main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hmm, I can name several EU writers whose work I'd rather partake in over anything written by Abrams. I'll have to sit out this wave of fan euphoria, regardless of announcements about "canon."

Granek likes this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Speak for yourself. Many of us, myself included, fully expected a complete EU reboot.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Then you should go over the Del Ray Star Wars Facebook page. When the announcement came down there were a lot of fans who were and still are absolutely furious.

4. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

You. Expected. Even after Lucas' very public and consistent stance on the EU not being canon. Not to mention his clear track record of only pulling ideas for planets and very minor characters from the EU for use in canon. It is the fault of the EU fans who decided to never let it go.

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    That's their problem; not Lucasfilm's, not Del Rey's, not Disney's - theirs alone. These fans have no business feeling "furious" to any degree whatsoever, to say nothing of "absolutely" so. Anyone who didn't see this coming the instant Peter Mayhew's name was mentioned, if not sooner, was only deluding themselves, hoping against hope, into believing it wasn't going to happen. If they're mad now, it's because their tenuous illusion has crumbled.

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Actually it is LFL's and Disney's problem. The outrage over the EU death was the reason they timed the casting info this way. So it would overshadow the EU news. So they do care what goes on in fandom.

7. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    A partial reboot? Seriously? How?
    I mean seriously, How do you envision them saving some of the EU? Putting up a list on the official website?

What part of in denial is it you refuse to admit?

kubricklynch and Pfluegermeister like this.
  8. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    We've all figured they do something with the EU but how abruptly was a bit drastic...they've known this for a long time, yet released Plagues, Crucible and Kenobi novels fully knowing they'd axe them later on...Disney isn't interested in making 'good movies' they just want to make that ~5 billion and more back.. I'm not saying that I wont watch the films..but I think I will borrow the novels from the library instead of owning like I do now

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    To paraphrase feloni 'The EU is a well of ideas' nothing more... So some of it will clearly get reworked but don't hold your breath it will be all your favorite things. I'm a big EU fan and I do have a wish list but I doubt even 5% of it will get into the movies.

Yes part of me is sad, the other part is cheering over the death of tons of it I hated (looking at you KJA and what TOR did to KotOR:TSL)

10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Has it been confirmed that no new Legends stories will be released? Not even to tie up loose ends?

11. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    In other words, they buried the news that really WASN'T important in the grand scheme of things under the news that actually IS important. The fandom that wants to hold onto these books at the expense of better things isn't WORTH their caring about, and they SHOULDN'T care if their choice is between caring about a smaller group of readers, who want only to hamstring their efforts by making them adhere to obscure books they shouldn't HAVE to adhere to, and caring about a much larger group of filmgoers - in a saga where the primary delivery system has ALWAYS been the visual medium, not the printed medium. I'm sorry, my dear Pevra, but I care a hell of a lot more about a Star Wars film coming into the canon than I ever would about subpar Star Wars books leaving it.

12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I don't think so.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah and there are a lot of people who are openly stating that they refuse to buy any of the new novels and evening say that they will skip the ST entirely. That's also Disney and Lucasfilm's problem because alienating fans means lost revenue.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    And you know how much those lost dollars will amount to in the grand scheme of things? A drop in the bucket. It's peanuts next to what they stand to make from the films. These people need to stop kidding themselves (or, perhaps, flattering themselves) into thinking that they can make a difference in ANY WAY in this matter. THEY CAN'T.

15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That's going to be a tiny minority in the scheme of things, and they'll be gaining a much greater majority that will more than make up for it.

Ryus and purplerain like this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    But how big a demographic are those leaving and how many will follow through?

Best bet is not many will truly quit vs the hardcore star wars fan base and many are just saying that now. Plus star wars has a greater concern, attracting 40+ more years worth of new fans.

17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    In the end, though, it's still the fans' loss, not Disney's. Seriously, how many fans will adamantly hold on to that for the rest of their lives? Furthermore, how many new fans will join in because of the new movies? I think it's safe to say there'll be ****loads of them.

EDIT: Yes, I'm slow :p

Mystery Roach, purplerain and Ryus like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Wasn't the whole point of Kyp Durron, to show that Luke isn't just forgiving of repentant Sith Lords that are family (Vader) - he can forgive repentant Sith Lords that are not family?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Seriously, it's time for a reality check: the people who would threaten to leave the franchise over this issue are the people that Disney/Lucasfilm DON'T WANT HANGING AROUND ANYWAY. They are nothing but impediments now, they have been for years, and they are not at all the people the studio is aiming for in the first place.

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Luke had no right to forgive Kyp on behalf of society though. The guy murdered millions if not billions. He should have stayed in jail until NJO only getting freed since it would be presumed he'd die in defence of others, nothing would have stopped Luke from training him in jail, people are allowed visits from priests in Jail after all and that's how Luke could have shown he forgave him.

