main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Cue The "Super Friends" Theme! - DC "CW-verse" Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarkEagle, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    He created a character that speaks a different language. A language he knows nothing about. The actual rendering should stand, not his lazy and unresearched "intention." That's like if you had a comic about Captain Britain and kept insisting that everyone say he saved "Lie Chester Square" because you can't be bothered to respect how people say Liecester in real life.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, really Wocky?

So can you stop speaking American English and speak proper English then?

3. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't know how you think this works. It's not hypocritical to yield to local pronunciations. It is enormously problematic to override local pronunciation on the basis of a factually insupportable view of how said language works.

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm actually disappointed in this episode. Don't get me wrong, there were some great character beats and individual moments. But for the first time on Arrow, this felt incomplete and not a packaged episode on its own. The first half of the episode was setting up for the two big reveals of characters, and then the second half was getting pieces into place for the next episode, with all of them left at cliffhanger moments. It felt under-done, especially given the previous episode where you were left feeling like you had just watched two or more episodes to get all that action and revelations.

5. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    It's true, but we should be richly rewarded next week. I'm just not excited to be waiting a few months to see more Arrow after the finale. :/

6. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    With free comic book day coming very soon,I have a question for you guys. For those that have read the green arrow comics which ones would you suggest?

I guess it might help if I tell you some likes and dislikes.

I have read Green arrow and Black Canary's weeding and I loved it! I loved everything about it!

One thing I love about this show arrow is the character development, the flashbacks to the island has to be one of my top favorite things about the show.

When comes to GA it's about his origin story for me. He didn't get superpowers, he didn't fly around the world learning the best combat skills. He just learned to survive. His character and story seem the most down to earth to me. Sure he's rich, but that feels like it's in the background. Heck even in the show we all enjoy he can't deal with his company and be the arrow or can he...

Green arrow in other media. such as DC showcase video in the tags.
    I really liked this version of GA, he's funny, has goofy lines, his look was cool or maybe that was the art style.
    Other then arrow and the DC showcase I haven't liked him in any other thing.
    I think the hood looks a lot cooler then the hat.

I've seen him in justice league unlimited. I really didn't like his character design in it, his character felt really downplayed, but when you're next to superman who wouldn't feel downplayed?

Which brings me to Smallville: Now I know this is before arrow, and I'm not trying to compare the two since he is for the most a guest character on that show.

I saw in some interview on green arrow in Smallville that he is "a fully realized hero." If this is him as a a fully realized hero I'll take arrow anytime over this!
    I thought him wearing sunglasses looked awful, yes they're tech glasses, but the mask in arrow looks good. Hell even the spray paint in arrow looked better then shades.

Also no goatee, thats like his look right? How could you not have that?

Some spoilers from a Smallvile episode with green arrow.
    He takes this drug that lets him take a bullet in the chest, this same drag has a side effect of making some rage or anger issues. He has always always been rivals with Lex since high school. He took the drug because " he wanted to be like Superman.[face_sick]"

I hear the new 52 based is off of the Smallvile green arrow.[face_sick] On the flip side they're making him more like arrow version as the new 52 keeps going.So thats a good thing.

I guess at the end of it all the DC showcase sums him up best for me.

A green arrow that is clever, funny, has the green arrow look; Hood,goatee mask.

Sorry for long post thanks in advance.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And yet again, we have your ridiculous incompetent national attempt at speaking English - pronunciation aside (though that's not simply an accent issue, it's just abject stupidity. See also, "Pittsburgh" v "Edinburgh").

I agree it's not self-contained, but I felt and saw no problems with it. In fact, aside from the fact it made her head resemble a lightbulb, I loved seeing Summer Glau as pseudo-Ravager.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Liked this last episode - not quite as strong as the previous few, but that was to be expected. Got to lay the groundwork for the finale.

Good to see Walter back, hope he plays a large role going forward with Moira gone. Excited to see how next week's returning characters jump in to help Team Arrow.

9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Pittsburgh is an American city intended to be named by the customs of American English, so our pronunciation must respect that. Ras is an Arab man named by other Arabs according to the linguistic rules of Arabic. Our pronunciation has to respect that, not the wishes of some lazy idiot that thinks an alternative "sounds cool."

