main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Planets

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by jedi1952, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Hi, I have been looking around for information regarding planets in the GFFA.

What I am looking for is a planet (or moon) in the Outer Rim or beyond that has fertile farm land butting up against desert.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't know any off the top of my head that match that description, but I'm not good at remembering such things either. I find the SW RPG core rule book or the Essential Guide to Planets to be excellent for such things but then copies I used belonged to an ex so I don't have access to them any more. Now I use Wookieepedia many a times to find planets, which I don't think is as easy but it gets the job done.

HERE is a list of the Outer Rim Planets, but if that doesn't work for you or you can't find what you want, you can always do the old fanfic special.... make it up! :)

3. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    Thanks Mav, I did see that on Wookieepedia and do have it book marked. I have copies of some of the Essential Guides, but not that one. And Geek that I am I also own The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia. It is just so much to plow through. I think for now I will take your suggestion and just make up a planet since I already have in mind many of its characteristics and governing structure. Maybe I will get lucky and stumble across one. [face_whistling]

4. Sokolniki

Sokolniki Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2014
    If you need any help with details for a planet, I can imagine up some things for you to form a rough basis on. I've got plenty of practice on it through other ventures along with work I've been doing for my own fanfic here on the boards.

5. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    Thanks Sokolniki, I appreciate the offer. If I run into a block I sure will contact you. :)

6. Sokolniki

Sokolniki Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2014
    To change the topic a little, is there any catalogue of fan created planets that the creators have okay'd for use by other fanfic writers?

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If you read something and want to use something that another fanfic author created, you should PM them and ask, but there isn't a database for such things that I'm aware of, there isn't on here for sure.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe we should create a database, or at least a thread, for planets and other things that are fan created and their creators don't have any problem other using. A bit like Lovecraft's literary/letter circle.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'd be game for that. Just for entire fan-created planets, or also for fan-established details about existing (!) planets?

EDIT: Actually, wait, doesn't the SW Fanon Wiki have aspects of that already? Goodwood, TrakNar, do either of you know?

10. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman: The Fanon Wiki has many fan-created planets within its database, and anyone can go there to put up their own planet article. Here's an example of my own creation in this regard: Bad Alshir. You'll also find that I went and made articles for the solar system itself, the star, and other planets.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Were can you find Fanon Wiki?

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Goodwood, that is one extremely impressively detailed article. You never cease to amaze me! :)

The planet's name reminds me of all those places in Germany prefixed "Bad" because of their natural mineral baths (Bad Bevensen, Bad Harzburg, Bad Langensalza, etc.). Any inspiration there? (I see that "a few bodies of salty surface water" are among the planet's features...)

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Not in that sense, no. There are mentions of other planets in that system but the source eludes me at the moment; I know that the third world was dubbed Crass Alshir. Basically each planet carried the star's name as a sort of surname, with the given name being synonyms for "poor" since the system has little to recommend it. As for being able to write detailed articles, that's become pretty much second-nature to me. I spent four years as a Wookieepedian, with at least twenty Featured Articles and about as many Good Articles to my credit, though that was before the standards became much more stringent (for good or for ill). I've got many, many of my own articles on the Fanon Wiki, most of them having to do with the Republic Marines and its units in addition to those based on the fan continuity I've crafted. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my understanding there are many planets in SW who are just a name and nothing more and I was wondering if there existed a list over those?

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you, like me, would like to discuss your fanon creation before posting it on the Fanon Wiki, were do you do that? Or do we need to create some kind of 'World building' thread?

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Gamiel: Nope, no prior discussion or planning is required.

Simply write your planet article in wiki format. I point to that specific planet as an example because it is written up in the right format for Featured Article status on Star Wars Fanon.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think you misunderstood me, I want to do prior discussion and/or planning before I post something like that.

20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Okay. There are a couple of forums on the fanon wiki where you can hold such a discussion. What would you wish to discuss first, though? Star Wars Fanon is pretty much a repository of personal fanon, and as such you don't have to get approval from anyone about what you put in, so long as you don't "steal" from others' fanon without their consent. By default various fanon articles belong to their creators, though exceptions are often made by the use of free-edit or free-use banners atop such article pages.

The forums there now are pretty new, and have yet to really be used by the community, so I'm not sure how much feedback you'd get there. I'd certainly be willing to help out, though.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any planetary classification system for Star Wars? Like in Star Trek or Warhammer 40k?

22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, there are classes of atmosphere, such as Class I (freely breathable), Class II (breathable with gear), Class III (non-breathable but not requiring a hardsuit) and Class IV (non-breathable, hardsuit required). Wookieepedia would have more information under Atmosphere.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As a gand what do you think of this classification system that is clearly not meant for ammonia breathers?

Viridian-Maiden likes this.
  24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Um...since it was crafted by oxygen-breathers who are clearly in the majority, Gand has no problem with this. To him, all nitrogen/oxygen atmospheres are Type III.

Gamiel and Viridian-Maiden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.