main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Recanonized EU: A List

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, May 1, 2014.

1. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Now that some of the dust has settled from the Disney announcement, I thought it would be a good time to take stock and see what EU has been brought over and still remains in the official canon.

This will be a list of all the EU that is brought into the official canon through future TV shows, books, comics, games, and movies. This is by no means an exhaustive list. At the moment, it is only a quick overview of the bigger things that have been used (plus, just doing this little bit took longer then I care to tell). But I hope it can become a more complete list overtime.

To start with, I only used The Clone Wars and the novelizations to pull things from, but as more things get released into the official canon, this list can be updated.

For clarity, in this the EU refers to everything pre-2014 now under the Legends banner and is now non-canon, while canon is the new official canon. For the time being, I have left out The Old Republic MMO, as its status is still up in the air. Also, I am working under the assumption that EU references in novelization are canon.

Planets:

• Aargonar: Used in Season 3: Ep. 10, originally from Republic: 59
    • Agamar: Used in Season 5: Ep. 5, originally from The Farlander Papers
    • Ando: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Dark Force Rising
    • Ansion: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Approaching Storm
    • Bestine IV: Used in Season 1: Ep. 10, originally from Star Wars: X-wing
    • Bogden: Used in Attack of the Clones novelization, originally from Droids episode 8
    • Carida: Used in Season 5: Ep. 13, originally from Dark Apprentice
    • Cato Neimoidia: Used in Season 2: Ep. 4, originally from Labyrinth of Evil
    • Commenor: Used in A New Hope novelization
    • Concord Dawn: Used in Season 4: Ep. 17, originally from The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett
    • Coruscant: First used in Season 1, originally from Star Wars: 63
    • Dac: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Death in the Undercity
    • Dathomir: Used in Season 3: Ep. 12, originally from The Courtship of Princess Leia
    • Devaron: Used in Season 1: Ep. 5, originally from Empire Blues: The Devaronian's Tale
    • Dorin: Used in Season 2: Ep. 5, originally from Outcast
    • Falleen: Used in Season 1: Ep. 6, originally from Shadows of the Empire
    • Fornax: Used in A New Hope novelization
    • Galidraan: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from Jango Fett: Open Season
    • Glee Anselm: Used in Attack of the Clones novelization, originally from unknown
    • Haruun Kal: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Shatterpoint
    • Ilum: Used in Season 5: Ep. 6, originally from Jedi Quest: Path to Truth
    • Iridonia: Used in Season 3: Ep. 14, originally from Phantom Menaces
    • Irmenu: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from Republic Commando: True Colors
    • Jabiim: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Republic: 55
    • Kadavo: Used in Season 4: Ep. 12, originally from The Clone Wars: Slaves of the Republic
    • Kiros: Used in Season 4: Ep. 11, originally from The Clone Wars: Slaves of the Republic
    • Korriban/Moraband: Used in Season 6: Ep. 13, originally from Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith
    • Lotho Minor: Used in Season 4: Ep. 21, originally from The Wrath of Darth Maul
    • Malastare: Used in Season 2: Ep. 18, originally from Republic 14
    • Mandalore: Used in Season 2: Ep. 12, originally from Star Wars 68
    • Maridun: Used in Season 1: Ep. 13, originally from Empire: 16
    • Mimban: Used in Season 1: Ep. 5, originally from Splinter of the Mind’s Eye
    • Moonus Mandel: Used in The Phantom Menace novelization, originally from Deep Spoilers, Gamer 4
    • Munnilinst: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Specter of the Past
    • Nal Hutta: Used in Season 3: Ep. 9, originally from Dark Empire
    • Nar Shadda: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Star Wars: 16
    • Norulac: Used in Return of the Jedi novelization
    • Onderon: Used in Season 5: Ep. 2, originally from Tales of the Jedi
    • Ord Cestus: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from The Cestus Deception
    • Ord Mantell: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from The Bounty Hunter of Ord Mantell
    • Pesmenben IV: Used in Return of the Jedi novelization
    • Qiilura: Used in Season 4: Ep. 5, originally from Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    • Rattatak: Used in Season 3: Ep. 12, originally from Clone Wars Chap 6
    • Rodia: Used in Season 1: Ep. 8, originally from Shadows of the Empire
    • Ryloth: Used in Season 1: Ep. 13, originally from unknown
    • Saleucami: Used in Season 2: Ep. 9, originally from Republic 72
    • Serenno: Used in Season 3: Ep. 12, originally from Darth Bane: Rule of Two
    • Shadda-Bi-Boran: Used in Attack of the Clones novelization, originally from Darth Plagueis
    • Sullust: Used in Season 3: Ep. 12, originally from unknown (mentioned in ANP cut scene)
    • Sy Myrth: Used in Attack of the Clones novelization, originally from HoloNet News Vol. 531 45
    • Taanab: Used in Return of the Jedi novelization
    • Teth: Used in Season 1: Ep. 11, originally from The Hutt Gambit
    • Tibrin: Used in Season 1: Ep. 5, originally from Star Wars: Rebellion
    • Tovarskl: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Unknown Solider: The Story of General Grievous
    • Trandosha: Used in Season 3: Ep. 21, originally from The Prize Pelt: The Tale of Bossk
    • Triton: Used in The Empire Strikes Back novelization
    • Tund: Used in The Phantom Menace, originally from Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka
    • Vanqor: Used in Season 1: Ep. 11, originally from Jedi Quest: Moment of Truth
    • Varl: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from Darksaber
    • Zanbar: Used in Season 5: Ep. 14, originally from Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy
    • Zygerria: Used in Season 4: Ep. 11, originally from The Clone Wars: Slaves of the Republic 3
    Characters:

