main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Clone Troopers or Storm Troopers?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skyrimcat9416, Jan 26, 2014.

?

Clone Troopers or Storm Troopers?

1. Clone Troopers

98 vote(s)
    60.1%
  2. Storm Troopers

65 vote(s)
    39.9%
  1. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Well said.

I think one of the big reasons this is possible is because the clones are, up until Episode III, heroes while stormtroopers are villains. If a hero is shooting at villainous henchmen, like the clones shooting at droids, then the hero will almost always hit their target. Contrast that with the stormtroopers. Stormtroopers shooting at the main characters can't hit their targets, or else the movie will be over. So the unfortunate byproduct is that stormtroopers end up looking incompetent, and we have 37 years worth of jokes about how stormtroopers suck at shooting. Stormtroopers didn't have good opportunities to do the things clones did because of the fact that they were on the bad guy's team.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  2. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    That's absolutely true, but it doesn't really change the facts. Of what we see, clones are just cooler.

3. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004

Yeah, I agree with you. What I was saying is one of the reasons that they're cooler. They had opportunities to be cooler that the stormtroopers didn't.

4. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    As much as I love clones, the iconic-ness and great helmet won me over to the stormtroopers side.

5. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    I think I'd probably change my vote. I voted Stormtroopers because I prefer their look. However, the clones were far better soldiers and we did get an in depth look at them thanks to the show.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would say clone troopers, simply because they seemed to have much better training and a better sense of unity/camaraderie between each other, Dedicating their lives to the cause of saving the Republic. For the stormtroopers, it was a bunch of different people-whether volunteers or being drafted-which went through the cookie-cutter churn 'em and burn 'em version of training in the Imperial Academy. A lesser sense of dedication, IMO-More of a "join the Empire and see the Galaxy" type of self-interested attitude, And it showed in their level of skill and cunning.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Clone Troopers. They can shoot. Kill. Actually do things.

Stromtroopers. They were beaten by a bunch of ewoks and couldn't shoot the broadside of a Star Cruiser to save their souls.

Cyreides likes this.
  8. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    While I generally prefer the Original Trilogy, I have to give this to the Clone Troopers. Everyone else has stated the reasons why; they're competent, they're deadly, they're badass, they had individual personalities, et cetera.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I voted for the Stormtroopers, maybe that didn't have as much personality as Clones but I liked it that way. The Clones in AOTC reminded me of the Stormtroopers so I liked them more there than in ROTS. Stormtroopers were a symbol of fear, I've just never been a fan of the militaristic Clone personality many of the clones had.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. SteveMcgrath

SteveMcgrath Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2014
    I'm gonna have to say Clones, even though there were clones, they felt more like real people. Besides that, they actually had competence in battle, so much so they completed Order 66 pretty well. So did Stormtroopers as long as the person they were firing at wasn't a main character.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The clones from the Micro-Series were pretty similar and enjoyable imo. They were still cool in TCW but things were pretty over the top.

TrandoJedi and mes520 like this.
  12. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yeah (just about everything is enjoyable in the micro-series though ;)). I've always liked the Phase I clones and Stormtroopers alot more than Phase II variety in general for some reason.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Phase 2 armor was better looking than Phase 1 but nothing could top those ARC Troopers using hand signals during their mission.

14. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    LOL they were owning chit on Hoth...

15. Kestrellius

Kestrellius Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2014
    Their victory at Hoth was just as plot-driven as them missing the rest of the time though. Come on -- the battle, as fought, should have been a resounding Rebel victory. The Rebels basically fought in the least effective way imaginable. If they'd tried to outflank the walkers, they could have taken them out in minutes with neck shots. Or blown them up by using actual bombers with torpedoes, rather than airspeeders.

And I have to say clones. Because of the other reasons listed here, and also because their tech looks so much more awesome. Besides, they're basically one of the only factions ever to use blue weapons fire.

16. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I must choose the Stormtroopers. I never jived with the kiwi clones and their boyscout demeanor. (TCW)

17. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's really hard to say. The many varieties of Clonetroopers looked like cool renditions of all the stormtroopers. Still, I can't keep up with all the clonetrooper variations and when they are used. Stormtroopers seemed to have a more recognizable structure. It's cold--that one. Flying a fighter--that one. Driving an AT-AT--that one. Everything else--that one. The Prequels and the Clone Wars show allowed us to see more of that life though even if stormtroopers weren't all clones.

18. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The good ol' fashion storm troopers for me even though clone troopers can be cool.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Stormtroopers, as long as they are going against someone that doesn't have plot armor.

20. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Clone troopers all the way, better armour, better weapons plus in TCW they each have a good role like servjng under a jedi general not like strom troopers in the OT that just run around and shoot and hardly say anything, plus their armour looks horrbile!

21. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Stormtroopers, no contest.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. DarthMaulFTW

DarthMaulFTW Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2014
    Clone troopers. They were much more effective in battle that storm troopers which is strange considering they are exactly the same thing. I suppose it comes down to tactics - the empires blow everything up against Jedi's aggresive negotiations.

AshiusX likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, these days most stormtroopers are not clones. Maybe the Kaminoans are just better at producing soldiers than the Empire is at turning volunteers or conscripts into soldiers.

24. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Clone Troopers.
    1. They could actually hit opponents.
    2. Damn, did they look cool:
    [​IMG]

AshiusX likes this.
  25. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Stormtroopers are more iconic than Clone troopers. Most people simply think of them as the same thing anyway. But basically, when it comes to writing the saga the way it was written, the Clones were inspired by the Stormtroopers. If Lucas never made Stormtroopers, we would probably not have had Clones in the PT (or at least not in the way that they were presented).

And I don't really get the whole "personality" issue with the storm troopers. They're just normal soldiers. There was some personality there. What really had no personality was the Clones after Order 66.