main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Kanto wait to Go catch 'em all: Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Mar 4, 2007.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree with the post-game stuff. Compared to the Black & White games X & Y are certainly lacking. They don't make the Elite Four harder after you first defeat them & the daily battle with the rival is not particularly difficult. There also isn't really a place where you can go and battle level 60+ Pokémon to help you level up faster.

I like the Training aspect, far easier to boost the stats you want by shooting balloons and punching bags than by having to go out and find specific Pokémon to battle.

2. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Finally captured Zygarde and Zapdos. Slowly accumulating starters from all generations and slowly hatching lots of Eevees. Can't be bothered to figure out the Masuda method.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I have Moltres on Y. It's hard to get more legendaries through trade though since everyone wants another one on exchange

4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There is a new event for those living in the UK.
    Go to any GAME store & they will give you a code to use in-game to get a Pokémon. In Y you get an Electabuzz & in X you get Magmar.

5. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    I discovered yesterday when I walked in to one of my local game stores that this is surprisingly not a UK exclusive event. It is available here in Australia too.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

[face_dancing]

And now the conundrum. Which version to get?

7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    OH nooo, the addiction is going to happen all over again! Getting Ruby because.....I don't know.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Both of course. Gotta catch them all after all. ;)

Looking forward to these in November, haven't had a remake for a while. It'll be interesting to see how they integrate the Emerald upgrades (Battle Frontier) in the sixth generation since XY was a bit lacking in that department.

9. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    I suppose I could get Omega Ruby to stay consistent.

But when FR/LG and HG/SS first came out that was a whole other story. To put it precisely:

My first Gen I: Blue=Fire Red
    My first Gen II: Silver=Heart Gold

So maybe since Ruby was my first Gen III, I should get Aqua Sapphire?

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I wasn't too into these games, but damn if they didn't pick awesome remake titles. :D Either way, I think it's cool that they're getting the remake treatment same as gens 1 and 2.

11. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    So I'm not overly familiar with the remakes. Will it just be the original game updated to have the same general look and feel as X/Y?

12. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    We'll probably find out more with this Sunday's Pokemon TV show or perhaps the May 15 issue of CoroCoro Magazine, but so far we know that, plot-wise and location wise, it's gonna be a full on revisiting of Hoenn.

But it likely will use the same engine as X/Y, hence why release date being so soon.

13. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Mostly it'll be a remake of the original games, updated to modern standards. The more interesting thing is how much extra they'll add in- usually the extras from the third version, as well as a few other things (extra legendaries, maybe a new area to explore). They'll probably just follow Emerald's combined storyline, but might be interesting if they brought back the original Ruby and Sapphire's slightly different plotlines, but probably not.

They'll probably announce more news soon, and Nintendo's E3 Direct broadcast will probably have more details too. Hm, wonder if they'll come up with new 3DS or 2DS for these games too.

14. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    The three Regis that I currently have in my X version came from my original Ruby file.

In a way, it's kinda surreal to transfer them back into Hoenn in OR/AS (Still not sure which one I want), like a weird timeloop.

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I hope they do full 3D remakes. I was excited to have a Pokemon game on the 3DS as they advertised it as having 3D but it was mostly just 2D. Apart from the battles I don't think they actually did anything in 3D, which was really disappointing. I'll be picking up Omega Ruby though. That cover looks awesome and I like Fire types.

16. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Except that...you know...Groudon is not a fire type...

I love how that misconception of Groudon being Fire continues to this day.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I thought the name made it obvious it was a Ground type.

I'm not sure how to feel about these. Since I plan to get all Pokémon (especially the legendaries) at some point I would like to get them just to be able to Bank the ones I need. Aside from that I don't see the point in replaying the same game but with better graphics and pay full price. It will have fewer Pokémon than X & Y even if it is compatible

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I guessed Fire type because the video I saw about it said the game was a kind of battle between a fire team and a water team. There's also the Sapphire cover which shows the Water Type Kyogr surrounded by water. With the Ruby cover showing Groudon surrounded by fire it just seemed obivous that Groudon would be Fire Type.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I entered myself into the May International Challenge event. Have to win as many matches as possible starting on the 16th until the 18th in order to get a ranking.

I've never tried before but I've spent a lot of time on training so I hope I can win a few matches. I doubt I'll do that well against the nerds who play it for 10+ hours a day and get the top EV spreads.

20. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Who here are pokedex completionists? (is that a word?)

My nephew has re-ignited my Pokemon obsession. I've taught him that it often pays to hold back evolutions for the purposes of learning moves quicker. I was also trying to help him get Zapdos to retire to the cave on Pokemon Y so he can capture him.

I am aiming to combine Pokemon from Fire Red all the way up to Black / White 2. Has anyone had experience in doing this? I know I can Google it, but I wanted personal accounts first...

I understand that going from Fire Red to Pearl (for example) can be done via an app on the Wii. Is it correct that the app on the Wii also provides a way to get Mew (outside of events)?

Any help or advice would be great :)

21. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Um, I'm not the best source, my Pokemon obsession has waned at the moment, but going from Fire Red to current should be possible. I've already heard of people planning to move Pokemon from Ruby/Sapphire to Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.

Basically, I think first you need an old DS- one with a GBA slot, to move a Pokemon from a GBA game (R/S/FR/LG/E) to a DS game (D/P/HG/SS/P). Then from there you need two DSes (doesn't matter what model) to move something from a fourth generation game to a fifth generation game (such as Black/White 2). And of course a 3DS/2DS is required for current generation (X/Y and soon OR/AS).

No Wii is required at any time, although I think the Wii had a storage app, where if you stored a 1000 Pokemon, you'd get a Mew (though never reached that far). That app might still be available, but not entirely sure. Online play for the Wii ended recently I think (the third-party company shut down their servers for the Wii and DS online play) but not sure about apps.

I've tried, but I've never quite had the obsession/dedication to come close to completing the Pokedex. Although it might be easier these days, in X/Y, with online trading these days. Not sure if those hard to get Legendaries are required either (the special events one).

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm a horrible Pokédex completionist. I generally wait until the tail end of the game to try and fill up my Pokédex, at which point I'm quickly burned out since it involves a lot of grinding and breeding. and when you have upwards of 700 Pokémon, well then that's just asking too much. :p

23. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    I havn't owned any of the games prior to Pokemon Y. My Pokedex is currently at 535 seen 470 obtained. Wonder trades and the GTS have been very helpful. I wish there was an easy way to obtain multiple Shiny Stones though...

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I haven't got a lot of Pokémon but my pokedex reads 523 in total. I've got almost all the starters, the main problem is legendaries

25. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I think it's because of the whole fire/water thing