main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Off-camera" events that you would have liked to see

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Polydroxol, May 1, 2014.

1. Polydroxol

Polydroxol Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2014
    Are there any implied or "off-camera" events that you wish had been included on screen in one of the movies? I think actually seeing General Grievous enter Coruscant and abduct Palaptine would have been great cinema and serve to provide more depth for the impressive space battle that followed.

Darth Dnej and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Dooku leaving the Order, his response to Qui-Gon's death. The actual carnage and effects of the Purge.

3. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    The clone wars actually happening. But I got that wish with the animated show.

4. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Mace, who once respected Dooku, finds out that he's now watching Jedi and a Senator die in the arena for his enjoyment. He checks with Yoda on the commlink: 20 minutes until the Clones will Attack. He orders in hundreds of Jedi to stand by for killin', then goes to have a word with the Count.

Vader, in his first mission as Vader, briefing the 501st before the attack on the Temple.

Tarkin and Vader in their Star Destroyer at the beginning of ANH, learning their new, more permissive rules of engagement from the holographic Emperor in a three-villain gloat-o-rama.

Bail and Yoda -- what do they talk about in that speeder after Yoda's last battle?

Chewbacca and Obi-Wan mentioning that they know each other by reputation, or knew some of the same people, from the last war. "I hope we know what we're doing this time."

The surface of Alderaan, T minus 30 seconds. Running, screaming, people trying to get on the radio and plead for their lives, Imperial facilities shown already evacuated, people rushing to anything that flies.

The Alliance high command before either of the Death Star attacks. The rebel leaders stare at each other, not believing that to issue this crazy order is actually their best course. "Are we really doing this? Yeah, we're ****ing doing it."

Luke returning with Vader's body. Does he show the corpse as proof of his victory? Does Leia want a moment to gloat/grieve over her real dad before they burn him? Do the rebels want to "quarantine" Luke after his visit to the heart of darkness? Or is it all a big secret?

Yes, I like impending doom!

(I know some of these would have totally wrecked the pacing/editing of great sequences, but maybe they'll be good book/animation moments in the future.)

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Dissolution of the Imperial Senate in SW/ANH.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I would love to see the Ground Battle of Coruscant.

7. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The only thing that I really want to see is Vader's reaction upon finding out that some guy named Skywalker destroyed the Death Star.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The comics had a go at showing his reaction - but it would have been interesting to have an "interquel" movie between ANH and TESB.

Darth Rycbar and Darth Dnej like this.
  9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The ROTJ novelization and deleted scenes had a bit where Moff Jerjerrod was ordered by the Emperor that if the Rebels ever got the upper hand in the battle, he was to target the DSII's superlaser on Endor, despite the cost of the Imperial forces on the forest moon's surface. I kinda would've liked to have seen that left in the final film, with it maybe being explained that in the chaos of the battle towards the end, he couldn't have had the opportunity to give the order to fire:

"Sir, we are receiving numerous reports of the Super Star Destroyer Executor destroyed, with all hands on board killed-"

"Sir, we have unconfirmed reports of the Emperor and Darth Vader dead-"

"Sir, Rebel starfighters have breached the surface of the Death Star and making their way towards the main reactor-"

"Alright that's it, aim the superlaser on En-"

*BOOM*

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That was a pretty good moment in the novel:

Commander Jerjerrod sat, brooding, in the control room of the Death Star, watching all about him crumble. Half of his crew were dead, wounded, or run off - where they hoped to find sanctuary was unclear, if not insane. The rest wandered ineffectually, or railed at the enemy ships, or fired their guns at all sectors, or shouted orders, or focussed desperately on a single task, as if that would save them. Or, like Jerjerrod, simply brooded.
    He couldn't fathom what he'd done wrong. He'd been patient, he'd been loyal, he'd been clever. he'd been hard. He was the commander of the greatest battle station ever built. Or, at least, almost built. He hated this Rebel Alliance now, with a child's hate, untempered. He'd loved it once - it had been the small by he could bully, the enraged baby animal he could torture. But the boy had grown up now; it knew how to fight back effectively. It had broken its bonds.
    Jerjerrod hated it now.
    Yet there seemed to be little he could do at this point. Except, of course, destroy Endor - he could do that. It was a small act, a token really - to incinerate something green and living, gratuitously, meanly, toward no end but that of wanton destruction. A small act, but deliciously satisfying.
    An aide ran up to him. "The Rebel fleet is closing, sir."
    "Concentrate all fire in that sector." he answered distractedly. A console on the far wall burst into flame.
    "The fighters in the superstructure are eluding our defense system, Commander. Shouldn't we-"
    "Flood sectors 304 and 138. That should slow them up." He arched his eyebrows at his aide.
    This made little sense to the aide, who had cause to wonder at the commander's grasp of the situation. "But sir ..."
    "What is the rotation factor to firing range on the Endor Moon?"
    The aide checked the compuscreen. "Point oh two to moon target, sir. Commander, the fleet-"
    "Accelerate rotation until moon is in range, and then fire on my mark."
    "Yes sir." The aide pulled a bank of switches. "Rotation accelerating. Point oh one to moon target. Sixty seconds to firing range. Sir, good-bye, sir." The aide saluted, put the firing switch in Jerjerrod's hand as another explosion shook the control room, and ran out of the door.
    Jerjerrod smiled calmly at the view-screen. Endor was starting to come out of the Death Star's eclipse. He fondled the detonation switch in his hand. Point oh oh five to moon target. Screams erupted in the next room.
    Thirty seconds to firing.

