main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit If you could only ever read 1 SW comic series...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Orman Tagge, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Which would it be?

The biggies, as I see it, are:

Tales of the Jedi
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Star Wars (Marvel)
    Republic
    Dark Times
    Purge
    Empire
    Star Wars (Dark Horse - ongoing)
    Rebellion
    Dark Empire Trilogy
    Crimson Empire Trilogy
    Legacy

And of course, you're free to mention mini-series, stand-alones, etc.

For me, it's either Tales of the Jedi, which I think provides a great backstory for the OT without stepping on the toes of the PT or ruining any of the mysticism that surrounds the Jedi and Sith, or Republic, because Quinlan Vos' arc is unbelievable. Republic is, in my opinion, more inconsistent than Tales, but at it's best, it's better. That being said, it reduces the impact of the prequels a bit because you wonder why George told some of the least interesting stories happening during that time...

Honorable mentions, of course, to KOTOR, which I love but feel ended poorly (it could've stopped at the second omnibus), the Marvel Star Wars run, which is great fun but just utterly ridiculous, and Dark Empire, which stands alone wonderfully but I feel clashes a bit with the usual Star Wars tone, and undoes most of the OT. Legacy I like, but I really don't care for the Yuuzhan Vong, nor the fact that it was wrapped up so anticlimactically (NO FINAL DUEL WITH KRAYT WHAT IS THIS). Finally, I feel like the often criticized "Star Wood", which is ongoing...is actually quite good. Heresy, I know, but I think it encapsulates the flavor of the OT extremely well, puts something new but still classic feeling into the Saga, and is just a wonderful note for Dark Horse to go out on. I just hope they can resolve it all in time.

2. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    hard pressed to decide between KOTOR and Legacy.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I pick XWRS just because the OP didn't include it and that offends me. :p

Sarge, Riv_Shiel, TrandoJedi and 5 others like this.
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The current The Star Wars is the only one that has really caught my eye. Can't wait for a collected volume to release.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    How could there ever have been a fandom without the might of the wooden battleship?

[​IMG]

But, nah, Farfalla and Jedi vs Sith aside, I'd have to pick between TOTJ, KOTOR and Dark Empire. Of course, series like Republic, Dark Times and Legacy are all also very memorable, but it's definitely one of those first three that's stuck with me the most. If I had to pick between them, hmm... difficult, very difficult. I prefer KOTOR the most of the three, but without TOTJ, there'd have been no KOTOR anyway, so... between TOTJ and DE...

I'm actually going to say DE. If I could literally only read one story, although I prefer TOTJ, it'd just leave me wanting more, and that'd leave me frustrated. But DE is more self-contained, so I'd probably enjoy that as the "one and only" (though I only mean DE1).

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A tough decision for me between Dark Times and KOTOR. Both have great characters and stories that feel very personal.

7. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I have really enjoyed most of Dark Horse's series so it would be hard to pick just one. I would probably end up picking KOTOR, as I really liked the characters of Zayne Carrick and Gryph. I also liked seeing what Darth Malak, Carth Onasi and Saul Karath were like before the events of the games.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison. The end.

9. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    KOTOR & Legacy

10. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    *double posted*

11. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    I'm not familiar with that?

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I would pick the original Dark Horse Star Wars run because it went up to 115 issues ;)

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Here you go.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    LEGACY.

--Adm. Nick

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Legacy or KOTOR.

16. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    OH DUH SORRY ABOUT THAT. I haven't actually read it but DH's new series has convinced me to, just with all the Rogue Squadron antics.

17. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Legacy II

18. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Dark Empire

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If ships were like that and whatever the heck they were in TOTJ, how did they ever get so advanced in KOTOR? Okay, a thousand years of on and off war probably didn't help but seriously?
    Also, DE works.

20. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Even for as much as I always say that Legacy is tops when it comes to world building, KOTOR has it beat in terms of writing and characterization so I'd have to go with that.

21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Rogue Squadron.

22. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't think those ships could be entirely mostly wooden, or else they wouldn't fly. So it could just be a stylistic aspect that was popular with that eras military. Maybe it was a result of a slight scarcity of the typical ship building material and so they combined the with wood in order to conserve resources and still have a capable warship.

Edit: if I could only read one comic series it would have to be KOTOR. By far it had the best characters of any of the comics I read -- and some of my favorite in Star Wars as a whole. It also had a fantastic story.

23. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Legacy.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    DARK EMPIRE

Zorrixor, Nobody145 and Starkeiller like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured Farfalla was rich enough to afford to turn relatively normal vessels into those things, by adding extra decoration.

The Tofs in Marvel also favoured the "make it look like a sailing ship" school of design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.