main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Adam Goldberg in Fargo

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, May 7, 2014.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    is my homeboy

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, but can he dance?

3. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    stfu tunick, you dont even hav ea beard anymore

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i've seen the first 3 eps and saul better not be this bloody stupid the whole season

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    why not? im pretty sure that's part of the point of his character - to stifle the two younger cops

6. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    I just don't like complete and utter stupidity to dictate the plot.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah but the central theme of the show is predators taking advantage of personal and institutional naivete. this is even more blatant in episode 4, in fact

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the relevant quote in the pilot would be "your problem is you went through life thinking there are rules; there arent"

the characters can be divided into naifs and predators. malvo, hess, wrench, and numbers are predators. stavros thinks he's a predator but he's really just a lucky naif. lester is a naif transforming through circumstance and exposure to malvo's true nature into a predator (a transformation that i get the impression malvo himself went through at some point earlier in life and that i suspect we will be given some sort of flashback or exposition of later in the series). the police chief in the pilot was sort of a caretaker who understands the fragility of his (naive) community and tries to protect it because, dammit, that's the way he likes it. the two younger cops are transforming, (through exposure to malvo) into this, but are still very naive and will have to overcome that. grimley has something personal to protect already (his daughter) but im not clear on what will anchor the solverson character in her transformation. her dad maybe? he seems like sort of a "retired" caretaker type, so maybe she'll just be sheparded by him and poor, dead vern's example in her transformation, but i think she will need something to anchor her, the way grimley had his daughter, her dad had her, and vern had his preggo wife. maybe her change will go "wrong"/leave her "hard" because of the lack of such a personal stake or anchor in naive society

in this environment, new police chief bill is necessary because he represents a naif in charge of a naive institution. he needs to be a disaster, to show the danger of this, why these institutions require the guiding hand of someone like the police chief in the pilot, a benevolent "predator" type, who knows the nature of the world and chooses to protect rather than exploit

Darth-Lando likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Aw, jeez.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

thanks for turning me on to this show, dg. i liek it, as you can tell :p

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I just finished watching the first 4 episodes in the past 2 days. Wow, this may be my new favorite show.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    its deffo the best thing currently in-season, so far as im aware

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Too bad it's only a miniseries. :(

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the creator said he has ideas for the next two seasons and is sitting down to pitch the second this month. it sounds like they wont share many if any of the same characters, tho. american horror story/true detective style anthology is what he's shooting for, which i think is wise. honestly i think a lot of the quality of this show is derived from the fact that its focused on telling a single, 10 hour story instead of a 4-7 season set of interlocking arcs. worked for true detective too. i think its a really promising model for storytelling

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, I didn't realize it was a TD-style anthology. Was that decided after it was greenlit as with TD? I remember it initially being announced as a "limited" series.

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    not sure. i just skimmed an interview with the creator/writer the other day and he was talkign about it

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Also, the other FX series The Americans and Louie are currently airing and I enjoy those at least as much as this show. And Veep and Silicon Valley. Mmm, FX and HBO.

EDIT: And Orphan Black!

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    oh is louie back? yeah that show's consistently masterful.

orphan black sounded interesting to me but hasnt reached a critical mass of interest for me to actually sit down and watch it yet.

the americans always sounded like a class of homeland-y type nonsense ive grown bored of in recent years

veep and silicon valley (especially veep this season!) are great but i wouldnt put them on a level with louie and fargo. artistically, anyways :p

have you seen The Thick of It, darth guy? its the show that veep is based on and it definitely follows the "the original was SOOoooo much better" cliche (although veep has really been impressive in this third season so far and im no longer sure that's true...)

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    No, I haven't gotten to The Thick of It yet.

As for The Americans, it isn't all that much like Homeland. It's pulp-y, but it hasn't become irredeemably stupid in its second season like Homeland did. I avoided the first season because I thought it sounded stupid and jingoistic.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    it isnt? so far the strongest case for it with me has been that it has my homegirl, margot martindale, in a recurring role

21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i don't disagree with any of that. however whilst i agree there is a role for his bungling character, i don't want to see JUST that in the role. if he's too one dimensional it will become off-putting, because no one is that stupid, and if they are, they usually aren't given such positions of power -- or at least not for long. the former police chief saw that, and i would assume others would have too, or at least will eventually. or maybe i'm just meant to buy into that because it's a small minnesota town.

that being said, it's my only grumble so far, and it's only a minor one at this stage. the rest is really good. the score, the look and feel, billy bob obviously and alison tolman have been very good so far. that being said i've started this having just finished true detective, and i'm still kinda recovering from the loss.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They're both "spy thrillers," but so are Goldfinger and The Bourne Identity.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    So, that episode was pretty crazy.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Adam Goldberg isn't in Fargo anymore.

[​IMG]

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Wasn't this only one two hour movie? What are you people talking about "episodes?"