main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Somehow, I keep seeing Scarlett Johansson with a lightsaber. :p

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

[​IMG]

:p

[​IMG]

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well that gif just took away about 3 hours of my life.

4. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I'll repost these from a discussion we've been having in the Ep. 7 threads. Sophie Turner (Sansa on GoT) as Mara Jade. For a spinoff between RotJ and 7, of course.
    She's been going in and out of the Bad Robot offices lately.
    Disney made a wig out of Karen Gillian's long red hair when they shaved it for GotG. (Big movies use wigs for continuity, doubles, and to save time).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If it's not her, and they want an older Mara closer to Episode 7, then Anna Torv is a favorite of JJ's, plays a mean redhead, and her show is just wrapping up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The endless possibilities at this point are wonderful.
    Thoughts?

Gamma626 and Iron_lord like this.
  5. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    As an older Mara Jade, I still say Annie Wersching. She was the ill-fated Renee Walker from 24's seasons 7 and 8.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Not bad choices. I'd die of happiness if there is a Mara spinoff.

Abadacus likes this.
  7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    What about Sigourney Weaver?

8. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    If they wanted to have her in Episode 7, that would be a great choice. Just about the only age appropriate actress I can think of who would work, in fact (64 vs Mark Hamill's 62).
    That being said, I'm trying not to get my hopes up for Mara to come back to life, I think the best we can hope for is that she remains canon after Ep. 7. Sigourney Weaver is also a bit more recognizable than I would like for a major Star Wars character - my ideal would be for 7 to set the stage for at least one Mara spinoff as the primary vehicle for fleshing out the period between 6 and 7 (along with a Rogue Squadron tv show). We need something to cement what's canon there, and I'd rather most of the spinoffs take place concurrently or after the ST rather than milk nostalgia.
    With a younger, less well known actress taking the part, we could have a long-running series of Mara-centric films slowly catching up to Ep. 7 (or possibly her death) as the actress ages. Done properly, Mara could be a big pillar of the rebuilding of the Star Wars timeline.
    Don't worry, I know that's a pipe dream, but it's one I'll hang onto as long as possible.

Addendum: Actually Gillian Anderson may be a bit young for 7 and a bit old for post-Thrawn era, but she would rock it. Found this, google says it's from these boards (old photo, but still):
    [​IMG]

Amon_Amarth and Iron_lord like this.
  9. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  10. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Ooooh, I so hope this happens! :D

I've seen a blog post speculating on either Weaver or Jodie Foster (can't find the link now). While the later wouldn't be my first choice (she's about 10 years younger than Hammil), it's not such a bad idea.

Abadacus likes this.
  11. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

Fellow Mara Jade fan reporting in.

Abadacus likes this.
  12. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    Welcome, Kato Sai!

Anyone got dreams for Mara in the new continuity? How would you introduce her? What would you feature her in? What would you change about her?
    Let's keep the fanclub alive and get some discussion going.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome Abadacus. I am glad to be here.

I think I would introduce Mara as a feisty Force sensitive bounty hunter or smuggler. Have her encounter Luke during a mission and have Luke act like a Obi-Wan Kenobi to her (since Mark Hamill is too old for romance).

Edit: If they stuck to the EU/Legends, I would have Mara already aged like Luke and them married.

Abadacus and Iron_lord like this.
  14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Rumor is, that she'll be retutning in Luceno's Tarkin in November

Abadacus likes this.
  15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I feel like if Scarlett Johansson played Mara Jade it would be to similar to the Black Widow.

16. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    If they are going to have Mara In my opinion she and Luke would have to be married at this point.

Having a character with the same name without her history and relationship with Luke would be worse to me than not having her at all.

I'd like to keep her alive in Legends only more than I 'd like to see her kept just to be completely changed.

Abadacus and Dak Oolron like this.
  17. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I think Rachelle Lefevre could play a younger Mara. She looks a lot like many of the sketches of Mara throughout the years. She's about 35 and I think she could pull it off. Tried to get a pic of her but it's not cooperating. [face_dunno]

18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    After seeing Edge of Tomorrow, I think Emily Blunt would make a good Mara Jade.

[​IMG]

Abadacus likes this.
  19. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    If (as I'm hoping) Rebels will introduce Mara to the new canon, and if they follow it up with a spinoff about a young Mara Jade, I've got another favorite to suggest.
    I've previously said Sophie Turner, and I'll stick by that - she's got the "cool as ice" attitude down pat and has tremendous range beyond what we've seen on GoT.
    But when it comes to the sarcasm and wry wit that made later Mara great, just about the only person I can picture is Allison Scagliotti:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    She's fairly unknown, but has proven acting chops and fan appeal from Warehouse 13. She can pull off the hair, and she's enough of a geek that she might be cool committing to a character who'll hopefully be coming back again and again.

Addendum / Prompt: Pitch your ideal Mara spinoff!
    I'm still rethinking mine, but if there's interest I'll put it out there.

Amon_Amarth, Iron_lord and Kato Sai like this.
  20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    She certainly has the look of Mara Jade.

Abadacus likes this.
  21. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    The biggest question for how to do a good Mara spinoff: How do you handle her eventual romance with Luke?
    You could just avoid it, which may serve her character better, but leaves the audience hanging, narratively speaking. Their relationship will be a big area to explore if she is in the NU, and her interactions with Luke should be vital to her character arc.
    You could do an 'origin' story, set before they're involved. An easy out, but just delaying. Sequels may still have to get there. Could be perfect to explore her time as Emperor's Hand, anyways. Still possible to include Luke.
    You could recast Luke, definitely not my favorite option.
    You could only include Luke in animated features, so Mark could voice him. (I'd love to see a retold HttE animated series on Netflix. Traditional animation please.)
    Or you could have Luke included 'offscreen' in the form of a hologram or voice transmission that could be done by Mark and touched up. I'm normally very much against digital de-aging, but with a garbled, lo-res encrypted transmission, it could be masked and quite effective. This might allow the most seamless inclusion, but it limits his role in the story. Still my favorite option.

Any of these, and particularly the bottom one, could be fleshed out more with tie-in comics, etc, but shouldn't rely on them for the story or relationship to make sense to the casuals.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think you could do a Mara Jade spin off that has her being The Emperor's Hand until the very end of the film. Have her hunting Luke, but never finding him, and then at the last scene Mara hold a blaster rifle or lightsaber in hand and you see the silhouette of Luke or the back of his head and Black Jedi tunic.

Iron_lord and Abadacus like this.
  23. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Iron_lord and Abadacus like this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I wish they would make a Mara Jade Emperor's Hand Video Game. It would be fun if it played like the Jedi Knights games, but add more extensive RPG elements like in KOTOR. I would be fun if it had a Sherlock Holmes feel, that Mara is hunting Luke as her primary Story Quest, but is also busy with side quests and apprehending enemies of the Empire. It would be fun to have cameos like Han Solo and Chewie.

Han: This payload checks out.

Mara Jade: Not according to Imperial Shipment Laws.

Han: Listen lady.. I don't have time..

Mara Jade: No you listen.. I have jurisdiction to do with you as I will! I could detain you in an Imperial Max Prison, confiscate your ship, and subject you to Imperial truth serums. Better yet, I could just blast you to oblivion. So do not try me!

Chewie: Rwghhh!

Mara Jade: That goes for your fur ball friend too!

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009