• Aarrpo, Gorga Desilijic: Used in Season 3: Ep. 8, originally from Boba Fett: Bounty on Bar-Kooda
    • Bel Iblis, Garm: Used in The Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Dark Force Rising
    • Boss: Used in Season 3: Ep. 14, originally from Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    • Choi, Tsui: Used in Revenge of the Sith, originally from Jedi Council: Acts of War.
    • Darth Bane: Used in Season 6: Ep. 13, originally from Star Wars Gamer 3
    • Darth Zannah: Indirect mention in The Phantom Menace novelization, first appeared in Jedi vs Sith.
    • Fixer: Used in Season 3: Ep. 14, originally from Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    • Gaib: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from Republic Commando: True Colors
    • Miraj Scintel: Used in Season 3: Ep. 12, originally from The Clone Wars: Slaves of the Republic
    • Narec, Ky: Used in Season 3: ep.12, originally from Jedi: Mace Windu.
    • Ro****: Used in Season 3: Ep. 11, originally from The Clone Wars: Slaves of the Republic
    • Scorch: Used in Season 3: Ep. 14, originally from Star Wars: Republic Commando
    • Secura, Aayla: Used in Attack of the Clones, originally from Republic 19
    • Sev: Used in Season 3: Ep. 14, originally from Star Wars: Republic Commando
    • Skirata, Kom'rk: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from RC: Triple Zero
    • Ventress, Asajj: Used in Star Wars: The Clone Wars (film), originally from Jedi: Mace Windu
    • Vos, Quinlan: Used in Season 3: Ep. 9, originally from Republic 17
    Species:

• Blood Carver: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from Rogue Planet
    • Falleen: Used in Season 5: Ep. 14, originally from Shadows of the Empire
    • Goaasm: Used in Attack of the Clones novelization, originally from The Approaching Storm
    • Kaleesh: Used in Revenge of the Sith novelization, originally from Star Wars: Clone Wars Chapter 20
    • Lorridan: Used in Revenge of the Sith, originally from Han Solo’s Revenge
    • Theelin: Used in Return of the Jedi, originally from Dark Empire
    • Umbaran: Used in Season 2: Ep. 15, originally from Cloak of Deception
    Organizations:

