main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyone looking for a weekly examination of Ep. 7 actors, John Boyega has a supporting role on "24" this season. In my opinion, he seems to emote convincingly. Also it's "24" so it's quite logical he's going to get shot in about 6 more episodes or so. Or he'll team up with Jack and then get shot. Anyway, he's in it, and Jack Bauer is too.

Also I want a Star Wars TV espionage show spin-off that chronicles a solid day on Courscant wherein the lead protagonist, either Jack Bauer or Kyle Katarn or both, have to stop a terrorist attack on the Senate. "Galactic Standard Time".

2. Darth_Leeda

Darth_Leeda Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Question: Does anyone know if they are making ALL the EU stuff before 4/7/14 (the April EU/Canon announcement) into "Legends"? (i.e., it would have to be viewed as alternate SW reality as some of the comics that have been written).

I'm hoping they'll try to include most of it, and only exclude the stuff that directly conflicts the new canon of the new films, etc.

The Darth Bane books were some of the best I've ever read, and certainly the rule of two would make sense. Not to mention the Plagueis book.

Any info would be appreciated.

-DL

3. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Everything is Legends now except for TCW, Rebels and the movies. Games are yet to be clarified.

Bane and Plagueis' novels are Legends™

4. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    4/1/14 isn't the cutoff. Below is a list of when the new canon will start in each medium. Nothing released before the following items will be part of the new continuity except the six live action theatrical films, the six seasons of TCW and its theatrical film, and the comic miniseries Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir.

Junior Novels? Rebels: Ezra's Gamble (August 5, 2014)
    Adult Novels? A New Dawn (September 2, 2014)
    Television shows? Rebels (Fall 2014)
    Comics? Unknown title (2015)
    Video Games? Battlefront (Summer 2015)
    Theatrical films? Episode VII (December 18, 2015)
    Short stories? Unknown
    Audio dramas? Uhh... I don't think anyone makes those anymore.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I mourn the audio dramas.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It's all out.

7. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    I wouldn't call it a huge loss. We only ever had two original audio dramas: The Mixed-Up Droid and Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell. And the more recent of the two was released in 1995. The rest were just adaptations.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    But they were awesome.

Dawud786 and DelRiego like this.
  9. Darth_Leeda

Darth_Leeda Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002

Hmmm.. But wouldn't it be possible to adopt one of the now 'legends' novels into the canon if it was something they wanted to tie into a film or the new canon? I hope so...

(e.g., the clone wars had Darth Bane's ghost (of course it looked nothing like bane - he was all in some kind of metal armor), and Darth Bane came from EU. Also, rule of 2 is in ROTS, and is explained in Bane books.)

-DL

10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I've not heard them, but I'd love if actual Star Wars audio drama was a thing. Give the license to Big Finish or something, it'd be fabulous.

Dante1120 likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Episode IX should be "Blood of the Force"

12. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    We should all hope these films start losing money at some point, otherwise Episode XXII could be Electic Boogaloo.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You say that like it's a bad thing. I'm already in line for that one!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've been hoping Star Wars would fail for the past decade.

15. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    That one will probably be straight-to-DVD (straight-to-holodisk by that point?)

16. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Isn't Bane's ghost in TCW supposed to actually be some kind of elaborate dark side illusion? There's little reason it should look exactly like Bane did when he died.

17. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Darth Bane came from George Lucas.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    True, but Bane's character was significantly fleshed out in the EU, and it's my opinion that those stories should be kept.

19. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I... I don't hate it. Inhuman movements, Lovecraft-tentacles, and a mocking mockery of the human visage, all the while throwing force lighting. It even looks like it could be attractive in an uncanny way, when not pulling a strange and warped expression.

I haven't actually read any of the stories Abeloth turns up in yet, mind, but that picture actually appeals to my creative and horror-loving side. I am a big vampire/supernatural fiction buff after all. Is Abeloth effectively an unknowable horror from the darkest depths of [insert foreboding location]?

As for Mortis, it came across as pointless to me as they forgot their experiences there afterwards. Not that they had much choice, after all that happened. Sure it was interesting to watch... but nah, not my favorite episodes. I still very much like the mysteries of the Force, and at this point its rapidly losing its mystery, especially after the Netflix episodes. I'm actually kind of glad they never got a dvd release, as that somehow makes them feel more official, and I could live without the major plot points of both arcs.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Daley's ADs weren't "just" adaptations. [face_plain]

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No they didn't.

Darkslayer and Dawud786 like this.
  22. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    ...didn't they? I'm certain that none of them remembers Anakin's little Vader phase, or at least he doesn't.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Their experiences were referred to in a Season 6 episode.

24. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    Huh. Fair enough, must just have been Anakin's little episode that was erased. I figured they believed it a dream, but ah well.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They remember the first episode but not the last two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.