main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    The consensus thus far appears to be for an actual ASG, which as pointed out coming at the end of the season would give eliminated playoff teams something to do if they didn't want to get a jump on offseason plots.

Another thought that came up in a recent conversation: I believe I've traditionally announced free agent acquisitions from non-ELL teams where people are pulling comparative nobodies from teams. It occurs to me that since there's no player vs. player competition like for free agents, there's no reason for me to do this. What would people think of me removing myself from that process?

2. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Will it still be a midweek (Wednesday, July 2nd) posting happening between week 9 and the Conference Semi-finals? Or will it be the week between (Sunday, July 7th) week 9 and the Conference Semi-finals?

Sent from a Galaxy far away via my comlink

3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I think I would do midweek. When and where would be the question. We could go for an NFL-style approach of between Conference Finals and championship game. They could take place in conjunction with the Galactic Cup Final, reducing the need to find a different venue. Also, if we wanted to replicate reality, there would be less players from championship teams who would sit out if we did it earlier. Then again, either of the other two weeks would punctuate the offseason with more dispersed action. I think we should choose the option that will give the game the most meaning to us, rather than the most realism.

Jedi Gunny, sorry, didn't reply to your earlier thought about further awards! I hesitate to throw too many awards into the fray at this point in time. I kind of don't want award fatigue on the part of everyone--but is there interest in expanding awards? On that note, do people feel there is enough difference between Comeback Player of the Year and the Zumtak? I could easily see CPotY being rolled up into the Zumtak (which, honestly, was a little tough to get nominations for last year--but people had very clear nominations for CPotY).

4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The main reason I am not liking this end of the season All Star Game is if it is played before the cup and my team by some miracle got that far I would not be playing my players. Now I would have the Cup Game to look forward to and write about but I'd be left out of the All Star Game. Just my two cents.

As for awards I do not think we should add more. I like that there are few and it took me so long to win some meaningful ones. What's the fun/challenge if we make so many that everyone gets one? This isnt' little league, it's the ELL. I'd be happy to roll the two mentioned above together.

5. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    But that's what adds to the intrigue of the ASG... will players who are still in contention play the game? Who will replace them if they don't? What consequences will there be if they do?

Its all about the Story and appeasing the elusive limmie god of random numbers :D

6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I like keeping the Zumtak and the CPoY awards separate, because one is designated for just players, and the other can go to anyone. Putting them together seems ludicrous at that point with what we have already put together for those awards.

Runjedirun and CPL_Macja like this.
  7. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    [​IMG]

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    As for the ASG, I was actually assuming that "end-of-season" meant "after the Final", so that 1) everybody gets to play, and we don't have players on teams still in the playoffs sitting out, and 2) there's no need to insert an extra week into the season, because that extra week is what complicates the LFL schedule, no matter whether it's midseason or during the playoffs, because I have to move the start of the season around to make sure that both Finals take place on the same day, and there's no reasonable justification for the LFL taking a week off for another league's ASG.

Runjedirun likes this.
  9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Well I just gave away the first part of the intrigue if they were my players :p I have no idea how consequences could be a factor. How could you penalize a player or organization for protecting their assets when it comes to winning a title?

I only agreed to making the awards one because it was mentioned one of them didn't get many nominees.

10. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    I wouldn't mind ditching the Zumtak and sticking with the CPoY award. I know, breaks my heart, but the Zumtak essentially states: The Zumtak Award recognizes dedication and perseverance to the sport of limmie.

Nothing more dedicated than a player who fights hard to make it back to the top. This is the award when I follow football that I really feel is pretty darn cool. Granted, a PC like Lilly Vehn who is a scout, wouldn't be winning any awards, but that's fine with me.

As far as the ASG Game is concerned, there's two incredibly valid points here about when to hold the event. Before the Cup adds a boatload of intrigue. After the Cup could involve a nice ending to another season. Do players skip the event to focus on the real game? Ooooh...

Things to think about....

11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Having an end-of-season ASG without all nominated players seems like a cop-out IMO. I'd rather have all players there rather than only having ten teams represented.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    And I would prefer keeping both the Zumtak and CPoY, because the Zumtak is for anyone, not just players, and it can also serve as a kind of "lifetime achievement award". CPoY specifically is for coming back from adversity in previous seasons, and isn't for non-players or long-term accomplishments. Each award serves a different purpose.

Jedi Gunny and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Vizsla working for the Miners. Now that has more potential to break this game than anything else we have ever done. :p

[​IMG]

Vehn, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    And now Trieste has thrown down the gauntlet.

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    With Vizsla or with Miners-Storm Lovefest XI? :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Well, those, plus your judicious use of ABBA (I mean, who expected they would be used at some point?), and then me realizing that the Miners seemingly have some sort of respect for everyone except the Senators. :(

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    There is inherent, if begrudging, respect in the most-played rivalry of the Elite League in the Silver Age. Just you wait. ;)

18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Nice opening, Trieste. I'll see what I can do with it either tomorrow or Friday.

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Glad you liked it. I was particularly pleased with it so good to know that it had a nice effect! :)

20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Maybe the power conferences just need to do better when all the chips are down in the playoffs. ;) Trieste

jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Touche! Though Kerry would say it's a crime to eliminate one of them by default before the Quarterfinals even happen. She'd much be preferred one be guaranteed a trip to the Semifinals. :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'm not going to do something like that until CorTech finally wins a league title. Then we'll talk.

But I have been looking at ways to revamp the playoff structure. No one ever gave me any input on it until now.

23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    How about the BCS?

Wait, no, that's a terrible idea. Forget I ever said that. :p

Jedi Gunny and Trieste like this.
  24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    For those of us that have planets new to the ELL since the college structure was set up. Is there anyway to get a college from our planet into the structure? Because without one, it really doesn't matter to me.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Sure, just name the school. Easiest way to do that would be to submit a player for the draft pool from your new school.