main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Shouldn't the 'Now in Theaters' part of the subject title be taken off by now?

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Hey! You don't mess with the Zohan Spider-Man 2!

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    It's in Home Theaters and Theater Rooms.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, I just caught the movie version of All Star Superman which I believe just about everyone said I should read. :p

It just makes me more mad that if WB Animation can make something like this -- even with the changes to the original story (which, yes, didn't have killing) -- which was like 42759234854% more hopeful and optimistic about Superman than MoS was.

C'mon, son...

5. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I'm definitely in the minority here, but I really, really liked Man of Steel. I know people are upset that it wasn't full of wonder and joy and optimism, but I really liked what Snyder and Nolan did with it. I actually felt very underwhelmed the first time I saw it at the midnight showing, but the second time I realized a lot of moments really stuck with me and I ended up just loving it. I loved Zimmer's score and I really loved the feel of the film, not to mention I thought all of the actors did great. Really liked Michael Shannon as Zod. For me, it wasn't too dark at all. This movie feels so damn somber, and I love that. But it never felt dark to me. I thought Cavill's portrayal was emotional and it was a Superman put in an origin where you don't really feel the "ba dada DA!" heroism right away, and I was OK with that. Hell, I thought Superman killing Zod was pretty shocking, and I'm glad Snyder had the balls to do that. This is coming from someone who always enjoyed Superman, too. This may all be just because I never cared for the Reeves/Donner movies. Far too hammy for me, thank you.

6. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Have you noticed that on the promotional posters and the DVD/Blu-ray cover art, the shield on his suit doesn't have a background? Maybe it's the fault of the muted yellow they went with in the film that even they themselves realised it totally looks better without it.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    OMG yes! I was about to start a thread on that very topic.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I felt vindicated by this, you see, because I've always thought Superman has such an ugly costume. Putting all primary colours together makes babies cry and puppies die. If you have any human decency you will not do it. Children are the future.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not uncommon for the S shield to have a black background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd doubt they think it looks better without it. More like there was a promotional bit to make it more distinct from the previous series. KC was a big deal back Burton and Peters were trying to get the films going again. At one point, it was considered for the original costume during the first act. Before all the nonsense that Peters wanted kicked in.

[​IMG]

Had the film been made, I'd wager that the logo would have looked like that for the promotional posters.

10. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm not talking about the movie logo. I'm talking about the emblem on his actual suit. It's been photoshopped to have no background for the DVD box.

[​IMG]

While in the film of course it has a yellow-ish background. If they didn't think it looks better like this, why change it at all? The normal thing to do would be to show him as he actually appears in the film.

[​IMG]

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm with this guy except for the part about not liking the (first two) Reeve films. They are excellent if a bit dated, and an inextricable part of my youth. The balance of this post I wholeheartedly concur with! I'll even go one further: Man of Steel is an unparalleled masterpiece, IMO. There isn't a single scene, a beat, a line of dialogue or a concept that does not work. I realize I'm in the minority here as well, but I feel that one day, time will bring opinion around on our side.

Jedi Merkurian and Saintheart like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Welcome back, you old fanboy you!

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Ah, well, I'm not sure. It's not the first time I've seen theatrical and DVD posters photoshopped.

[​IMG]

In this international version of the "Highlander Endgame" theatrical poster, you can see Christopher Lambert's fingers are not wrapped around the hand grip of his katana.

[​IMG]

While the VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray version has a different head shot for Lambert which is from another film and doesn't even look like he does in the final film. Your guess is as good as mine as to why it was done for either set. I suspect with MOS, it might be more that someone screwed up and it wasn't caught.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No I'd say for the posters/DVD cover the red is more striking if it doesn't have the yellow to interrupt it.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Honestly the color loss just looks like a quirk of the lighting angle.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Anyone think that Synder will change the Superman suit for Batman v. Superman?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I was more hoping to change the Snyder suit... :(

But I don't think we'll see a suit change -- I think we'll stick with the dour, drab, muted colors. Flash will be maroon.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I doubt Snyder will change Superman's suit, but I hope so. It definitely needs more color around the mid-section. I was hoping it would be similar to Jim Lee's New52 suit.

However, I am looking forward to see the new Batsuit since Kevin Smith hugged Snyder over it. I hope the suit is mostly a charcoal grey and a black bat logo on the chest. I also wonder if Wonder Woman will get pants.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They have confirmed minor changes will be made to the costume for MoS2.

And the new 52 suit is equal parts lovely and ugly.

Penguinator likes this.
  20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    In the daylight of the Smallville sequence the MoS looks very bright blue-and-red, but in general I do agree that the colors of the suit are muted and should be more vibrant in the sequel. I don't consider that a "flaw" in the film, just a personal preference since as a visual artist I tend to prefer bright, rich color.

I also agree it needs more color around the midsection -- either redden the "belt" to match New52, or add more gold to make it stand out. I have a MoS action figure staring at me as I type this, and I'm tempted to take some craft paint to it to see what possibilities can be spun.

21. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here's a pic of someone that did it.

[​IMG]

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Lovely when Capullo or Burnham draw it, ugly the other 95% of the time?

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everything in the movie was so garish looking that I'm fairly certain everyone would double over and seize up if Supe's suit was bright blue.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Capullo makes it shine, but I would more take exception with the high collar, and the black S on the cape. The cape, as evidenced from Superman TAS, through Justice League and to Man of Steel, is perfectly fine and iconic as purely red rather than with an "S" on the back.