main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Anakin insane by the time he fought Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Cyn, Apr 8, 2014.

1. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    THIS is the only version of ROTS that I like. And, contrary to what you say about Stover's take on the "certain point of view" (the Anakin 'dialogue' with Vader, "The Dragon", etc), the end part which you allude to above - "it was all YOU" - totally repudiates the "certain point of view" for the nonsense that it is/was. That of course, is probably what I like about it.

2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Well if we take the "Revenge of the Sith" book into account, Anakin thinks Obi-Wan and Padme are having an affair. So one could argue that he does go mad at Mustafar when he sees Padme has brought Obi-Wan. Anakin even says, "you brought him here to kill me," *Force Choke*. By that point I would say Skywalker was off his rocker and the Dark Side had full control of him.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The point of view on the surface of it is that when a Jedi becomes a Sith, they abandon who they were and become someone else. That's why Vader says that his real name no longer has any meaning for him, because that is the part of himself that he has tried to deny that he was since Palpatine told him that Padme was dead. Luke says that is not true and that he has only forgotten that he was once a good man, in spite of all the horrible things that he has done.

Anakin only thinks that briefly when he senses his presence in her apartment. He mainly thinks that Obi-wan just brainwashed her into believing that he was evil, which is why he lashes out on Mustafar.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the movie he does ask "Is there someone else" when he meets her, and "senses someone coming between them" - Padme explains she's pregnant.

In the book, the same scene is portrayed with him being more aggressive about it.

His suspicions after sensing Obi-Wan in her apartment "That's a little close for casual conversation" are lulled a bit by the fact that Padme has had several visitors, not just Obi-Wan.

5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    After reading the novel, it seemed to me Anakin had a split-personality disorder in addition to having a borderline personality disorder. I wouldn't call him insane, but he was definitely not playing on a full deck.

Kato Sai and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This article has some interesting things to say about Anakin's psychology:

http://rebeccasdystopia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/star-wars-psychology-anakin.html

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The novelization having Anakin be more aggressive was Stover's way of foreshadowing Anakin's turn by showing moments of jealousy and possessiveness with Padme. Rather than the way Lucas has it come mid way through the film.

Iron_lord likes this.