AgentCoop and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    A scene illustrating why the separatists were seceding from the Republic. I believe it's implied that greed/outrage in the face of increasing Republic regulations is the impetus, but it's so, so understated, and I don't believe that everyone who joined the CIS did so for "evil" or cowardly reasons.

Also, seconding Visivious Drakarn big time. At the time, it was essential not to spoil the surprise, but now that we have the full saga, such a scene would have been nice.

12. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I would've loved to have seen what happened after the doors closed on Han and Leia in the dining room with Vader. Also, it would've been interesting to see Leia tell Han who her biological father was.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Darth Maul's actions after the queen's starship escaped Tattooine

The destruction of Otoh Gunga

More of the Battle of Geonosis

More interaction between Dooku and other Jedi

More senate stuff in general

More of the Rebellion vs the Empire

More interaction of the personnel aboard the Death Star

More of Yoda training Luke

I'll post more as they come to me

Darth Dnej likes this.
  14. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    The first few days of Vader being in the suit, flashbacks, his anger etc.

Some sort of altercation with Obi Wan and Uncle Owen, perhaps the dialogue leading up to Kenobi arriving at the homestead, what did he tell Owen?

Chewie kicking more Imperial backside showcasing the might of a Wookiee .. pull a few arms big guy!

Dooku falling to the dark side and Sidious taking him as an apprentice.

Yoda on Kamino, did he need 2 forms of I.D. to pick up the clones?

The bounty hunter on Ord Mantell.

rdhight and CoolyFett like this.
  15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Agreed. I actually wouldn't mind seeing it taken another step further and seeing some of the seeds of the original trilogy's Rebellion born out of the ashes of some of the Separatists in the wake of the Clone Wars.

Darth Dnej and Han Burgundy like this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Same here. I would also add Luke's lightsaber training on Dagobah.

17. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Not to sound like a broken record and keep repeating/quoting myself (I promise I'm not that much in love with myself ;) ) but it just dawned on me how great it would have been to see some material like this in the long-proposed live action television series that Lucas wanted so badly to make. Given the way he described the series and the time period that it seemed to be set in subject matter along the lines of that would have probably fit perfectly.

It really is a shame that that show never happened...

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    • Anakin being knighted
    • Obi-Wan being promoted to Master
    • Vader's landing on Bespin & his first meeting with Lando
    • The Rebel's theft of the 1st Death Star's plans
    • Dooku's first encounter with the real Sidious
    • Han's encounter with the bounty hunter at Ord Mandel
    • Vader making his way back to the Empire after Yavin
    Some sillier ones I'd like to see:
    • Luke chopping up wood, building the pyre & lifting Vader's body onto it
    • What Vader did after he saw the Falcon fly away on Hoth. Just hang out, have a look around or what?
    • How long the Ewok party lasted. How did it end? Were some of them partying for days? Who got drunk?
    • Leia's reaction to being given the slave outfit to wear

19. Chuckskyline

Chuckskyline Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Luke building his Lightsabre before ROTJ
    The difference between Luke in ESB and ROTJ what training did he do? Did he go see Yoda several times? Go to Obi-Wan's house? His Lightsabre is the exact same as Obi-Wans

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

There is a deleted scene showing Luke finishing the construction of the lightsaber:

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured, after Shadows of the Empire, that this scene was more about adjusting it than finishing it.

22. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but something tells me an EU invention that came thirteen years after the release of the film didn't really have any bearing on Lucas, Kasdan, and Marquand when writing/filming that scene. :p

kubricklynch likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Now that we know how lightsabers are usually put together from TCW (the bits floated in the air via telekinesis, and brought together) - the idea that the deleted scene is of adjustment rather than "completion" - does work.

Maybe Lucas deleted it in the first place because he didn't want people to come to the conclusion that Luke had only just finished it.

24. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    An nondescript Darth Plagueis watching Sidious and Maul talking on the balcony.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  25. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I think the more likely reason that it was deleted is because it ruins the "reveal" that comes later when R2 launches Luke the lightsaber on Jabba's sail barge. Up until that point, we don't really know that Luke even has a lightsaber (since he lost Anakin's in TESB) and we've never seen a green one before. It's more dramatic the way we got it in the film.