• Black Sun: Used in Season 5: Ep. 14, originally from Shadow of the Empire
    • Death Watch: Used in Season 2: Ep. 12, originally from Jango Fett: Open Seasons
    • Jal Shey: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from Knights of the Old Republic: II
    • Kilian Rangers: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from unknown
    • True Mandalorians: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from Jango Fett: Open Seasons
    Vehicles:

• Action VI transport: Used in Attack of the Clones, originally from Heir to the Empire
    • Outrider: Used in A New Hope, originally from Shadows of the Empire
    Droids:
    • ASP-series droid: Used in A New Hope, originally from Shadows of the Empire
    Events:
    • Battle of Galidraan: Used in The Clone Wars novelization, originally from Jango Fett: Open Seasons
    • Battle of Sarrish: Used in Season 5: Ep. 12, originally from Routine Valor.
    This list is obviously very incomplete. I know there are more characters, events, and species that are now in the canon that I missed. If there are any mistakes or things missing, please let me know.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As long as Bel Iblis is in there I'm happy.

3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Great googly moogly! How long did this take you to compile? Impressive. Most impressive.

4. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks. It took much longer then I care to remember (something like 5+ hours, partly due to cross checking and formatting). I am now sick of looking at Wookieepedia. But, now it's time to go read RotS to see what else is in there.

Desha Dorvan likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Nice work but I still worry it's only the labels not the data behind them and that you're jumping the gun. If this 'canon' issue holds and I hope it doesn't the Mouse will likely release an official data list or something.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  6. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Tsui Choi: Appears in ROTS, originally from Jedi Council: Acts of War.

Gorga Desilijic Aarrpo: Used in 0308, originally from Boba Fett: Bounty on Bar-Kooda.

Ky Narec: Shown in flashback during S03E12, originally mentioned in Jedi: Mace Windu.

Hutt Grand Council: Used in 0308, originally from The Hutt Gambit.

Darth Zannah: Indirectly mentioned in the TPM novel, first appeared in Jedi vs Sith.

Battle of Sarrish: Used in S05E12, originally from Routine Valor.

Basically a whole bunch of the EU have appeared in the films, they can all be found here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_C-canon_elements_in_the_films

EternalHero and Ordo Skirata like this.
  7. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Cato Neimodia and Saleucami appeared in Revenge of the Sith, before TCW, Coruscant appeared in the Phantom Menace before TCW, AotC novelization, and thus Shadda-Bi-Boran predated Darth Plagieus and thus doesn't belong on this list.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought they actually talked about having just got back from Ansion, in the AOTC movie - certainly the novelization mentions it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Tut, tut, Dac is G-canon, as Lucas developed the Mon Calamari as "master chess players" from the water world of Dac.

--Adm. Nick

10. Desha Dorvan

Desha Dorvan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2014
    I think this is a really good idea and a good resource. Let's keep this updating!

Ordo Skirata likes this.
  11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Darth Zannah is also mentioned by Bane in Sacrifice: "I chose to pass my knowledge only onto one!"
    Also, novelizations of the tv show are not the actual tv show. I don't know where they stand, canon-wise... [face_thinking]
    Perhaps the upcoming Maul comic will be canon, given it adapts a script from the show.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sullust is mentioned in the RoTJ movie:

Vader: "What of the Rebel fleet massing at Sullust?"
    Emperor: "It is of no concern. Soon the rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us."

13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Ansion is also mentioned in AOTC itself.
    The ice planet Ando Prime is shown in AOTC, on the left-side monitor at the sports bar.

14. CptSteam

CptSteam Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 14, 2014
    Satine Kryze might be worth adding, considering she is as close to a love interest as a certain character has...

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  16. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Considering that Ventress appears in TCW and so is canon but the show overwrite her EU history which was used in the novelization...it's nice that the names might stay as canon but I really think people are trying to backdoor in a lot of stuff in a way that TPTB don't intend it to be taken.

