main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Some are. Notable threats, that is. People like Mace Windu or Shaak Ti, high end Jedi Masters who could possibly stand against Sidious in a duel.

Others are no more threatening that many non Force users. Which doesn't mean they are not threats of course, since NFUs are themselves often very threatening. Something that Sidious the elitist disregarded at his peril. In fact, if Vader hadn't killed him when he did, Lando Calrissian, Nien Nunb and Wedge Antilles, all of whom are NFUs, would have killed him about five minutes later.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I like all these ideas.

My greatest wish has always been an Animated Han Solo and Chewbacca series,set during their smuggling years before A New Hope.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I can merged the old Future of Star Wars TV and the Future animation thread because the topics are so similar. We had a request to reopen the former decided we don't need both.

4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    If Vader hadn't thrown Palpatine into the reactor, Palpatine would have hopped on his shuttle once Lando, Nien, and/or Wedge flew into the Death Star.
    Yes please! I'd love to learn about and see the history of the Jedi lineage that the saga revolves around.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone see the episode of The Goldbergs and their take on Star Wars Day? I've never watched the show before and found it quite enjoyable for the most part. The Star Wars storyline, while not particularly too funny, was really touching at the end. I actually found the wrestling storyline funnier and I'm not a fan of wrestling at all.

With Star Wars becoming part of pop culture again, do you guys think there will TV shows be doing more episodes like this thoughout the year or just once a year? Will we start seeing/hearing more random Star Wars references being made in these types of shows?

6. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I think we're gonna start hearing a lot of jokes about how old the original Big 3 are. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How about an animated adaptation of Shadows of the Empire? It would be a chance to revisit the OT era while connecting to TCW.

King_Kenobi62 likes this.
  8. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

And call it Legends of the Force.

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Debatable... :p

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I want something that shows Dooku as a Jedi. That way his appearances in AOTC and ROTS would have more meaning.

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    [QUOTEI] want something that shows Dooku as a Jedi. That way his appearances in AOTC and ROTS would have more meaning. [/QUOTE]

I like this idea. I was watching the Yoda arc in TCW S6 and agree it'd be cool to see that time filled in, along w/many of the other ideas. I like the idea of Han and Chewbacca, but think a Boba Fett show could be interesting as well.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I wish they would just kind of do a kind of thing where all the broad strokes of the Star Wars universe are handled in film, with increasingly insignificant/tangential (but still entertaining) gaps get filled by the other media.

For instance, I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness for the second time, now that it's available on Amazon Prime streaming, and I forgot about certain nods they give to the old series. Kirk, Spock and Uhura go to Kronos in a smuggler vessel confiscated during the "Mudd Incident." Harry Mudd being a character from the Original Series that the new films gave a nod to. But then that raises the question of what the "Mudd Incident" was, and how much this Mudd of the new continuity is like that of the old Mudd. Maybe there's a comic that explains what happened (or maybe not, I don't know), but there's a story there.

Thirty years is a long time between the OT and ST. Palpatine's rise to power and reign combined was 36 years, I believe. So there's plenty of time for new villains and conflicts arising between the trilogies that may have been dealt with by the time of Episode VII.

They could do something in Episode VII, like make some nod to Thrawn. If you don't care who Thrawn is, then it's not important enough to matter. Just like if the "Mudd Incident" reference went over a person's head, it wasn't really going to trip them up much. But then they could do some spinoff film that shows this conflict that gets referenced in the ST. Non-essential to understanding the ST films, but still builds upon it. TCW itself was something that for years existed as a single reference made in ANH.

Works would cluster in a way that there's pretty much zero chance of running into major continuity errors, since the saga and spinoff films paint the big picture, with games/novels/comics pretty much waiting in the wings to fill in the gaps and deal with issues that are increasingly tangential or not necessarily of vital importance to understanding what's going on in the bigger picture.

So when it comes to the future of ST on TV, I hope that they kind of lag behind the films in that I hope that while the films blaze new territory into the 30 year post-ROTJ era, that the TV shows stay in the PT/OT era. But then when the films have a firm footing as far as what the story is going to be (say as filming for Episode IX finishes) that any gaps left over will then fall to the TV series, games, novels and comics. The saga films and spinoff films primarily serve to really blaze the trail while the other media maintain it, expand upon it and give it life.

13. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    True, however I think they are kind of in a no win situation with EU fans right now. They already stated that the EU is being discarded and those stories in the new universe won't exist. Even if they do try to give EU fans easter eggs many of them would perhaps be just as bitter about that as they are about the entire EU being discarded. They don't want to see their characters have different personalities. They want the EU stories to exist.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Eh, well, "yes and no." As with anything, I think it's likely that different people will want different things.

No, you can't please everybody, of course, but speaking for myself? I was a huge fan of a number of EU characters, and even if they are different from their novelized counterparts, I know that I'd be absolutely thrilled if Domhnall Gleeson and Daisy Ridley are playing "Ben Skywalker" and "Jaina Solo," respectively, in the new films (and I know that I've read others even at this forum expressing the very same thing). :)

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Since they're junking the EU I'd rather them not include those characters at all. Let's get all new ideas.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love something that shows Palpatine proposing the taxes from TPM and then putting on his hood and telling the Trade Federation to blockade Naboo.

17. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I think saving a bunch of EU planets, species, and possibly a couple factions would be a good idea but it would probably be best to have entirely new characters.

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well first and foremost, whatever they come out with I want them to finish it. No more TCW crap were we got two different endings that aren't true endings just important plot points in the series and a 4 issue comic book arc that would have been best animated. Then Disney has to think of a way somehow releasing the Star Wars Detours to the public whether in Netflicks if that's the route there are going to take or on iTunes/dvd/blue ray. Rebels ....I think will be good. Lets face it with Filoni as head and Kineberg involved (just look at the new X-Men movie) the show is going to be a hit, now one thing that I don't want is for them to make it too long. They need to just crack on and get to the freaking point. No more homages to different franchises or scenes, or special love a day episodes or power of the planet force amplifying crystal story and all that continue to add season crap. If they can keep this short and confined without asking too many earth shattering questions that require galaxy wide answers then we should be fine. Then of course, not to forget the past, release those damn Droids/Ewok tv series. Stop dilly dallying with this. Its star wars you know and fans have been wanting this for sometime.

Then lets move on forward......I know we all want stuff in the past, in between the 6 movies, but the reality and truth is if Disney bought the license, it is not to tell the same stories in the same eras that we have been getting for the last 15 years. It is to move forward into the sequel trilogy and beyond. That's how star wars will be forever and win new fans. This along with the support of the old ones from all generations could be what Disney needs to legitimize the take over and buyout of GL and his companies. This is a tall order if you ask me and one that many of you have not thought of. I also want to start seeing Marvel doing star wars direct to dvd movies.....maybe some of these can be legends but I doubt it, but a chance to see the animation in different formats not TCW style type. Then we can see if all this was truly worth it. To get the same makes the entire deal retarded. Its time to get new improved and different content that can win back both generations (prequels and OT) and create new ones and strong ones in the sequel trilogy.

Ewok Poet and rdhight like this.
  19. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    In my opinion our best bet for the next Star Wars television show after Rebels will be placed inbetween Ep. VI and VII. And that leads to an interesting idea about what happened with the war after Ep. VI. It is a very very fairy tailish idea that the Empire would have been destroyed and the war would have been over after the destruction of the Death Star and the death of the Emperor and Vader. In reality that would have been just a turning point in the war.....convincing more systems to fight for the Rebel cause and rejuvinating the Rebel fighting force. If we want to take a realistic take on it the war with the Empire likely would have gone on for many years after and they may even still be fighting fragments of the Empire by the time Ep. VII takes place (we will probably find out what came of the war in the opening crawl for Ep. VII).

The opening crawl for Ep. VII will likely tell us a lot about what the next Star Wars television production will be like (as Disney will definitely want to create backstories for their main characters from Ep. VII).

20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    An Empire can succumb fairly quickly in the absence of strong leadership. Chinese dynasties in particular have a reoccurring theme of ending via rebellions. Add to that no clear person to succeed Vader and Palpatine and the expected proliferation of warlords fighting among themselves as well as the Rebels, and I would think any Imperial remnants would be mopped up fairly quickly (maybe several years), especially when you have popular revolts breaking out in seemingly every corner of the Empire, including the capital (as seen in ROTJ) following Palpatine's death.

Pockets of resistance and warlords may hang on for awhile, but I think it would be most plausible, if we're looking at this under the lens of "realism," that when the Rebels have killed the ruler and his successor, and there are massive revolts, that these warlords would not last long, and tales of these battles might not be significant enough to make a film or TV show about, since if the good guys are steadily winning from the very beginning, then there's no tension.

There needs to be a bad guy(s) that could very plausibly win. And I think things were so out of control for the Empire, that I can't see them dominating again or posing a strong threat following the Battle of Endor. Episode VII may prove otherwise, but I think 30 years is a long time to still be fighting the Empire.

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

Yes, the Moffs and Admirals won't go down easy and maybe the Rebel Alliance itself could crumble from within once Palpatine and Vader are gone - the various factions head home thinking it is over - and this gives the Empire time to regroup. However, thirty years seems like a long time for them to survive.

Should a movie or series focus on the Remnant, though, I wouldn't want the Empire to ever be like it is in the OT - no more shiny armor and clean uniforms. Something more gritty, like how the Death Watch camp is in The Clone Wars: A Friend in Need - pushing villagers around and acting like warlords.

rdhight likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This feels like the likeliest option imo.

23. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Some great ideas there :).
    Personally, if I can't have TCW back, I'd love to see a serialization of 'Troops' or a series set in the Old Republic. If the 'Rebellion' has to be featured at all, I'd rather see something set after EVI ... with those New Republicans squabbling, infighting and slowly but surely demonstrating that they aren't able to hold their part of the Galaxy together.

24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'd be totally down for the Echo and Fives show and their adventures between Rookies and ARC Troopers. The fun journey and no the end game ya know.

darklordoftech and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  25. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Oh dear, that's so ... YESSSSS! Someone make that show, please ... via crowdfunding if necessary.

darklordoftech likes this.