main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion TCW & Rebels Now Officially Canon, EU Not Canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    Now we all slowly realise what a mess that "Lucas Canon Cardboardhouse" realy was.

Shaak Ti dead or alive?

Nobody knows.

[​IMG]

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    To be fair, nobody really knew before.

rdhight, K'Kruhk and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    She will be the omnipresent bogeyman that mommy and daddy imperials tell their little imperial kids about.

"Behave! Or the Shaakti will get you!"

4. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Here's where the origins of her name come in handy.

AkashKedavra_93 and purplerain like this.
  5. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    QuangoFett Now that's interesting. I had no idea.

But now that I know that, it's interesting to note that it's from Indian mythology... and of course, Ahsoka is but one transposition away from being the name of an ancient Indian emperor.

I wonder if that was coincidental, or if they were going for a theme there? Roshti sounds kinda like it could be an Indian name too... dunno about Ashla and the like.

Makes me wonder does LFL develop species-specific conventions for naming of characters, i.e. "a character of species x should have a name that sounds kinda like this, on the other hand a character of species y would never have a name like that, theirs are more like this".

6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012

Schrodinger's Togruta

7. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Roshti is just a Swiss form of hash browns. No idea about Ashla.

Another Indian emperor was the first person that came to mind when I heard of Zeb. If he runs into a certain Mon Calamari admiral...

The Indian theme is common throughout SW, not just among the Togrutas. Shmi Skywalker is almost certainly named after the Hindu goddess Lakshmi. A certain, now "Legendary", great-granddaughter of hers seems to have a name derived from another Dharmic religion.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Indian and Asian themes are huge in SW particularly for naming.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

10. SeinEwigerSchatten

May 10, 2013
    Thanks to Sheldon, everybody knows Shrodinger knowadays. o_O

[​IMG]

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  11. SeinEwigerSchatten

May 10, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Erwin Schrödinger

[​IMG]
    Penny cloned together with schrödingers cat.

Sheldon, pleased with the result of the cloning.
    [​IMG]

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    This was inevitable, the amount of fans who have seen the movies and TCW outnumbers the graphic novel and comic fans by a lot. This makes it easier for newer fans to jump on board. Watch 6 films and TCW,(and Rebels) and you're set.

At the same time, doesn't mean you still can't enjoy the books you've read in the past. Just because they aren't canon doesn't mean they aren't good. The DC Nu52 just retconned Batman Year One, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory but that doesn't take away from me enjoying them.

purplerain likes this.
  13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think she was killed by Anakin from behind, because of the vision in TCW. Some might bring up the deleted scene of Grievous killing her in a similar manner to that, but that deleted scene was already non-canon, awhile ago (sure does not make sense if it was considered canon, because of how Anakin and Obiwan representation of their adventure in that ship and encounter with Grievous).

14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I was just thinking of the issue of names given to characters in EU material: Is now character names from EU material not considered canon anymore, which would mean these characters revert back to nameless ones or get their old nicknames if they had any (like many of the Mos Eisley cantina denizens), or does the names given to them in the EU stand despite the non-canonization of the material itself?

15. Forge'd

Forge'd Jedi Knight

Jan 20, 2014
    The fact that there is a deleted scene showing this (skip to 01:32)...

...adds credence, I think.

16. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I believe the Clone Wars actually re-canonizes a lot of place names mentioned in passing, so it seems reasonable to think that many more old names will survive their trip out of the canon and back. But when they leave and come back, they some back as "red links." All the information and meaning that used to be attached to that name is really gone.

So if a Rebels character says, "You remind me of a girl I met on Byss," the total information we know about Byss is now:

Byss is a planet where Kanan once met a girl who reminded him of Hera.

The old EU information about Byss doesn't come back along with the name.

TaradosGon and Convor like this.
  17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think some characters might be used from the EU, but will be given completely different back stories and subtle changes to their names. For example, Mara Jade might appear in Rebels, but she may no longer be force sensitive.

Or the fact Kanan looks remarkably similar to Kyle Katarn, but has a different name and origin.

Perfect example is Darth Bane. Appearance has been radically changed for TCW.

TaradosGon likes this.
  18. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013

Not to mention the scene of her death by Grievous' hand is also an alternate first meeting between Anakin/Obi-Wan and Grievous aboard the Invisible Hand. How that scene could be considered Canon in any way is beyond me.

19. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah it seems like, until further notice, names only given in the EU should be looked at as subject to change. They already changed the name of Korriban and one could argue that is much more important than the name of Momaw Nadon and Dr. Evazan.

20. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ The Korriban thing was merely down to Lucas' random whims and wrong thinking attitude. I can see them changing certain characters if they have something interesting to do with them, but I can't see them just randomly changing names the way Lucas did.

21. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I still don't understand why people give Lucas such grief about changing things around and retconning certain EU elements. If they have such a problem with it they should have stopped reading the EU as soon as it was common knowledge that the books and comics was a lesser form of canon than what Lucas did and could get overwritten at any time.

22. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The EU was never cannon.

23. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    There is nothing wrong with Lucas changing the things in his story. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the EU either, but to get so upset about name changes and other things is just silly. Its still the same damn story in the end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If you're going to change something, please try to have a legitimate reason to have that change. Possibly getting two worlds mixed up because they sound similar (which they don't. Never mind that they both look completely different) is not a valid reason.

25. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The good thing is, we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.