main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think that was Ward. He couldn't look it in the eye and kill it, but he could snipe it from a distance after he got it to run off. I think it was supposed to parallel turning his back on Fitzsimmons to kill them. He could do it if he could make it impersonal.

2. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I would say everyone gets points though for being able to identify by name that one black guy from the Captain America movie.

Souderwan and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I don't think the character's name is spoken in the film, but he is identified in the credits.

4. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It speaks volumes to your character that you bothered to read the credits instead of just calling him "boy"

Souderwan likes this.
  5. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I usually just wait for the credits to end when watching Marvel films, but when Trip first mentioned his ancestors fighting HYDRA a few weeks ago, I looked up the "First Avenger" cast list to find out who Derek Luke played.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Wait, that wasn't Nick Fury?

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't think Fitz and Simmons will die, though it may be possible. What I don't want is for Ward to come back to the group later saying he knew they could get out of it. I could almost see the writer's setting us up by giving us Fitz finally coming to realize Ward is evil only them to find out he's a double/triple, whatever agent. Perhaps that only Fury knew about?

Actually, don't want Ward coming back from the darkside at all!

pronker likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, the shooting the dog scene was ambiguous -- I had thought it was Garrett (showing what happens when you have a weakness) but it's a good point about Ward intentionally making the dog run off ("he does it every time...") and the capping him from a distance...

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I hope we never actually find out, though I lean towards the later theory that Ward simply can't kill someone he's attached to, unless it's from a distance.

That said, I'm pretty sure he didn't kill FitzSimmons.

dp4m likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So Skye's totally a Skrull then, rite? Rite?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  12. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, the shooting the dog scene was ambiguous -- I had thought it was Garrett (showing what happens when you have a weakness) but it's a good point about Ward intentionally making the dog run off ("he does it every time...") and the capping him from a distance...

It had to be Garrett. Ward only had a pistol to start the dog running. There would be no way he would have had to time go back and get his rifle and then re-find the dog running through the woods. Garrett was watching the dog through the scope in real time. Although I'll have to watch it again, but I don't recall any gunshot sound effect with that scene. I took it as Garrett watching to see if Ward actually carried it out, and then confirming that Ward didn't. Garrett then knew that Ward lied about it, but it also means that Ward lied about it. I wouldn't expect the show to actually show the dog getting shot, but there would have been a gun shot sound, or a scene of Garrett manipulating the bolt of the rifle afterward...something.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's... brilliant? Although likely Chitauri, as they can't use Skrull (unless TV rights are different). Especially since at least higher incarnations of Super Skrulls have Hypontism powers which acts as a low-level mind control which is exactly what they've been saying all YEAR doesn't exist... but also explains why people like / protect / snowflake Skye as an in-plot reason.

As well as ties to Young Avengers as Hulkling was a mixed Skrull/Kree parentage? (and Skye now has Kree blood?)

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    If we're going to run with this, it makes sense ot assume that Flowers is a Skrull (or MCU equivalent), too, and that was the real interest for her interest in Garrett and why she was so disappointed by his lack of psychic abilities.

"Darn, thought he was a Super Skrull"

And, y'know, the whole "hey, she's like me on the inside! Yay" thing.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    AFAIK, Marvel has the rights to use the Skrulls, just not the singular Super Skrull character himself, as Fox has the rights to that under the FF rights.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nah, otherwise it would have been Skrulls in The Avengers -- it was explicitly mentioned to be off-limits due to FF.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Maybe the blue being in TAHITI was Skye's father. omg.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep, they have the rights to the Skrulls. Kevin Feige said that the rights to the Skrulls are not exclusive either Marvel Studios or 20th Century Fox. Whedon used the Chitauri because he didn't want to use shape-shifters in "The Avengers". But I think they indicated that the body in the Guest House was a Kree. Skrulls are green and Kree are blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More than likely given what we learned in this episode,
    it seems that Skye comes from the Pink Kree which have flesh tone skin. The Pink Kree are subset of Kree that have appeared in more recent times. I think they're also going to combine the traditional Kree with the Ultimate version since the Ultimate Captain Marvel has cybernetically implanted weapons not unlike what they've been doing with Deathlok.

19. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I never thought about Skye being a Skrull. I always thought that that mentioning the "Hunan Providence in China" was a reference to the Inhumans. For the longest time, the secret city of the Inhumans was located in the Himalayas, which is just across the border with China. Although (unless it's moved again), the city is currently on the Moon, it still could have been in the Himalayans during Skye's past.

The Kree are the ones who screwed around with human DNA to create the Inhumans, so the Kree connection makes sense there.

Although not exclusive to the Fantastic Four, the Inhumans are still tied to the FF through Crystal. How are the Inhman rights tied to Fox and FF?

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Marvel has the rights to Inhumans. That's why they've been pimping them so hard these past years.

21. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Then it can't just be coincidence to mention a province in China, because the Himalayas are right next door.

Raina and Skye would be cousins?

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That would be a likely scenario.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Feige quotes of relevance:

Number One: "Yes, Skrulls have a big connection to Fantastic Four. So there are some contractual limitations about who can do what when it comes to Skrulls. Though that is not why we didn’t do Skrulls. There is already enough going on in this movie. "

Number Two: "Feige says the Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch rights situation is "unique" and very few other characters share this distinction. Coincidentally, The Avengers villains The Skrulls are also co-shared (by 20th Century Fox we assume), but the Marvel chief says this isn't the reason they didn't use them as the antagonists in the film. "Joss had a lot of story going on," he said. "The last thing we needed was shape-shifters and getting into that end of the world so it was never the intention of shape-shifters or Skrulls."

Number Three: "We do own them."

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    FTFY

At the moment, the only thing we know is that:

1) There was a child in Hunan province (Skye),
    2) An entire village and SHIELD strike force were wiped out protecting her,
    3) People kept looking for her after being rescued by SHIELD and she was secretly offloaded to an orphanage to protect her.

Skye looks Asian and everything else we know (including that SHIELD was "infiltrated" and people were looking for Skye so the agent dropped her off at the orphanage where she became a literal Mary Sue) is based on either legend or third-hand documentation.

We are meant to think it was likely HYDRA who was looking for her within SHIELD, as part of the infiltration, most likely.
    We are meant to think Skye is from China as a function of her looking Asian.

The Skrull idea is as likely (or moreso) because it totally undermines everything we've both been led to assume is true by the show as well as totally providing a hook for future Seasons, as well as tie into the overriding theme of Phase 2 -- the enemy is already among us. As well, aren't most of the Inhumans primarily normal-humanoid shaped (there are a couple, obvs, who are not)?

Though I do like the idea of Raina also being a Skrull...

25. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    But then why mention Hunan province specifically? If the story (minus the specific location) was meant to set up Skrulls, it could have been a village in Germany, or Brazil, or the Australian Outback... Whereas the Inhumans live right next to the Hunan Province in China. That's a huge coincidence. You're right, we don't have any information, but if there is no connection, then it's an intentional red herring. It would be like mentioning Skye was found on an island next to where Atlantis is located, but then forgoing any ties to the Sub Mariner or Marrina.

I missed your point about the Inhumans. I don't think Black Bolt has ever been seen without his mask on. Medusa could be Skye's mother with red hair. Karnak looks like he could be Raina's brother, and has more of the "Tibetian/Nepalese" look. Jockjaw is well, he's just Lockjaw.

That's why it makes even more sense to me. I don't think we the audience was supposed to think that Skye was from China, but that's where the "last stand/final battle" took place. Again, to me, it makes sense that this would occur right across the border from the Inhuman's secret city.

The only other connection to "monsters from the Hunan Provice in China" would be Fin Fang Foom, but as awesome as he is, I don't think 'ole purple shorts is going to be making an appearance:

[​IMG]