main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Generals will be generals and just glad the enemy is dead. However statesmen like Mon Mothma must be above that, but she either wanted Luke to pardon him or wanted to wash her hands of the issue and Luke was the logical beat one to pass the problem too. It was all just too convent and easy for me to accept.

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    According to the ex-EU, from what I recall, the Rebels executed a bunch of Imperial Grand Admirals who, in the grand scheme of things, didn't wipe out entire star systems killing billions of people, yet they let Kyp go. Never liked his character and that was some pretty crappy writing there. Anyway, Kevin J Anderson had a serious superweapon fetish which got tiring real fast.

I dunno, I'd much rather focus on what is ahead for the new EU than endlessly dwell on things that are now officially null and void.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We know that they executed at least one - Teshik.

Personally I think it would be a bad choice to completely abandon the "old EU" - considering that stuff's still coming out for it at the moment - Rebel Heist, various other comics. Odds are that The Imperial Handbook will be "old EU" - and there's plenty of room for more such things in that vein.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Mega-fandoms always seem to need to hate something. The past few days have really taken me back to '99-'02, when EU dismissal was the primary form of fan hate given that the PT was incomplete and not yet fully settled into its geek culture reputation. I suspect in 10 or 15 years similar fan utterances will be repeated when Disney announces a total film reboot. "Goodbye to that Boba Fett Rises Part II trash!!!"

DarthBreezy likes this.
  5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't think they'll do a reboot.
    The entire point of this current EU restart is to have everything revolve around existing movies and open the way for new ones, along with books and comics and whatever else - and to have it all work together as a whole, indefinetly. They may pump out 35 more Star Wars movies in the next 20 years, but no way they'd reboot the classic ones.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think they would only if there's some super revolutionary new format in 20 or 30 years, like 3D holographic immerse whatever, & you can't convert old films. Then plenty of classics will be redone.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The operative word is "limited" significance, and by that we can infer HIGHLY limited. Its significance to the people writing Star Wars now is only as a source of ideas from which they may, or may NOT, pick. That's all. That's all it's been for years, and everyone at LFL has SAID as much. Even the authors know their place; the only ones who don't are the readers.

Disney's bone to the EU fans is that they're still going to keep the old EU in print and not sweep it off the shelves en masse. Frankly, that's concession enough. In any event, it's not Disney/LFL who is alienating the fans now (though they've certainly done so in the past); certain FANS have chosen to alienate THEMSELVES. And they're the ones who'll lose by it; not Disney/LFL.What makes no sense is to cater TO them, not to alienate them. EU fans are NOT a privileged class; if anything, their defiance means they now risk becoming the franchise's underclass and would have no one but themselves to blame.

Of COURSE the EU fans were paying customers. I was an EU fan, and I myself was a paying customer. But the number of paying customers for a bunch of books means nothing next to the amount of paying customers lining up across the globe for the first Star Wars film in ten years, and the first chance to see the OT characters in thirty-two years. Their attitude (an entirely proper attitude) is that they care about the paying customers to come, NOT the paying customers whose loyalty can waver on the basis of an obscure book being canon or not, and who in any case have already done their job. We gave them our money; they're done with us now. There's an entire new generation of filmgoers happy to replace us with THEIR disposable income. But no, they're supposed to care about people who get mad because Vector Prime isn't canon now? If I were them, I wouldn't.

It's not YOU I'm either misunderstanding or fighting, Pevra, not at all; it's this "take my ball and go home" attitude on the part of others, which you yourself don't share.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Reminds me of a saying I've taken to heart: All anger stems from unmet expectations.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  10. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    What's the big deal about a few fans not being pleased that their favorite stories are being put to pasture? Not like subsections of Star Wars fans criticizing and complaining is a new thing.

11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    What was that article from a year or so ago? Star Wars Fans Hate Star Wars.

With my truism above, a couple of question to ask are: what expectation do you have that has gone un-met? How did you come to have that expectation?

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't know about the bolded part. If it were up to me I would have gotten the news out far earlier so that the EU fans don't start having any false hope about the survival of their precious EU. But now they had to wait more than a year for the hammer to drop and may have developed hope which was now mercilessly crushed. Was that a clever strategy on the side of Disney? Or did they generate more resentment than they would've gotten if they had been more upfront about the whole thing? I think the whole thing could've been handled more elegantly and intelligently than it was. To add insult to injury, the announcement was worded in a way that was very confusing to many.

I agree with the rest of what you say, though.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Also, it was in the pasture the entire time. We were just finally officially told it was the pasture.

14. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Personally I don't care one way or another what Disney does with Star Wars. I can understand why hardcore EU fans are disappointed, though, and think they should have just as much right to voice their frustration as any other type of fan.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Sure, people have the right to wail and gnash their teeth all the livelong day. I just think the anger is misplaced.

16. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012

You are wrong, http://statisticbrain.com/star-wars-total-franchise-revenue/ The films made less than 2.5 times as much as the books. People that spend thousands over decades are where the real revenue of star wars comes from.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Hopefully, Disney and LFL figure out how to read & manage their spreadsheets before their poor decision-making costs them everything.

18. cronedoggy

Nov 3, 2012
    It has been confirmed that no new legends stories are planned. The twitter post said something like "but anything is possible". I doubt they'd do much with it. I'd love for them to do the sword of the jedi to connect legacy books to legacy comics and complete the old eu.

Keep in mind, even with the old EU, there were "tales" comics and "infinities" comics. If they ever decide to stop pushing the story forward with films, we might get a few things placed in the old EU over the next few decades.

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    And now we'll get a new Star War book every two months (that's literally the release schedule of the new canon books for adults starting with New Dawn in Sept). Unlike previously where we got one every 4 months at best. We're literally getting about double the number of books a year from now on.

Come on guys Disney is the king of merchandizing. They won't fail to capitalize on the book sales money, sure some might leave due to the old EU dying but they'll gain new readers left and right for everyone that leaves.

Darth_Pevra and Mystery Roach like this.
  20. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Film fans need to stop kidding themselves, as they are nothing compared to the action figure fans!!! The real canon can only be seen in Target's toy section.

Artoo-Dion , BigAl6ft6 and Ryus like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Preach! My financial investment is incalculable.

BigAl6ft6 and Ichthyocentaur like this.
  22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I do confess to just buying a Lamda Shuttle model the other day. :D

23. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    As a fan of the Del Rey EU books from the NJO onward I'm actually glad we got word now, so the various spectrum of fans of the post-RotJ EU have time to mourn whatever loss they have incurred as a result of the death of the old-EU. I eagerly await the new Story Group approved books which will detail the events and the lives of the new and old characters between EP's VI and VII. Whether or not they will "officially" be canon, these will be more canon than the stories which they will replace. While all this is happening, it's funny for me to witness how personal the detractors of the EU have taken their "victory", their passionate (I'd say overly childish) hatred of the EU dwarfs the love of the fans of it by far.

Abadacus, Fastback and Iron_lord like this.
  24. cronedoggy

Nov 3, 2012
    You likely intend this to be sarcastic, but the films have been changed to accommodate toy sales. Han was supposed to die in ROTJ, but lucas said "dead han doesn't sell toys". The ewoks were originally supposed to be wookies.

Ichthyocentaur likes this.
  25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Hey guys! I figured it out! Its all a smokescreen! They're doing an approximation of the Legacy comics!

Driver is Darth Nihl
    von Sydow is Darth Krayt
    Daisy whatshername is Marasiah Fel
    Serkis is Adm. Stazi
    Boyega is Jariah Syn
    Oscar Whatshisname is Draco Antares
    Gleeson is a mashup of Ben & Cade Skywalker

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.