main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    now that is just odd. how rarely is rarely?

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    there are probably ten films i've seen more than once.

edit: that's a lie. ten films i've watched intentionally more than once.

jp-30 likes this.
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Even that hideous scene of them "skating" on a pond?

4. duende

Apr 28, 2006

that is so few.

i've seen a lot of films more than once, but they all had something on offer that i found exceptional, even if it was only like one scene or one aspect. then there are the films (few in number) that i can watch over and over again because watching them feels like breathing them in and having them fill every inch of your being. that sort of sounds like getting ****ed. i guess that's appropriate, though: i like films that **** me.

Adam of Nuchtern and Bacon164 like this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i can dig that. it's just a rare thing that a film affects me that strongly, and i've found that repeat viewings can rob a film of its "magic". that said, i've realized that ten is way too low a number. i've watched all of the star wars films, the lotr films, and the first three indiana jones films more than once, and that's 12 right there. the actual number is probably more like 40, but still it's a rare thing.

armen, the part of my post that you bolded was specifically in reference to the stuff that happened on the island. but i actually didn't mind the pond scene, again because i thought naomi watts somehow made it believable. i don't think her performance in that film gets its due.

jp-30 and Merlin_Ambrosius69 like this.
  6. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    some are, some aren't. for me, donnie darko wuz robbed, blade runner is still magical.

i mean if i were to watch blade runner every fuggin day, then yeah. maybe it's like ejaculation - the more often you do it, the less carthartic your climax. you gotta let that magic "recharge".

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Bullet time typewriter.

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I'm getting The Desolation of Smaug via Netflix and I'm FINALLY going to see it for the first time. Anyone want to give me a "previously on The Hobbit" synopis of "An Unexpected Journey"?

For what I can recall from memory...
    - The Dwarfs recruit Bilbo. The main dwarf Oakenshield? battles the one armed ugly white bad guy and almost dies, but survives, and the ugly white bad guy gets away.

- There is something going on with a Necromancer. I know there is a Brown wizard and I don't remember if he's still around or not.

- Bilbo saved the day by turning some trolls to stone, and he got the Ring.

Am I forgetting anything important that I should know before watching movie #2?

9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That's about it. Dwarves and Bilbo are going to the Lonely Mountain to get their gold back from Smaug, Gandalf and Radagast (the Brown wizard) are suspicious about the Necromancer.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Which version of Blade Runner do you prefer? I bought the "Director's Cut" the other day, watched it and...it just left me cold. Like half the story was not told. The theatrical version with full bored Harrison Ford narration just seems to click better for me.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked Kong a lot, but like Tom, I've only seen it once which was in the theaters.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I only watch movies once and then I make sure my minions destroy every single copy in existence.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    exactly

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It highlights the weariness if the character, c'mon! :p

16. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    the director's cut was the first version i ever saw so that one feels more "right" to me. when i watched the theatrical version and the narration came in, i was like "shut up, idiot. just shut your mouth!" but he wouldn't, so it ended up being a pretty unsatisfying experience.

i felt i understood the story just fine without the narration, and i don't remember any of it adding any particular detail of importance.

it's a bit like when that donnie darko director's cut came out with all that extra junk about aliens and the rules of time travel and PTHHHHHHH. it just lards up the movie with crap. i still prefer my interpretation of what happens/what the film means to his (richard kelly).

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  18. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    What the heck is going on there? Is that some teaser photo?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    No, it's Orlando Bloom doing some filming for the Desolation of Smaug making a face

20. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Looks like he's punching Peter Jackson for making these movies in the first place.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh look at that, someone already made a MEME from it [face_laugh]

I Are The Internets No you're really happy that these films were made :p

Son of a Bith likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm happy for the LOTR movies if that's what you mean.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I watched Smaug (1 hr 20 min Wednesday night and the other 1 hr 20 min last night). It was just ok. The barrel sequence was really well done. I liked the Gimli easter egg. The necromancer and Gandolf battle was very cool. I wonder how Gandolf the White would have done against him. I wasn't shocked on his true identity of the necromancer as it was fairly obvious through the dialogue of the film. I think that's why I thought the film was just ok, there weren't really any surprises. I wonder if I’ll enjoy it more if I watch them back to back to back.