main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

When you add up exactly who believes what about this prophecy, there is definitely something odd going on. And a vergence in the Force? What? Is that like a midichlorian?

I remember there being some toys, lego sets, etc. titling this ship "the Rebel blockade runner." Maybe it has a more official purpose or class now, but at least at one time, it was presented as a fast ship.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that name dates back to Star Wars Poster Monthly and before:

STAR WARS: OFFICIAL POSTER MONTHLY #6
    Published March 1978

http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post6-03.jpg

Emperor Ferus and Dameron like this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Who wore the Boba Fett armor for the jew Jabba scene in ANH? I'm pretty sure it was Mark something...

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That better be a typo, not a comment on Jabba's characterisation...;)

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    J is right above N on the keyboard ...

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh crap ._.
    K I mean
    Who wore the Boba Fett armor for the Jabba scene in the ANH special editions?

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Wookieepedia says Mark Austin (Boba Fett page).

8. Staplepuffs27

Staplepuffs27 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
    Can 3PO move his fingers? They seem really stiff in the movies, but more flexible in TCW.

9. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

The only time I remember seeing him use his hands is when he picks up the commlink on the Death Star. His fingers move, but they definitely look less capable than a human's.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Probably just due to the physical limitations of Anthony Daniels' costume.

11. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

You're probably right. I just watched AOTC again, and he hangs from a ledge by his hands and can fire a blaster. Makes it seem unlikely the intent was for his hands to be only semi-functional.

12. DonWidmore

DonWidmore Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2014
    I hope this is the right place to ask this question (and please feel free to recategorize it if not):

I have a kind of photographic memory and have vivid memories of many things that I saw going back to about 1971 or so.

I clearly remember seeing a very specific cut of a TV commercial for Star Wars shown once, only once, around March 1977. It was completely different in style and tone than any later ads I saw and it also did not match the TV commercial included with the standard DVD box set, which is the only DVD set I own of the series.

This commercial included a scene of Darth Vader in vertical movement (think it was his chamber scene which I mistook for an elevator) and I'm about 80% sure it also included the line "My name is C3PO, Human Cyborg relations and this is my counterpart R2D2." The reason I'm only 80% sure of that line is that I know that line showed up in a movie preview I saw in the theaters.

The closest to this original commercial I've seen is the kind of editing and voice over done here:

One reason I clearly remember this commercial is that I was really intrigued by this commercial, my parents rejected my request to go see the movie, and when I talked to my best friend about it he kept telling me "the name of the TV show is Star Trek, not Star Wars!" In other words, I felt the frustration of an 8 yr old being ignored. Then there was a gap of weeks and I lamented not getting to see the movie and then blammo, in June 1977, the last week or two of school, everyone went completely bonkers for the film and I knew I had seen the commercial weeks before- and also that the commercial I saw bore no resemblance to the media onslaught that was on TV. I definitely know that the logo was entirely different- that's why I pointed to the link above.

I remember a LOT of strange discussions that summer, I remember getting into a screaming fight with one of my friends that the close up of the Stormtrooper on the dewback did not appear in the film.

Has anyone done any analysis of the early, pre-release promotional material made for the movie? I'm surprised there isn't this massive database of scans of the first ad that appeared in Variety or in the NY times, etc.

13. Staplepuffs27

Staplepuffs27 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
    This might be a stupid question, but was it common knowledge that Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader at the time of the original trilogy? I mean, was his turn to the Dark Side in Episode 3... public? How many people knew of his true identity after he put on the mask? If many people knew, surely Luke would discover who his father was much sooner. I just find it a little hard to believe that Vader's identity wasn't common knowledge after such a public slaughtering of many people.

14. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

I don't think it was common knowledge in terms of being on the (Imperial-controlled) news broadcasts, but how does he re-introduce himself to the 501st when they're getting ready to hit the Temple? General Skywalker? Lord Vader is more likely. Order 66 has just been given; somehow these guys have to have been given the word that the man before them no longer counts as a Jedi. And Palpatine tells his troops that he senses "Lord Vader" is in danger, even before the mask goes on. In a New Hope, Tarkin knows that Obi-Wan Kenobi is Vader's old master. I don't think Luke could find the origin of Vader in a history book or anything, but it seems likely that a lot of people who work directly with Vader or Palpatine would know of his past.

Carrie Walsh likes this.
  15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/who-knows-vader-is-anakin.50019147/

16. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    Why does it take a year between Episodes V and VI for Luke, Leia, & Lando to go save Han from Jabba? This has probably already been addressed a hundred times, but I never knew the answer. It seems to me like they're all preparing to go to Tatooine immediately at the end of Episode V.

17. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    "Surely he must be dead by now." - Tarkin to Vader, referring to Obi Wan. What does he mean by this? Presumably not of old age as he's only about 60, so does he mean he must have been killed by Stormtroopers or something? If so, wouldn't they have reported the fact that they'd killed him?

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He probably does mean old age - it's likely that Obi-Wan was originally meant to be closer to Alec Guiness's actual age.

19. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Which was also early sixties

20. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014
    Maybe he's referring to incidents where Vader and his Jedi hunters bombed or blew up Jedi without knowing their identities. Surely Anakin the great star pilot has shot down a fugitive Jedi or two in dogfights without knowing which ones they were. In-universe, Tarkin is saying, "Surely he's one of the John Does we've killed."

Sarge, Iron_lord and Palpatine's P.A. like this.
  21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Boba Fett didn't go directly to Tatooine. His ship was damaged by IG-88's attack and he had to put into Gall Spaceport for repairs. Shadows of the Empire explains what Leia, Luke and Lando did during that time

Carrie Walsh and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
    But I wonder what the explanation is supposed to be now that the old EU material isn't canon anymore.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Well unless the Story Group writes in a new story to replace those adventures, you might as well continue to consider SotE canon. I can't see any reason why Rebels or the ST will trample over Shadows' storyline anyway.

24. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    They're being pretty strict about the new canon rules, so I don't think anything from the old EU applies anymore. I never got into any of the SotE material anyway, but maybe it will get included in the new canon if they start picking out fan favorites from the EU like everyone thinks they will.

25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The point is, you asked what Luke, Leia and Lando did during that time, and as of right now, SotE has the only answer.