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hi. Welcome back to the Arrow thread.

Next week, this is what it will be about:

Sounds like somebody's giving Thea a sales pitch.

11. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Saw the episode preview on the Arrow Facebook page...Oh my goodness, big stuff! Big stuff!

12. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    It seems like Ollie telling Blood that he's the Arrow is marking Blood for death basically. That's what I got out of it. "I'll tell you because you're not going to live long enough to do anything about it."

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Absolutely agree. Don't expect Blood to last the season.

14. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Another mayor? Ho hum, can we get something new here in Starling?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I feel like anyone defending American English cannot throw the word idiot at others. It's a dumber, lazier, and more inherently lowbrow take on English which, in that context, appropriately services those who speak it.

Good preview, heels1785. It appears we will see Merlin and Green Arrow team up, as has been speculated. I doubt they'll resolve the issue of Ravager appearing to resemble a lightbulb with that mask, which is a shame. And I guess we won't see Flash debut in this show as Flash (as opposed to Barry), which I'd have liked to have seen.

I'm not sure if anyone else was the same in that they thought Arrow would be naff and didn't bother watching it at first, until they thought "oh well, I'll give it a shot"?

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Indeed, I was in the same boat. Didn't watch the first season until it was released to Netflix and I wandered into it on a rainy weekend. Now it's my favorite show.

My fear is that, given the unique ability that this team has shown in stretching limited resources at CW, other shows and studios that can pay more may start picking off the talent in upcoming seasons.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's made me want to go back and read some Green Arrow trades (I've got Kevin Smith's one somewhere...) and desperately want to see a Batman show.

If anyone mentions Gotham, I'll make them listen to Wocky's thoughts on Christmas music accompanied by a montage of Juliet songs. Gotham is not a show about Batman, it's one about the Batman universe.

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I honestly don't know why the powers that be think that GOTHAM - as currently conceived - is a good idea. The audience they're looking for don't want a Smallvile concept barely centered around Bruce Wayne and focused more on a youngish James Gordon and just as youngish Batman Rogues. Instead of Years -19 to 1, what they should've done was a, say, Year Zero show: You could have a younger James Gordon being the only good cop in an utterly bent town and also have a younger Bruce Wayne trying to find his way around the same town, crossing paths with Gordon while trying to find his "method". That's it. How hard could it be to take something like that on a budget to network or syndicated tv?

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why even that though? How could a 30-something Batman, not work? You have the Bat-family - Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl or Oracle - and the rogues gallery. Base that on the look from the modern comics - i.e. Snyder/Capullo's run - and that kind of gritty look and it would be huge.

Penguinator likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Would not be surprised, if the ratings stall out like they have for SHIELD, to see the show possibly take a big leap forward in the timeline after Season 1. Could frame the first season as an introduction to the city, or something.

Just a thought. I agree, seems like a massive opportunity to pass up.

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm honestly just surprised there's such a refusal to cross the streams with TV and film properties. People like high-concept TV, and people like superhero movies. Get on both while they're hot, WB.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't even know they need to worry about cross over, though an argument from the more risk-averse side of their business might suggest a TV show which focuses on a comic-influenced Batman vs a Batman in the films who isn't the same would confuse people could get traction.

That is, nobody watching Superman Returns got confused about Smallville continuity, though Smallville was far more niche than Arrow is in terms of audience size.

Still, there are some characters who would work best on TV - Green Arrow, Daredevil, Punisher, and Nightwing are examples that spring to mind.

Hell. Why don't we just have a Nightwing show?

Penguinator likes this.
  23. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    You could begin the show on the day Dick quits being Robin to go his own way as Nightwing. Introduce Jason a few episodes later as the new Robin. Then in the season finale have the Joker kill him off. Hell if they really wanted to get Game of Thrones level shock they could combine The Killing Joke and A Death in the Family and kill Jason and cripple Barbara in the same episode.

Does seem like a show like that would have endless possibilities.

24. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I'd really be down for a Daredevil show. Speaking of, I met, and worked with, Jennifer Garner in an episode of Alias. :p

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Doing what exactly?