main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  2. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    As someone who's always championed the cause of the visual (television/movie) media of the Star Wars universe, I must admit that I'm at a crossroads when it comes to my feelings about the micro-series. My feelings have always separated the series from what is considered to be EU and included it in my own "official' canon. Granted, I still haven't seen anything on screen that changes my thoughts on this, but given the recent "Story group" definitions of what is and isn't canon, I can't help but think my opinion will be forcibly changed by events in future works. I really hope it's not because I still consider the GT series to be among the greatest Star Wars works, but if it is, it is. I REALLY hope we see Durge at some point however....

darthscott3457 likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i recently caught up on all the cg clone wars show and it was great. i also finally saw the micro series and i loved it as well. i voted for the 2008 series because of the character development, the length of the series and the yoda arc.

AshiusX likes this.
  4. Darth_Kondorr

Darth_Kondorr Jedi Master

Sep 21, 2002
    They can both be watched as if in one continuity... so I do not vote... cause I watch em both!

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    But the micro-series isn't canon :p

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just fyi, don't let the story group decide what you do and don't consider canon. Technically KOTOR isn't canon, but I loved it, so for it will be always be Star Wars. This is no slight on the story group, but I believe canon is subjective to each individual fan. Take Dark Empire for example - probably my least favorite Star Wars story because I don't like the cloned Sidious concept, and it has never been in my canon. A good idea for an infinities story, but not something I really agreed with, no matter how well it may have been executed (I have never actually read it but I do know the big story points). But I know there are plenty of people who enjoy it, and if you do, more power to you, put it in your personal canon! To me, this is what makes the Star Wars EU so much fun - the ability to pick and choose what we want to add to George's legendary saga.

Oh, and on topic: The one positive of the Clone Wars ending early is that it and the microseries can coexist - I consider the microseries as a sort of bookend to TCW. The good thing about the microseries is that the montages allow you to throw whatever series you want in there - for me, obviously Clone Wars, but I also like to assume Shatterpoint, Dark Rendezvous, and others happened as well.

Lol now I want to watch the microseries again.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I know that a lot of people would agree with you. For me, the feeling of knowing that future works won't connect to the dead ones is too powerful to be able to keep up the "belief." I don't want the dissonance of watching an Episode VII that steamrolls, say, the Thrawn books and have to try and convince myself, "It happened it happened it happened...."

The counterargument I would make, that you should let the story group decide what you do and don't consider canon, is based on the objective aspect of canon -- the fact that future works are obliged to link up with it. What you consider to have happened in your own head is your business, and I'm not saying I insist you admit KOTOR didn't happen; if it's canon to you, that's fine. But for me, and I think for many people, the knowledge that the Star Wars creators consider the Story Group to be the final say is an objective fact, and it's easier to go with the flow than to try to make yourself "believe" in dead, steamrolled works.

Oh, and uh, TCW > microseries!

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It also isn't bad, so there's that.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Micro-series is terrible IMO

Werebazs likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Question: Who is even in the story group?

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A bunch of people who regularly buy Lucas drinks.

"I've got an idea of how we can retcon this part and make it better!"

"Nice one, George. Have another glass of scotch."

12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I have a feeling Filoni is a member. Which is why Star Wars as a franchise is getting rebranded as "Ahsoka and Friends."

Seriously though, one thing I do thing TCW handled better was Ventress. I liked her in the Micro series, but TCW with her more lively voice truly make her a likable villain.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not to mention eyeballs.

I agree, TCW did handle her better. TCW made me the hard-core fan of hers that I am now.

I've got a Ventress Christmas ornament but it's microseries Ventress. I haven't been able to find a TCW one.

rdhight and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I think TCW Ventress is probably the best example of a neither-good-nor-evil character in all of SW canon. Micro series Ventress was cool but just another evil character.

AshiusX, Cevan, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I'm not crazed to see the further adventures of all TCW's bounty hunters, clones, Jedi and so on, but it seems like Ventress is a great resource that could be used to make a unique bridge between the trilogies. You have this prequel-era character, who's been a hissing caricature at times, who turned surprisingly relatable in her final appearance. The death of the micro-series took out her origin story, or at least her recruitment story. Her main contact with the villains was through Dooku and Grievous, both now dead. Now she has a chance to do more OT-era things -- hiding her Force powers, constructing a new lightsaber in secret, conforming to Imperial law, earning a living on crumbling Outer Rim planets -- but things we associate more with the good guys and Rebellion.

The LU would probably have just given us "Angry Ventress slashes unsuccessfully at good guys with her red sabers, Parts 3-10,000." Her trajectory would have continued forever. That could still happen, but if she falls into the hands of a good writer now, she could end up having a fascinating arc.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    But I liked having another evil character...evil is everywhere! I will say Ventress was awesome in both series.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like her wherever she shows up, but if I had to pick, I'd say TCW for her.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I still maintain SW is grey and don't buy this forced black/white nonsense. From what I've seen I'd say TCW but that isn't say much at all. Ventress was like the only interesting female character in TCW for me but I still don't like the Nightsisters' manner towards men.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

You.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I like Ventress in the micro series a lot also, and Star Wars is probably the only story I don't care about getting grey characters in, but my above statement still stands.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ventress wasn't exactly grey in the Republic comics, but she was a lot more three-dimensional than in the micro-series. TCW actually handled her really well, IMO, and in a pretty consistent manner with both the micro series and the comics. Basically, pre-Nightsisters Asajj drew most of her characterization from the MS, while post-Nightsisters took a good amount of cues from Republic.

But grey characters? Hell, Anakin is the definition of grey in SW. Sure, when he's bad he's really bad, but when he's good he's pretty damn good, especially in TCW and the MS. I love that sort of duality in a character, and Ventress has always fit right into that spectrum.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Todd the Jedi you have an interesting point about Anakin, but I think he goes back and forth between extremes whereas Ventress finds a comfortable spot in the middle and stays there.

23. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I posted earlier in this thread saying how I preferred the microseries. Having seen all of TCW in chronological order, I repent. TCW is better than the microseries, especially after about S3 or so.

24. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Question: Is it me, or was Geneal Grievous seriously downgraded in power from the micro-series to TCW? He goes from kicking around whole squads of Jedi (including Shaak-ti and Ki-Adi-Mundi) in the micro-series to almost being defeated by Kit Fisto alone in TCW (and Kit Fisto never seemed overwhelmed or threatened, he was having fun as always).

25. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Tbh, 2003 micro-series Grievous was unrealistic, a droid like that shouldn't be that powerful. TCW made him more realistic as RotS suggested.

AshiusX likes this.