Just because an epigraph or a novel references an Antarian Ranger or a Jal Shay doesn't make them canon again. I think it falls into the "not on screen" section. At best we might grudgingly get a nod on the names, but any kind of background? I don't think that's going to carry over.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, in the Nightsisters arc, we see something much like her EU history, in flashback. That she was trained by a Jedi, and went dark after that Jedi was murdered.

18. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    My best read of the situation is what they will do. Imagine that the sources the novelizations reference don't exist - what SPECIFICALLY is said in the novelizations is all that is canon. Like when ANH first came out, all we knew about Kessel is that it had spice mines (unless it was in the novelization, lets assume for this example it wasn't). The other material about it wasn't made canon by ANH, it all came later. Just because we know OOU that the background material came first in many of these cases, doesn't change that they don't come into the canon because they are referenced in the novelizations.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I agree with this entirely. To nod to TheJediBrah to whom I disagree with much on this subject -- this is exactly the right time for him to say "you're thinking about this entirely the wrong way."

There is a person named Bel Iblis. There may even be a general named Bel Iblis. But for all you know, it's a female abusive alcoholic aunt of Wilhuff Tarkin.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Bel Iblis reference:

Anakin studied the Senators.
    Fang Zar: face creased with old laugh lines, dressed in robes so simple they might almost be homespun, unruly brush of hair gathered into a tight topknot, and an even more unruly brush of beard that sprayed uncontrolled around his jaw. He had a gentle, almost simplistic way of speaking that could easily lead one to forget that he was one of the sharpest political minds in the Senate. Also, he was such a close friend of Garm Bel Iblis that the powerful Corellian Senator might as well have been present in person.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    God, I love Stover for that.

22. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Hookay. Lot of cart-before-the-horse going on here. People are throwing out a lot of stuff that originated in the movies and was expanded after the fact. Come on, Sullust is mentioned as a throwaway in ROTJ but all the background from WEG or whatever came years later. For all we know, it could turn out to be an ocean moon or a sentient-fungus planet in an upcoming movie. Not that I think they would bother to reinvent it when a perfectly good world already exists, but did that ever stop TCW?

Similarly, Malastare appears in TPM dialogue, but that doesn't make, say, the Republic "Emissaries to Malastare" arc canon. And I'd put money on Ansion being spun off from the line in the AOTC script and not the other way around. More like a pre-emptive run at a "bounty hunters on Ord Mantell" situation.

As for the other stuff, I admire the optimism, but just because TPM indirectly mentions Bane had an apprentice (which of course he would have one), doesn't mean jack re: Darth Zannah. And a blurry CGI model of an Aleen appearing for two seconds in ROTS (which is actually new info to me, so props there) doesn't make Tsui Choi and his comic appearances suddenly canon. For that matter, technically speaking it's not even an Aleen anymore, but a "Ratts Tyerell"-type alien.

For now, I'm going with what TheJediBrah said in the main thread:

kubricklynch, Rew, Havac and 2 others like this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Exactly. There's nothing to indicate that anything would be kept from what the LEU said, and they backtracked on the status of the novelizations. Maybe someone should present an example to Heddle - like Garm Bel Iblis, for instance - and ask if that means the reference is definitively in the NU.

The sensible course would be to use the background material "as is" and use the material like Zahn used the WEG background material for the Thrawn Trilogy, but we know how that worked out for CWAS.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I'd be very cautious about all of this. Name dropping doesn't mean everything else about a thing is canon. And the comment DR made about aligning with what's seen in screen is ambiguous. Folks seem to be reading that a lot more broadly than warranted.

We should be cautious about assuming too much.

(Also re:Coruscant, there was that whole Phantom Menace thing that said the name like five million times before TCW ever came out.)

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Valin_Kenobi -- I disagree with that first assessment though, since LFL have explicitly said everything is non-canon except the things that are. So it's entirely precluded from existing. :p

But the second part, what I referenced above, is absolutely valid here.