main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Because he had wanton and depraved eyes on. She wanted a double serving of wang, and reasoned - not illogically - that her penislust would be shared by her brother and husband. Since she batted not an eyelid at the idea of incest with her gay brother, it is reasonable to assume that they'd already experimented with a pratical comparison of various rusty wagon wheels.

That is, she and Loras had already knocked boots together, and she had the look of a lascious slattern which scared him. He was not ready for a threesome involving siblings.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I have a feeling Locke is also taking the place of Biter and will be the one to cross paths with Brienne and Gendry.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Gendry took the place of Edric Storm, though. He isn't with the Brotherhood... 'cause they kind of sold him out to Melisandre.

I hope she returned Littlefinger's rocket-powered turnip cart, btw.

YodaKenobi and yankee8255 like this.
  4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

That would have made sense, but at this point he's headed in entirely the wrong direction.

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    That is another better alternative than the one we've currently got. I'd like it. And, considering Gwendoline said she got to bit a man's ear off, we will see that duel in some form. I just hope they don't accelerate her quest too much so that she meets LSH this season.

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Gendry's the one who killed Biter at the Inn at the Crossroads in AFFC, thus my comment.

And who knows; he might get sent south to go collect men or whatever. Either way, he'd be the far more logical choice to main Brienne's face than some random stranger.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Ugh, I hate everything north of the Wall in that episode. Hate it. It doesn't make sense even from the TV show perspective. Why did Sam tell Jon his "brothers" were alive? What purpose does that serve? Why change that? There's an impending battle. WHY send Jon north? I don't care if Allister hates him. He's not stupid; he knows he needs every man. How the **** did Bran and co. stumble upon Craster's keep? Do the TV writers have no sense of the scale (the Wall is 300 ****ing miles long, and the landscape widens quickly), much less that the keep is totally in the wrong direction? Even TV viewers, with their lack of handy maps and such, noticed this.

I hope it's the low point of the show, but that's probably not the case.

tom and Ender Sai like this.
  8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

Like I said yesterday, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point and wait and see how the Craster's stuff plays out. That doesn't mean I'm not very worried and pessimistic about what the change, specifically Jon now knowing his brothers are alive, does to his entire dynamic once Stannis arrives. We've already seen what dreadful conasequences Jamie returning early has had on his scenes with Cersei so far this season.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm willing to bet that Rast will redeem himself and perhaps be the one to kill Karl at Craster's. Jon will take pity on him and bring him back to the Wall, where he will die in the subsequent wildling attack. IIRC, that's how Rast dies in the book anyway, so it's win-win.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I just think book-readers especially at /r/asoiaf are overlooking how weak this episode was because of the revelations about the Others at the end.
    I'd say it's my least favourite episode of the show so far. Meh, maybe it's just me, but I think the series never really recovers from the character losses which occur in ASoS.

tom and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, everybody at Westeros is the same. Best episode ever etc just because of the ending. But ignoring that -- or even including it since it's narratively pointless right now-- this is by far the weakest episode. Kind of strange since Cogman is usually good at this stuff and cares more about the books than D&D. When I saw his name in the credits, I thought it was gonna be a good episode.

The Bran plot line is hopeless. I suspect it was entirely a delaying action but they didn't think of the consequences. Same with Jon.

Meereen was glossed over but seeing how long she sits there, they probably don't want to gloss it over. People are already getting bored. They have no idea.

Basically everything outside of the Jaime/Brienne scene sucked this episode. I'm sure it's also such a coincidence that it's the scene closest to the book.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

YodaKenobi and tom like this.
  12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Has anyone watched the "Inside the Episode"? D&D mention how they grew up watching 70s and 80s horror movies, and how important it is to not show the the audience too much of the monster (I assume they're specifically thinking of Jaws and Alien). And yet what they're doing with the final scene would seem to be exactly what they said it was important that they not do.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Plus thinking of the Others as "monsters" is the characters' POV and doesn't necessarily (probably doesn't) reflect reality.

Though again, they don't look so much like mummies in the books.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. They're weird crystalline dudes. With a strange beauty to them. Only wights should look like zombies.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Darth Guy likes this.
  15. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Finished Feast. I don't believe Cersei's out of the game for good, despite how "final" it seems (and yes, I already know about the walk and the death at the end of DWD.) I'm betting she'll be back in power as Regent in Winds of Winter.

16. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    That's my bet too.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    GRRM weighs in on the ending of the last episode in typical GRRM fashion

http://grrm.livejournal.com/368755.html?thread=19056755#t19056755

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So basically he is saying "No comment, but I'll be verbose about it like I am with everything else because I love food and am a huge fat man and will write about food but no comment!"

Is that right?

yankee8255 likes this.
  19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    If I remember correctly, Scarlett only has one child in the movie, but several in the book. Is that his point? Or is his point that watching the adaptation of his book (child) unfold on tv is like watching his child (book) die in a pony jumping accident?

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. The books and show both suck, but in slightly different ways.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

yankee8255 likes this.
  21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    After reading three of these books it became completely clear that Martin doesn't know what he's doing or where he's going. He just doesn't know what to do and is casting about for answers. That's why the showrunners are going off the reservation - they're completely on their own and are getting no help from Martin. Because he can't help them. Because he doesn't know what's going on either.

Saintheart likes this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Realistically, he probably has some contract clause that prohibits him from directly criticizing the HBO adaptation. There's little other reason someone would so consistently offer such meaningless responses.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I mean. It's clear to me that the show made it up, and GRRM's meandering response makes that even more certain IMO. But I imagine the Westeros people aren't convinced because they love their idiot theories.

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

yankee8255 and Darth Guy like this.
  24. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    That's always the issue with adaptations, you're going to offend someone...why not everyone? I'm sure there is a contract that keeps GRRM from causing a raucous as JW points out, they can't stop him from reminding people that there are differences between the two stories. Either way, I don't think it's a problem- it's publicity, people are talking about it...and that means more sales for both sides. Everyone loves conflict.

BTW, GAJ, long time no see, how the heck are ya?

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Nobody's tried to e-kill me in about a decade, so I'd say doing pretty grand. But then I haven't posted in RPF for almost that long too. Big thing I guess is that SW is alive again, so this place is a lot more lovely than it's been in ages.

How about you?

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.