main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    Having just completed the Clone Wars show (thanks Netflix!) and now with the announcement that TCW is one of the few things out there that are truly Star Wars canon, I'm starting to feel like Attack of the Clones and TCW can be considered one giant epic movie. There's so much stuff in the prequels, so many characters, worlds, cultures, motivations, plots, etc, I don't have a problem thinking of the prequel trilogy as a much larger series than the original trilogy.

Thoughts?

cwustudent likes this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If it makes you happy.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    One way you can look at it is picturing AOTC as the real theatrical lead-in to TCW, with ROTS as the concluding theatrical piece that wraps it all up. As for the series proper, some of the longer arcs can feel like mini movies, but it's a little hard for me to imagine a lot of the stand-alones as anything other than TV episodes.

But yeah, throw in the micro series and the string of AOTC-MS(1-20)-TCW-MS(21-25)-ROTS makes for a really cohesive and self-contained story. Sure, the OT continues the broader story of Anakin/Vader, but those tell the story of the Clone Wars.

cwustudent likes this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Personally I think TCW makes a better backstory than AOTC. TCW straight to ROTS with TCW acting as a lead in series on its own and providing the backstory.

5. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I'm rewatching CW on Netflix with my 6-year old brother, who is seeing it for the first time. We just watched Clone Cadets and around this period of S3, the timeline gets a little out of order. He knows Cat and Mouse, and Hidden Enemy take place before the film, and Clone Cadets before Rookies (His two favorite episodes), but I think it'll be more confusing for him with this many episodes out of order after each other. He hated when Onaconda Farr died so it'll be strange to see him again. This may not be a problem for other children, but he pays attention to the show A LOT. He figured out Clone Cadets happened before rookies after noticing Hevy. So with Supply Lines, I've already made up an explanation; the battle of Ryloth has been continuing since S1.

Sorry for the rambling, but I need a way to explain the timeline to him without confusing him or discouraging him from watching the show.

6. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    I agree. I just don't get it when people say that TWC abruptly ended and want more leading up to ROTS.
    IMO, the show investigated Anakin, Dooku, Grievous, Order 66 and the Clone Wars to a large extent, that I find to be complete as a ROTS backstory.
    What it did not complete upon, is the fate of certain characters. Those characters, however are not present in ROTS, so no problem there.

Obviously, most fans want to know about Ahsoka. IMO, the way season 5 ended was an excellent way to provide an exit for the character. For two reasons.
    One, it allows fans to create their own story about her.
    Two, her fate is unknown (yet), and that creates a sense of mystery. It is the same mystery that Anakin is probably feeling for the rest of the Clone Wars. I like it, because we are experiencing the emotions of character in a much deeper level.

Vader'sGoodHand likes this.
  7. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    Sorry double post. Ignore.

8. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    Are you watching it in the Order that Netflix has it or in the Chronological order that Starwars.com released? If you watch the latter all the episodes make more sense.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/2014/03/17/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder/

9. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008

I agree with that sentiment - not to detract from the show, but with the exception of the Lost Missions' Order 66 and Yoda arcs, there's nothing in the series that feels like it could have (or indeed, should have) been part of the movies proper. Most episodes are great additions to the saga, but not vital parts to the Skywalker-Jedi-Sith story.

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

While I think TCW makes a great story I am with folks who get upset TCW ended abruptly. I didn't need it to run into ROTS granted I was a fan of TCW overlapping a little and doing stories about what else was going on at the very end of the era concurrently with the events we see onscreen in ROTS. I just would have liked TCW to get a chance to conclude properly with good bookends to plot strands. As it is we have a the Yoda arc which works as an fulfilling ending, plots threads left dangling, and some time frozen characters sitting on the shelves.

11. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm a little late to this one, but since I didn't see anyone else mention it.. Someone posted an interview with Filoni a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure he had confirmed that Ahsoka did not gain any special abilities or powers from The Daughter.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this was the one:

Seerow likes this.
  12. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I remember hearing this as well, though I was unable to locate the interview when I looked for it.

13. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    Thanks guys for clearing it up.

14. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Ugh. Filoni, what are you DOING? Holding that helmet while wearing your cowboy hat just makes you look like a tool. Jesus, he may as well get it over with and start wearing a fedora to complete the look.

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Why does he wear that hat anyways?

16. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I like the hat. Don't know what it is about it. I prefer him in the hat. He just doesn't look the same without it.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No opinion on the hat but he wouldn't be Filoni without it.

18. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Lucas originally gave the working title of "The Clone Wars Trilogy" to the prequels. While TPM is important, I don't consider it part of that Clone Wars story. It's significant to the overall story of the Rise of the Empire, the Jedi-Sith conflict and the character drama, and it's a final glimpse at the golden age of the Republic, but it's chronologically separated from AOTC by ten whole years IU, more than half the size of the gap between ROTS and ANH. It's almost a prologue to the Clone Wars.

The Clone Wars premise is set up in AOTC. Together, AOTC, the microseries (it's in my canon; to hell with Disney if they say otherwise), TCW and ROTS make up the Clone Wars story. It's the complete story of the Republic's final three years, the militarisation of the galaxy, and the fall of the Jedi. It's the Clone Wars Tetralogy.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Cause he's Indiana Jones

20. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    Obviously

21. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    The order Netflix has them. It would be better if they were in chronological order, but the aired order (IMO) is a better introduction to the characters.

22. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    The story doesn't flow as well. In episode 1 season 1 you automatically see Ahsoka which makes sense since the movie was out first but unless you've seen the movie then it throws everything off since there is no backstory. I watched it in Netflix order for a while when I first got into the shows this year. Once I heard the episodes were out of order I went back and watched them in chronological and it flowed a lot better. Just personal opinion and it would explain a lot to your brother in regards to characters dying and then some how show them in later episodes. Enjoy though!

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    When I had the crash course last month, I tried it both ways the chronological really does make more sense if you are a person that needs order as an aspect that helps you comprehend things.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm never really bothered by chronological order or not. I watched them in airing order when I got into the show and put them together in my head. I actually like best to stack related episodes into long arcs which is how I tend to get the best storyline and insights from the episodes as to how everything connects together.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012