main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The more I hear the new title for the third movie, the more I have to shake my head and wish they'd kept "There and Back Again".

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Even though that title only makes sense if there was 2 movies

3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    An Unexpected Journey
    The Road Goes Ever On
    There and Back Again.

It would work perfectly. The issue is not that it only makes sense for two movies, it would only make sense for better movies.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They changed the title to Battle of the Five Armies?

haha, what a load of crap. That's up there with AotC.

5. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    No, it's worse than that. The actual name of the battle is the Battle of Five Armies, so The Battle of the Five Armies is not even an accurate title .

Rew likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    There and Back Again refers to Bilbo's journey

Henceforth, that name will be used for the future Box Set

7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    When did Peter Jackson start posting here?

8. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    September 3, 2012, apparently.

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    But then we wouldn't know which five armies; this is the battle of THE five armies. :p

Anyway, at first I saw the logic in saying that TABA didn't make as much sense for just the third installment as it would for the whole story (the way it was used as a subtitle for the novel). While that may be true, it wouldn't have confused anyone anyway, and it had a nice conclusive feeling to it with the TABA name. Yes, we've already seen him go "there", but everyone knew that anyway. The "back again" part would have just brought everything full circle. Now we have a name more fitting for a chapter of the story, and the use of it for the title of the final movie seems to take away some of that nice conclusive feeling I mentioned before. Also, the particular title seems to want to emphasize big action.

10. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

I'm just quoting something that PJ quoted

12. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    You're just being redundant.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd much rather see Michael Jackson's Hobbit trilogy to be honest.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    This is what Luke Evans had to say about the title change

“I actually think it’s absolutely right because when it was two films There and Back Again would’ve been the second film’s title. Now it’s three films it’s become redundant… We have the Battle of the Five Armies which we focus on, it’s a very important part of the story. I think it’s right, I think it’s appropriate that it’s changed and I think Peter would’ve thought about it with a lot of care.
    “I think the decision’s right – when you see the film you’ll understand exactly why.”

http://screenrant.com/hobbit-3-battle-five-army-title-logo/

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Translation: "This is a blatant cash grab, so we're not using There And Back Again because it reminds people that we're blatantly cash grabbing."

lbr789, Random Comments and Bacon164 like this.
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I'm not buying it.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well Desolation of Smaug is a fairly crap title, so I suppose this fits.

What they should have done is called the second one "There..." And the third "...aaaand Back Again",

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Maybe I'm just being naive, but I think Jackson's primary concern personally is just playing around with his toys as much as possible, and money comes second at best. It's the studio/studio pressure that cares most about the revenue.

tom and Bacon164 like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, he's thinking about that as he's having a threesome with Pippa and Fran on a giant pile of hundred dollar bills.

21. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah he and Fran are always defending bloated three hour cuts that would be twice as effective if pared down. Lookin at you, Kong.

22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, Jackson's "more is more" problem was evident years before he did The Hobbit.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i liked king kong, including the long buildup before they reach the island. for me it was naomi watts' performance they really sold the film, and it wouldn't have worked if you didn't spend some time getting to know ann darrow before she was thrust into turmoil. a few of the action sequences once they reached the island probably could have been trimmed, but i enjoyed the spectacle.

TX-20 likes this.
  24. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Eh, I'd say that, as in the original, 40 minutes is more than enough time to get to know her. 75 is a bit much, and it's not like the majority of that time is spent with her anyway. Most of the edit is spent alternating between Jack Black's best Welles caricature, slow motion shots of typewriter keys, and Friday Night Lights coach getting his posters scribbled on. The film is too damn long.

Sarge likes this.
  25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    maybe. i'd have to watch it again. i only saw it in the theater. i wouldn't be too surprised if it felt too long upon subsequent viewings, but i rarely watch a film more than once.