main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Confused about official canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jake Prosser, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake Prosser

Jake Prosser Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2014
    I've been a fan of the original EU, now "Legends" I guess, for years. I enjoyed pretty much everything I could get my hands on, but it was annoying trying to catch up with everybody else who had been following the story since the beginning, and it was next to impossible not to have every major plot twist spoiled before you finally got around to it. That's why I'm not so bothered by the new shift in canon hierarchy. I think it's cool that the EU is getting a reboot. Now we'll all be able to experience it from the beginning, and it's not like they're just tossing the whole thing. I'm sure we'll gradually start getting some of the old characters reintroduced into the new canon.

What I'm confused about is everything that the new canon entails. From what I understand, it's everything moving forward only, including books, games, & comics, starting with the novel, A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller. There were a few things announced before the canon shift that are still coming out, though, like the Darth Maul: Son of Drathomir comics that follow Maul after TCW, and the new Battlefront game. Will these things be considered canon when they come out? If Battlefront 3 becomes canon, does that make the previous Battlefront games canon by default? It's all really confusing.

Is there a list or something from the Lucasfilm story group where we can see everything that is currently considered or will be considered official cannon?

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    No. Anything that existed previously referenced going forward is only canon in regard to the context it's referenced in. No work now under the Legends banner will be made entirely canon merely by referencing part of it.

3. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Jake Prosser, go here for the answers to your questions: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-nu-continuity-timeline-source-list.50019912/

Jake Prosser likes this.
  4. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    Everything considered canon right now:
    Episodes I-VI
    The Clone Wars television show
    Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (NOT Rebel Heist, even though it is premiering after the announcement)

Note that even if something was referenced in one of these sources, it doesn't automatically validate some previous work. Darth Bane's mention in TCW doesn't automatically make his eponymous trilogy canon, or Jedi vs. Sith, or whatever. All it means is that some guy existed and his name was Bane and he started the Rule of Two.

As for Battlefront 3, I've heard that it won't even be called that, probably will just go back to being Battlefront for the new title. Either way, it does not influence the canon of the previous games, which was dubious at best to begin with.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The Darth Maul comic was confirmed as canon by one of the peeps on the tweets. No one seems to have made up their mind about video games though. So far the only 100% confirmed parts of the new canon are Episodes I-VI, TCW, Rebels, the new Darth Maul comic, the four upcoming Del Rey novels whose names I can't remember, and apparently some kids book that's a prequel to Rebels or something.

6. Jake Prosser

Jake Prosser Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2014

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed.

7. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

[​IMG]

So you're telling me that "No Jedi No Cry" is or isn't canon?

vw_jedi, Gorefiend and Starkeiller like this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    These day nothing is canon, everything is permitted ;)

[​IMG]

JediMatteus and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  9. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Don't forget film novelizations where they don't contradict the film. (Ep I-VI and TCW)

Darkslayer and purplerain like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's not what Del Rey said.

11. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    But it is what Ms. Heddle said on Twitter

12. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    Are Del Rey tweets canon or Legends?

Darkslayer, JackG, Ulicus and 3 others like this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Do you have a link for that? That's not what I see.

14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It's possible that is something she said: it looks as if she purged a number of answers she gave after the fact (at least one to a question I asked disappeared the next day). The last I saw for novelizations was this:

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, she was walking back a lot of things she said (though it wasn't clear to me if she had deleted any) and I'm unconvinced Del Rey knows for sure because the phrasing of their answer is poor and suggests something different from what people in Lit are reading it as.

Basically I think this was not super well-thought-out and not that many people were in the know.

16. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

I don't think they anticipated the specificity of some of the questions, and they had their big general answers ready, but once people began asking about specifics and getting narrower and narrower in the questions, it was clear that either they didn't have the an approved wording ready for any such statements or they didn't know enough to properly answer specific questions.

It may well be no one even thought of the specifics. I'm sure a lot of this is evolving, at least at the micro level that fans are going to want to know about.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think fans prefer the cryptic responses, because they can read whatever they like into them... ;)

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So since Star Wars tweeted the name "Modal Nodes" on their fb page and since everything is canon now, does that mean the Modal Nodes name is canon again?

19. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

No, no, you've got it all wrong, you have to make them tweet it backwards, like Mr. Myxlplyx. That forces them to make it canon again.

Starkeiller likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, so you have them tweet it backwards, then you sacrifice a small goat to the altar of Mickey Mouse, and you take a pilgrimage to all of the OT set locations and leave incense there.

THEN is it canon again?

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, no, you have to do that while playing a 12" record backwards.

(secret message in this case is: You've knackered your canon!)

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I took your advice, and now John Lennon's ghost is giving me funny looks. And I'm fresh out of proton packs.

leiamoody likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    'Fess up, you crossed the beams, didn't you?

24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Maaaaaayyyyybeeeee...

[​IMG]

25. tpeezy4sheezy

tpeezy4sheezy Jedi Padawan

May 3, 2014
    Can someone tell me how humans like darth vader can be sith when sith are considered their own species that have red colored skin and tentacle things hanging from their faces? Is it kind of like being Jewish? You can be ethnically Jewish or you could be a white guy from New Jersey who converts to Judaism?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starkeiller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.