21. Valin Halcyon

Valin Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2014
    I really don't get the hate. If it wasn't for the Expanded Universe carrying the torch while the prequel movies were not even out yet Star Wars would have lost something. I'll admit the EU has some turds but it also has some absolutely brilliant stories. Is it so important to be right that you trash someone else's thoughts? I love what the internet has made of people, bullies and anonymous punks that can hurt other peoples feelings without thought and consideration for others. Yes it's an obvious cash grab by Disney. They spent literally billions to acquire Star Wars. They are going to start over so they have something to work with. Imagine if someone paid Michaelangelo to have the rights to repaint the ceiling of the Sistine chapel but its already a completed work of art. They will want a return on their investment so what are they going to do? Repaint a masterful work of art. Sadly ladies and gentlemen Star Wars is a business now and in business things get done without consulting every person that has an emotional interest. Us the fans get kicked in the feels! I love the EU and it will always be there for me but I am also willing to give this a chance as well. It's a fresh start to a galaxy that has so much pain and sadness.

Fastback and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

Blame Mon Mothma - she basically gave Luke that right:

Chapter 21: Champions of the Force:
    Mon Mothma, flanked by her ever-present medical droids, seemed only partially aware of what was going on. None of the other Council members had suggested removing her from office while she was still willing to attend meetings, although Mon Mothma contributed little. Han was stunned by how much the Chief of State had worsened in the last few days.
    One of the functionaries beside the sculpted door arch tapped on a long chime, sending a pure tone into the air to call the attendees to order.
    Han didn't know much about the protocol of government, but he didn't plan to stand by and do nothing while Kyp was trounced by bureaucratic bigwigs. Before one of the members could speak, Han stepped forward, "Hey! Could you let me put in a word for my friend, Kyp Durron?"
    Aging General Jan Dodonna hauled himself to his feet. Ancient and weathered, like a piece of gnarled driftwood, the bearded general still seemed filled with energy. His eyes flashed at Han. "The prisoner may speak for himself, General Solo. He has certainly shown no reluctance to act for himself. Let him answer our questions now."
    Chastised, Han stepped back and looked at the floor, tracing patterns made by cracks in the inset flagstones. Since Dodonna had the lectern, he leaned forward to look down at Kyp. The young man lifted his tousled head and blinked sheepishly at the old tactician.
    "Kyp Durron," Dodonna said, "you stole the Sun Crusher. You attacked and temporarily incapacitated the Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. You blew up the Cauldron Nebula and obliterated two other inhabited systems. I will not debate the tactical significance of your actions—but we cannot tolerate juggernauts who make up their own orders and cause wholesale destruction on a whim!"
    The other Council members agreed. General Rieekan's deep, thick voice reverberated through the chamber. "This Council had already decided that the Sun Crusher would never be used. We disposed of it in a safe and protected place, but youknowingly thwarted our wishes."
    The other members fell quiet after Rieekans words. They seemed eager to add their own condemnations, but realized there would be little point in it.
    After a moment of silence Kyp spoke. His voice sounded impossibly thin and small, reminding Han and everyone there just how young this boy was. “I have no excuse for my actions. I’ll acceot the consequences.”
    “Even if your actions demand the death penalty?” the obese Senator Hrekin Thorm asked. “Such destruction as you have caused can warrant nothing less than execution.”
    “Wait a minute!” Han said. The Council glared at him, but he ignored their silent rebukes. “I know, I know—but listen to me for a minute. Kyp wasn’t himself. He was possessed by the evil spirit of a Sith Lord who has since been defeated. And he did do some good. He destroyed Daala’s fleet. How many lives did he save by doing that? We are at war, after all.”
    Mon Mothma’s voice wheezed from her cracked lips. Her voice came out as a ragged whisper. The rest of the chamber fell into a deep hush as she began to talk. “Kyp Durron,” she said, “you have the blood of millions, perhaps billions, on your hands. This is a governing body here, not a judicial council. We have no right to decide your fate. You—“ She gasped as if using most of her energy just to fill her lungs. “You must be judged by the Jedi Master. We are not qualified to judge your crimes.”
    She raised one of her hands to gesture toward Han. “Take him to Yavin. Let Master Skywalker decide his fate.”

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I blame KJA. Using Mon Mothma like that cheapened her character to secretly supporting mass murder just because it was an enemy military world.

kubricklynch and aleja2 like this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yea, I didn't say otherwise.

If they thought it was below their caring, they wouldn't have timed the casting infos that way. And I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm in no way an EU fan and I don't want the ST to be written around the EU either. But that the EU is totally insignificant is untrue. It obviously does have some limited significance.

After all the EU fans were paying customers, and that's a good thing in Disney's eyes. Makes no sense to alienate them any more than they have to.

Fastback likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's left unclear what her motive for handing the decision over to Luke was - I objected a bit more to Bel Iblis being portrayed as openly approving.

She's pretty clear when she sends Han after Kyp in the first place that he needed to be stopped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.