15. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Maybe his arc is complete?
    Maybe his son will provide some exposition to fill in the audience?
    Maybe they're holding the announcement back?
    Maybe they just don't care for Lando?
    So many maybes.

16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Lando is not going to a cast meeting if he's only going to cameo - if he's not apart of the story arc then why try and fit him in for fan service a nice cameo should suffice......

17. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well, JJ made a deal with the Reaper. Sernpidal was retconned out and Chewie is alive again but as a tradeoff Lando was left behind in the Netherworld. :D

18. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    As has been said many times, Max Von Sydow didn't attend either yet he was announced.

Lurknomore likes this.
  19. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    No worries, I'm confident Lando will either have a smaller, supporting role, or he'll pop up in episode 8. But I'm convinced we will see him at some point.

20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Maybe Lando's character doesn't have a big part in these sequel movies?

21. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Lando only needs a minor role!! Just a 5 min cameo!

22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I'm leaning towards leaving him out. Don't want this thing to seem like a reunion special.

Ryus likes this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Going by that final ROTJ shot of main characters I am now worried that those important random Ewoks will also not be returning. :(

24. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

If Billy Dee were cast I think his name would've been on the list, just like Von Sydow and Kenny Baker's were even though they weren't present. I think they're waiting to introduce him in Episode VIII, to parallel his original introduction in the second movie of the OT.

I hear VIII is also when they plan to introduce Boyega's love interest, so maybe she is Lando's daughter. :confused:

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I think people are forgetting the guy is 77 years old. If they film Ep8 in 3 years time he'll be 80. Unless he has a role in this film I have a hunch Lando's story is finished.

StoneRiver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.